Author Topic: Burnt Nylon/Polyester on Exhaust Header  (Read 6236 times)

aziai79

• Scooter
on: January 12, 2012, 05:12:28 pm
Hi Everyone,
Need help desperately. I am the new owner of a 2011 G5 Deluxe, and am in love with the bike. Last night, after getting home from a ride, did the dumbest thing ever: usually wait 30-45 minutes before covering the bike with a nylon (polyester maybe?) cover, but last night was in a rush so put it on quicker. Melted a giant hole in the cover, but more importantly, left a ton of melted nylon or polyester on exhaust header. Sure this is a somewhat common problem (although not with motorcycle cover), and was hoping someone had some suggestions based on first-hand experience to get it off. HELP!
-Aziai79

TCP

• Caseman
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #1 on: January 12, 2012, 05:26:59 pm
I had the same thing happen with a pair of kung fu pants.  The spot was small though, only about dime size.

A little brasso and elbow grease took the stuff right off.
Also works fairly decently for exhaust blueing.

How big an area is it??
The Caseman

"Neither rain nor snow nor sleet nor hail
will keep me from riding unless I can't make bail"

1969 Triumph T120R
1972 Triumph T120R OIF
2011 Royal Enfield C5 Classic Chrome

aziai79

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: January 12, 2012, 05:40:13 pm
Not my proudest moment

E North West

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: January 12, 2012, 05:54:41 pm
I usually try to get it hot to melting and then wipe it off with a 100% cotton cloth. The cotton wont stick - it may burn though, it will take it right off.

TCP

• Caseman
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #4 on: January 12, 2012, 06:13:43 pm
Yeah that sucks all right.

Heating it up again is a good suggestion, but don't make the "footprint" of the thing get too much bigger than it is.

You still will likely have to polish the thing up when you are done wiping off the excess.

Good luck.  Show us how it comes out and what you finally did.

Caseman
The Caseman

"Neither rain nor snow nor sleet nor hail
will keep me from riding unless I can't make bail"

1969 Triumph T120R
1972 Triumph T120R OIF
2011 Royal Enfield C5 Classic Chrome

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
Reply #5 on: January 12, 2012, 07:11:42 pm
aziai79,
I caught a plastic bag early this year.  It was a mess.  My biggest tip is take care of it immediately.  Don't run the bike until you do.  I let it go a few day of commuting and it just COOKED it on more. 

I tried stuff like goo-gone (goo-off?), magic eraser, and all that crap.  The only thing that worked (for me) was varnish-remover with 00 weight steel wool.  A rough-sided sponge might have been better.

However, I must have put just enough tiny (not visible) scratches in the chrome because even after washing it heavily with soap and water and coating it with WD-40, that spot rusted to all hell.  I mean, MASSIVE rust.

I'm wrapping my pipe over the winter.  Daily city commuter - it's bound to happen again.

Good luck!
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #6 on: January 12, 2012, 07:51:24 pm
DON'T use any 3M ScotchBrite pads.  These usually have aluminum oxide or similar abrasive impregnated into them.  These are harder than chrome and will scratch it.

Usually some steel wool, solvents of one kind or another, and gentle pressure will get it off.  Do a search.  There are lots of posts of this exact problem and the methods and results.

Scott

aziai79

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: January 12, 2012, 07:58:36 pm
Thanks everyone...first time bike owner (but long time rider) and got the bike only a month ago so almost went nuts when I saw what you can see in the above pic. Checked some other forums and seem like all the suggestions are some combo of DScotty and Boggys recommendations...will probably try some sort of solvent (acetone?) and 0000 steel wool. Probably seems best to put it on while pipe is warm, but not steaming hot?

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: January 12, 2012, 10:10:42 pm
If it scratches its possible to repair damaged chrome with a kit like this:

http://www.caswellplating.com.au/plug_N_plate.html

Probably not worth it just for one small exhaust job though.

whoguy

• Scooter
  • Hi... I love all things Beautiful...
Reply #9 on: January 12, 2012, 10:29:57 pm
I've done that too!!!!

What I did was this..... It will not scratch your pipes guaranteed!!!

I left the melted plastic on the pipe for a week and continuously rode the bike.

What this did was oxidize the plastic to the point where it will simple flake off the pipe.

What was left were oxidized stains on the chrome and I treated this with Blue Job.

Easy as pie.

Cheers
To ride or not to ride... That is the question!

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #10 on: January 12, 2012, 10:30:32 pm
I wouldn't bother with solvent if it's hot or even warm.  Either warm and wipe with cotton or another non-synthetic fiber or go cold and use solvent.

Also, light pressuer on a razor blade held at a shallow angle may get the bulk of it.  Just don't press hard and damage the chrome.

Scott

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #11 on: January 13, 2012, 01:02:43 am
whooguy"s method sounds like the safest one.  Just let the plastic burn itself off and then lightly polish the area.

Steel wool, being softer than chrome can also be used but DO NOT APPLY ACETONE TO A HOT PIPE.

The Acetone might not explode but it will evaporate immediately leaving nothing to dissolve the plastic.
Acetone also can be absorbed by the human body and it will attack the liver.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: January 13, 2012, 06:33:29 pm
A couple of days ago I was at a helmet shop looking at Bell 500s. I hung my Bilt Pilot on the handlebar as usual. When I came out of the shop and got ready to leave, the helmet was stuck on something. I popped it loose but it had gotten up against the pipe and melted a hole right through it into the foam. The plastic was stuck to the pipe.. I rode it hame and while the goo ws hot, it came off easily with a scraper applied just hard enough to get the goop off. It was still soft and easily removed. No problems with that one at all.
I guess it was a good thing I ordered a 500 to fit. Maybe the Bilt got jealous and committed harikari.I have never seen a helmet melt against a pipe though.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #13 on: January 13, 2012, 07:35:45 pm
Some helmet shells are just plastic, or plastic reinforced with a little fiberglass or similar material.  Others are mostly fiberglass or similar matrix material with just enough resin/plastic to hold it together.  The latter is generally more rigid and stronger and much less likely to melt on contact with heat.

Scott

uRban-x

• Scooter
Reply #14 on: January 14, 2012, 03:15:02 am
what about WD-40 ? Try spraying some on the area and then wiping it off, when the header is cold.
RE Thunderbird Twinspark 350 - 2010