Author Topic: If you had to start from scratch...  (Read 6116 times)

wokka

• Bulleteer
on: January 11, 2012, 05:11:03 am
Got a mate of mine with a C5 and a cozy sidecar,
It's had a hard life even though it's only got 10,000km's on it, being used to carry 6 guys camping gear on a 1,000km ride, long sand road rides, and 70km each way every day to work at 115km/h.

Long story short, the motor finally gave up last night, the bottom end is ok, but the piston and sleeve are stuffed so...

If you could start from scratch, what would you do?

535 kit?
keep it 500 but with an AVL piston?
keep it stock?

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012, 05:53:37 am
To be honest if the stock C5 only survives 10,000 km in that environment its unlikely a hotted up one will last any better.

I would be getting a Ural.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 05:56:34 am
500 with the AVL piston.  Also, one tooth smaller front gear or a few teeth larger rear for more pulling power, high performance front brake pads, steel braided front brake line.

The AVL is a drop in and inexpensive.  No machining, jetting, EFI changes, etc.  Drop it in and go.  The other stuff just makes it go and stop better with the added weight of the car.  Stiffer front springs would be a good idea too, something like 0.90 or 0.95.

If you're going with a 535 that's going to be enough hassle to get tuned anyway.  Don't add that to a sidecar, build a little two wheel hot rod.

Scott

wokka

• Bulleteer
Reply #3 on: January 12, 2012, 05:37:52 pm
Well....  ??? ??? ???

I have never heard of this before, but the crank bolt had worked itself loose, and jammed itself between the primary chain and the case.

Bottom end is fine, top end is carbonated on the piston, but showing burns on the valves and the whole motor stinks of burnt oil

Anyone ever had this happen or heard of it happen?

Maturin

• Grand Gearhead
  • My Precious
Reply #4 on: January 12, 2012, 11:19:49 pm
I´d follow Scotts advice and simply put a new piston in. Maybe it´s a good idea to replace the valves aswell, as the piston obviously died the heat exitus and the valves certainly got their share of degrees, too.
Afterwards mount an oil cooler to avoid futther trouble - or just drive a little more relaxed  ;)
Best regards & happy tinkering
2010 G5
A Garage without a Bullet is a empty, barren hole.

When acellerating the tears of emotion must flow off horizontally to the ears.
Walter Röhrl

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #5 on: January 12, 2012, 11:26:23 pm
+1.  At the least I'd get new valves and lap them in, maybe even regrind the seats if they're badly burned.   Check the cleareance on the valve guides too.

Never heard of that particular bolt coming loose but does anything coming loose on an Enfield surprise you?

Do they have an accessory oil cooler for the UCE bikes?  I know it was easy to plumb one into the older bikes with the external lines.  Either way, an oil cooler for any air/oil cooled bike is always a good idea, especially under the extra load of a sidecar.  Ace, if you're listening this would be a great UCE accessory that hopefully wouldn't require the kind of engineering time that goes into a new cam or other engine internal.

Scott

BRADEY

• Grease Monkey
Reply #6 on: January 13, 2012, 08:19:23 am
Well....  ??? ??? ???

I have never heard of this before, but the crank bolt had worked itself loose, and jammed itself between the primary chain and the case.

Bottom end is fine, top end is carbonated on the piston, but showing burns on the valves and the whole motor stinks of burnt oil

Anyone ever had this happen or heard of it happen?

Damn ! can you suggest from where this bolt came from ??

emule, pandoralimewire

Fox

• Bulleteer
Reply #7 on: January 16, 2012, 03:49:49 am
emule, pandora,  limewire

Dude you've got some spyware on your computer inserting links to some crap. I'd recommend clearing that crap off, changing your passwords and keeping a close eye for unauthorized credit activity.

Also that picture is absurd. I can't think of a single reason why that condition should ever be possible. Someone needs to get acquainted with the use of a torque wrench.
2000 KLR650 - Clack Clack the Sorry Green Bastard
2009 Royal Enfield G5 Deluxe

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #8 on: January 16, 2012, 04:50:07 am
The picture looks like it is of the same bike that was posted in India on the BHP site.

On that bike the bolt head broke the left side cover casting at the same boss that is shown in the picture.

According to that post, the bolt shown is the one that holds the crankshaft output sprocket to the left end of the crankshaft.

Supposedly, RE acknowledged the problem and said the current design had threads which were the wrong hand and they were going to reverse the threads to correct the problem in the future.
I don't know if this is true or not.  I am just relating what I read about it.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

wokka

• Bulleteer
Reply #9 on: January 16, 2012, 06:07:10 pm
The picture looks like it is of the same bike that was posted in India on the BHP site.

On that bike the bolt head broke the left side cover casting at the same boss that is shown in the picture.

According to that post, the bolt shown is the one that holds the crankshaft output sprocket to the left end of the crankshaft.

Supposedly, RE acknowledged the problem and said the current design had threads which were the wrong hand and they were going to reverse the threads to correct the problem in the future.
I don't know if this is true or not.  I am just relating what I read about it.
I wish it was another bike, I wouldn't feel like such a bastard about leaving my mate with out his bike for 3 weeks while the parts come from India.

And yeah it's from the crank output socket

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #10 on: January 16, 2012, 06:10:06 pm
Aside from the obvious crank bolt repair, what's your final decision on what to do about the piston, etc.?

Scott

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: January 16, 2012, 08:04:05 pm
Arizoni is referring to similar incident on another bike in India - here is the link to that discussion on BHP form -

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/112147-re-classic-500-screw-ripped-my-engine-case.html
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 08:06:44 pm by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: January 16, 2012, 10:08:03 pm
Seems like Royal Enfield agreed to fix the one on the BHP forum even though warranty had expired.

Perhaps the owner of this other failed bike should approach them as well.

wokka

• Bulleteer
Reply #13 on: January 17, 2012, 02:13:18 pm
Aside from the obvious crank bolt repair, what's your final decision on what to do about the piston, etc.?

Scott

an AVL piston is on order, then fust a cleanup of the valves,

Seems like Royal Enfield agreed to fix the one on the BHP forum even though warranty had expired.

Perhaps the owner of this other failed bike should approach them as well.

It might be a little more difficult here, there is a political battle going on here with the dealer and a bunch of riders. all servicing on our bikes (including mine and another still in warranty) is done by another garage.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #14 on: January 17, 2012, 06:53:39 pm
I hope the other problems with the engine and the dealers sort out.  Looking forward to hearing about how the AVL piston performs.

Scott

SimonT

• Bulleteer
Reply #15 on: January 17, 2012, 09:36:49 pm
I hope the other problems with the engine and the dealers sort out.  Looking forward to hearing about how the AVL piston performs.

Scott

x2...im really keen to do this in the future.

wokka

• Bulleteer
Reply #16 on: January 18, 2012, 02:23:11 pm
all gaskets were in stock, just waiting on piston and rings

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #17 on: January 18, 2012, 03:29:20 pm
Do they have an accessory oil cooler for the UCE bikes?  I know it was easy to plumb one into the older bikes with the external lines.  Either way, an oil cooler for any air/oil cooled bike is always a good idea, especially under the extra load of a sidecar.  Ace, if you're listening this would be a great UCE accessory that hopefully wouldn't require the kind of engineering time that goes into a new cam or other engine internal.
Scott

Scott,
I have a cooler, but I don't have a UCE to know where it might get plumbed into.

Here's the cooler, styled after an antique radiator, with  pack of cigs for scale.

Home of the Fireball 535 !

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #18 on: January 18, 2012, 03:40:59 pm
I've seen that unit, very nice.  The UCE doesn't have external lines.  I think we'd have to tap into the engine somewhere.  I'll start looking for a spot. 

Scott

SimonT

• Bulleteer
Reply #19 on: January 18, 2012, 10:30:44 pm
That looks cool ace... how much would something like that cost?

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #20 on: January 18, 2012, 11:08:51 pm
I don't think there is a spot on a UCE.

The oil pump pumps directly into the inside of the filter.  After the oil has passed thru the filter it can take one of two branches.  One runs inside the right side cover to the crankshaft and the other passes from the cover back to a another branch.  One of these is a vertical oil passage that runs up the right rear of the cylinder to lubricate the rockers and valves while the other runs over to the hydraulic valve lifters.
All oil returns to the sump by gravity.

I have a oil pressure gauge that I got from my dealer at a bargain price and some day I will install it where the expansion plug exists in the housing.  This plug seals the drilled hole that leads from the oil filter cavity to the crankshaft jet.
Anyway, one could tap into this area but the oil would have to return to the same cavity in order to get to the engines working parts.  If this was done, there would be no pressure difference between the out and the in so oil would not flow thru the cooler.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #21 on: January 18, 2012, 11:54:30 pm
It sounds like the external oil lines are now moved in.  I'd rather tap there than the crank.  I don't want the crank to run dry while I get my oil cooler lines to fill.

Either way, it sounds very non-trivial compared to the old engines.

Scott

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: January 19, 2012, 12:22:08 am
It sounds like the external oil lines are now moved in.  I'd rather tap there than the crank.  I don't want the crank to run dry while I get my oil cooler lines to fill.

Either way, it sounds very non-trivial compared to the old engines.

Scott

Everything you wanted to know about the UCE lubrication system in one little slide show ...

http://www.slideshare.net/classicmw/royal-enfield-uce-lubrication

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: January 19, 2012, 12:43:33 am
Very nice. Thanks for sharing.
GSS
2022 Continental GT 650 Dux Deluxe
2019 Himalayan Snow
2019 Interceptor 650 - Chrome...off the first boat!
Previous REs:
2021 Meteor 350 Supernova Blue
2014 Continental GT 535 - Red...lowest VIN off the first boat!
2010 Classic 500 - Teal Chrome

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #24 on: January 19, 2012, 01:09:11 am
I'd want to pop the cylinder, drill two ports into that ascending oil galley in the case, then place a plug between them.  The oil stream would then exit the new lower port, go to the cooler, return to the new upper port, and proceed up the cylinder to the valve train.  It's basically the same thing that happens on the old engines but we've got to burrow into the case to get to the oil galleys.

That's more machining than I want to deal with.  I'll pass for now.

Scott

wokka

• Bulleteer
Reply #25 on: January 19, 2012, 06:54:52 pm
I'd want to pop the cylinder, drill two ports into that ascending oil galley in the case, then place a plug between them.  The oil stream would then exit the new lower port, go to the cooler, return to the new upper port, and proceed up the cylinder to the valve train.  It's basically the same thing that happens on the old engines but we've got to burrow into the case to get to the oil galleys.

That's more machining than I want to deal with.  I'll pass for now.

Scott

ditto