Author Topic: "English Russia"  (Read 3070 times)

Sam Simons

• Grease Monkey
on: January 10, 2012, 03:07:50 am
 Is the name of this photo based,updated daily journal about Soviet life,both past & present. Definitely worth
bookmarking,especially the  military category (and in particular,the deserted military 'objects',as they are called).

http://englishrussia.com/

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 08:31:45 am
Interesting.....bizarre......bookmarked.  Thanks.   :)
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

mikail gransee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: January 10, 2012, 04:04:14 pm
Seems like they almost had it "better" under tyhe "old rule"

Cool historic pictures.
-"ONCE YOU STOP CONTRIBUTING, YOU BEGIN TO DIE",   -ELENOR ROOSEVELT

1999 Enfield Bullet
1977 Yamaha xs360 TD
1978 Yamaha xs 400 D
2005 Yamaha YZF 600R
2007 Honda CBR 1000RR

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: January 11, 2012, 12:30:08 am
If you want to see some truly impressive Cold War ruins search around for "Željava Air Base".

it was a six billion dollar Soviet built underground airbase in the former Yugoslavia destroyed by the Serbs back in the early 90's to prevent Bosnia using it.

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #4 on: January 12, 2012, 05:16:03 pm
That is one good website! 4 lunch hours and I'm not even near the bottom..
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

Sam Simons

• Grease Monkey
Reply #5 on: January 12, 2012, 08:48:33 pm
 '  That is one good website!...'

It certainly is.... The hundreds of deserted military ,industrial and research facilities ,now in advanced decay,all built at the sacrifice of the Soviet population is shocking.....Not to mention the resulting problems such as contamination,increased crime,poverty,etc. As shitty as life was in the old USSR,it certainly appears to be worse now....

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: January 12, 2012, 10:18:35 pm
'  That is one good website!...'

It certainly is.... The hundreds of deserted military ,industrial and research facilities ,now in advanced decay,all built at the sacrifice of the Soviet population is shocking.....Not to mention the resulting problems such as contamination,increased crime,poverty,etc. As shitty as life was in the old USSR,it certainly appears to be worse now....

There was a small window of opportunity after the breakup of the USSR for the west to use a combination of investment and judicious aid money to move the old soviet bloc countries across to  a more functional economy with a democratic/capitalist outlook. Sadly the situation was apparently seen as an opportunity to remove the "Soviet military threat" by undermining the economies instead. Rather short sighted in retrospect.

Sam Simons

• Grease Monkey
Reply #7 on: January 14, 2012, 04:20:46 pm
Well then,if we'd attempted to 'save them' (as we have many others),we wouldn't have this interesting website to
enjoy now.......

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: January 15, 2012, 12:07:29 am
depending who u talk too...we may need saving...i wonder who'se in line to help us?..like the website though////
Oh Magoo you done it again

Sam Simons

• Grease Monkey
Reply #9 on: January 15, 2012, 04:03:08 am
 "Who's in line..." That's a hellouva good thread topic,GM. Let's keep this subject on topic and start another called "who's in line" and  by the process of group elimination,we can determine just exactly who that'll be....I'll go first.

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: January 15, 2012, 03:49:13 pm
nah it was just a brief thought but it is a interesting website...Some weird stuff too...Some of it reminds me of the Belarus landscape when I visited there 10 years ago..I found most of the people scared to talk to me and always felt a wary eye cast over me while visiting those places...
Oh Magoo you done it again

single

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: January 19, 2012, 12:33:28 pm
Looking at some of this,the Russians appear  to be human.On a certain level,anyway.

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Reply #12 on: January 19, 2012, 08:05:09 pm
Those humans turn up everywhere. The whole planet's crawlin with em..
Some of em even got beards and turbans & such....
And get this - some of em got different ideas than me about all sorts of stuff....
 Un-be-fuckin-lievable.......    ;)
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

Desi Bike

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: January 20, 2012, 12:01:35 am
The 2leep links have gotten me trapped in the 'net many times on the past. unfortunately it's blocked on my corporate system..lol.
میں نہیں چاہتا کہ ایک اچار
میں صرف اپنی موٹر سائیکل پر سوار کرنا چاہتے ہیں

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: January 20, 2012, 01:12:03 am

And get this - some of em got different ideas than me about all sorts of stuff....
 Un-be-fuckin-lievable.......    ;)

haha you get that

I do find it amusing to point out to my American friends that whilst a corporate manipulated democratic political system and an obsession with personal rights over all other obligations combined with free market consumer greed may be seen as the obvious best way to do things in America ... they are not valued so highly elsewhere, particual in third world countries in the midst of famine and civil war :D