Author Topic: New G5 Military  (Read 4281 times)

idk

• Bulleteer
on: January 09, 2012, 09:14:34 pm
G'day all,

I have been riding Triumph bikes for a few years and currently have an RIII but recently managed to get a new '09 G5 Military to supplement it.  :)  I love the bike and it took a while to find what I wanted but was well worth the journey. I have a couple of questions though.

First, the VIN came up as either a kit vehicle or a state issued vehicle and so my insurance company (Progressive) wouldn't give full coverage insurance. How do y'all get full coverage?

Second, can a 19t front sprocket be fitted to a G5 or is 18t as big as you can go?

Third, is there a way of hooking the ECU up to a computer? I had a quick look but couldn't find an OBDII connecter.

I have been looking through this forum for a while and have found lots of useful info, which helped me in my decision. I hadn't been able to post because some sort of glitch delayed my site registration, but I thank you all for what I have learned so far.
Ego iustus volo meus motorcycle equitare

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #1 on: January 09, 2012, 09:19:52 pm
If you're in the US comtact our host, Classic Motor Works, and ask them to help with the VIN/title.  They import all the Enfields in this country so should be able to help.

Motorcycles have not gone to OBD2 yet.  Each manufacturer still has their own proprietary ECU and connectivity.  Many bikes can work with aftermarket software/connectors from Techno Research but they don't have any for the Enfield yet.  I think the factory sell a computer to hook in but it's pricey and most dealers don't even have one.

Scott

idk

• Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012, 10:08:23 pm
Thanks for the quick reply. I live in Maryland and so will check into the VIN with CMW. The reason I asked about the OBD is that I have a couple of programmes that can retune and troubleshoot the ECU in my RIII. I figure that it may be wishful thinking for the RE though, but that it couldn't hurt to ask.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 10:23:35 pm
If there are problems you can get to the engine light to 'blink' out the pattern of the error by grounding a diagnostic line that is in the electrics box.  I think it's detailed in the owner's manual and the codes are posted in a few places in this forum.  That and a multimeter is about all you need to diagnose any electric/electrnics problems on this bike.

Scott

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: January 09, 2012, 10:28:46 pm
Welcome.

Are you sure its a G5 Military? i thought you Americans only got the C5 as a military ?

If its a C5 the standard front is 18 tooth and the max front socket size will depend on whether you have a kickstart model or not. I think you might be limited to 19 or at the most 20 if you have a kickstart as the kickstart shaft gets in the way. The non-kickstart engines have a bit more scope as you can apparently dremel out the casing if need be.

If it really is a G5 then you start out at 17 tooth so 19 is probably as big as you need anyway.

Bigger rear sprockets are available but NOT smaller rear. There is some scope for "fine tuning" the gearing by fitting as large a front as possible than playing around with larger rear sprockets to get an "in between" ratio. However, seriously, with the huge torque over a broad band of a bulleet motor there is no real need to precisoin tune rear ratios.

There was a recent thread about front sprockets a week or so back that is worth a read.

http://server8.kproxy.com/servlet/redirect.srv/sruj/sbowolqgekgfxgafdme/syza/p1/forum/index.php/topic,12825.0.html
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 10:37:00 pm by GlennF »

idk

• Bulleteer
Reply #5 on: January 09, 2012, 11:59:23 pm
Thanks. It really is a G5 Military. :)  I started my journey by looking at the models on the web and narrowing it down to a couple of models and colours. I wanted a kick-start, and I hoped to get an old stock bike so that I could get a good price. My preferred model, originally, was the green and gold  G5, but when I saw it I was not happy with the shade of green. I saw the Military, but they only came in the C5 series and didn't have kick starts, unless I waited for a 2012 and was willing to pay top dollar.

It became an annoying problem, until a 2009 G5 Military popped up on a well know auction site. I phoned the dealer, made a deal, drove to Chicago, put it on the truck, and drove it home. Apparently they brought a few into the country when the UCE models first came out. I think that I may have got the last one. :)

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #6 on: January 10, 2012, 01:06:23 am
Yes, as I recall there were just a handful of G5 militaries that made it into the states and I think only 2009 models.  That kinda makes it the rarest of the rare.  They look nice and the G5 frame fits some of the older accessories like ammo can luggage that doesn't work on the C5.

Scott

Maturin

• Grand Gearhead
  • My Precious
Reply #7 on: January 10, 2012, 03:47:20 pm
Welcome idk! Could I trouble you with some pictures? A G5 military is an extremly rare breed, and I have never seen one. Regards
Maturin
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 03:50:34 pm by Maturin »
2010 G5
A Garage without a Bullet is a empty, barren hole.

When acellerating the tears of emotion must flow off horizontally to the ears.
Walter Röhrl

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #8 on: January 10, 2012, 05:42:28 pm
http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photos/2010models/2010-RoyalEnfield-BulletG5MilitaryEFI.htm

Not sure if the solo seat, rear rack, green wheels and fork were stock on the US models.

Scott

idk

• Bulleteer
Reply #9 on: January 10, 2012, 06:17:47 pm
Here is a pic. It was taken by cell phone so please excuse the quality, and the mess in the shed.

Does anybody know where I can get the ammo can panniers?

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #10 on: January 10, 2012, 08:44:27 pm
This page has a set from Hitchcock's (scroll down):
http://www.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/accessory-frame-luggage
But unfortunately they say they won't fit EFI models :(  You may want to drop them an e-mail and see if they can be easily modified.

Scott

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: January 11, 2012, 01:35:00 am
I have been riding Triumph bikes for a few years and currently have an RIII but recently managed to get a new '09 G5 Military to supplement it.  :)  

Welcome to the Forum:

I am writing this because my 2009 G5 and several others were recalled due to clearance problem in transmission. That was the first year these UCE bikes were introduced. After repairs, it has been running great.  Later models 2010-2012 do not have this issue.

For safety reasons, make sure that your bike was fitted with upgraded transmission. If it was not done, the parts will grind and can even jam (in worst case scenario) causing serious problem when running at moderately high speed.  
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 01:47:00 am by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

idk

• Bulleteer
Reply #12 on: January 11, 2012, 03:48:17 am
That sounds like a serious problem. Is there an official recall and/or recall number that I can reference? Could the dealer have done this upgrade while he had it in the shop?

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #13 on: January 11, 2012, 04:13:16 am
Check the engine serial number near the left foot peg.  If ther are some punch marks in front of it it was probably already done.  Contact CMW with your chassis and engine numbers to be sure.  If it hasnt been done already they should be able yo help you get it done for no cost.

Scott

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #14 on: January 11, 2012, 04:20:11 am
The 2009 transmission fix was a DOT mandated requirement but I don' t know what the number was.

At the time, Royal Enfield sent over a team of engineers and mechanics with the needed parts to preform the fix.

The dealer I bought my 2011 G5 from said he and his mechanic did the repair which involved replacing  at least one of the gears in the transmission.

I may be wrong but I think that Classic Motor Works will have a record of every serial number that was repaired.
As was mentioned earlier they should also have records of the serial number of your motorcycle.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

bebopper

• Scooter
  • Military G-5
Reply #15 on: January 14, 2012, 04:30:21 am
On the left side of the engine serial number there should be a  :  indicating it was done at CMW. Also, if you take a mirror and look at the top of the rocker boxes, you'll find the mechanics initials and the part number. I understand some fixes were done at dealers. I have one of these rarities made in 3/09, done at CMW by MO.