Author Topic: 7" tribar headlight install  (Read 7615 times)

jonapplegate

• Grand Gearhead
  • you stand tall when you stoop to help
on: April 05, 2008, 06:28:35 pm
 I received a 7" headlight conversion recently and am somewhat baffled as to how it is supposed to fit inside with that big bundle of wires taking up all the space? I tried to move the prongs out of the way but no use. What is the secret?

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: April 05, 2008, 09:53:20 pm
     Jon, this isn't a big deal. Most bikes have a bunch of wires there. Just move things around until it fits.   Some bikes might have a connector or little component clipped in place. If necessary move it and bend the clips flat so you can fit the lamp. Call me if you need more help.

zmanski

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: April 06, 2008, 01:19:37 pm
I had the very same problem with my tri-bar headlight.  To solve it I cut off the soft, green plastic protection sleeves covering the female plugs then made the connections and wrapped them with electrical tape.  Problem solved with a lot less pressure on the screws holding the assembly together. 
2006 Bullet Iron
2001 1200 Sportster

JJ1234567

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: April 06, 2008, 11:34:08 pm
I also recently got the 7inch tribar.  I havent gotten as far as you have lol.  Im still having issues with the "W" clips.  Im afraid Im at a loss on how to put them in.  They keep falling out, so I must be doing something wrong? 

mbevo1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Mike and Stumpy
Reply #4 on: April 06, 2008, 11:56:14 pm
JJ -

They go in like this...

Mike and Stumpy (with a 7") in Michigan

[old attachment deleted by admin]
'07 Classic - Stumpy
'10 C5 Military - Sherman

zmanski

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: April 07, 2008, 01:38:03 am
The W clips are a pain.  The picture Mike and Stumpy show are how they are mounted.  I found with mine if the top of the light is 12 o'clock mounting the clips at 4 and 7 seems to work.  At any other location they will not hold.  Push them in with your fingers until the the ends spread and lock into place.  You will know they are holding when they scratch the back of the plastic headllight as you push them in.
Good luck.
2006 Bullet Iron
2001 1200 Sportster

JJ1234567

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: April 07, 2008, 02:10:00 am
Thanks M+S for the picture.  However, Im still perplexed.   ???  What is making the clip spred?  Your ring in the picture looks like it has another hump inside?   I feel really dense.  so what i gather is you put the bulb in the ring,  and then do your best to insert the clips.  With the U part of the clip facing towards the center...so what is spreading the top?

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I loved this bike!!
Reply #7 on: April 07, 2008, 12:37:41 pm
zmanski may have the fingers to spread the clip but I had to use some needle nose pliers.  Hook one side under the lip of the rim and use the pliers to spread apart and poke the other side under the lip.  Another set of hands makes it easier.

With the U part of the clip facing towards the center...so what is spreading the top?
2009 Triumph Bonneville T100
2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5 (RIP)
2001 Kawasaki W650 (going, going...gone)
http://www.romeoriders.com

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: April 07, 2008, 04:09:00 pm
     WEAR EYE PROTECTION when handling these clips. They will go SPROINGGGGGG! right into your eye if you slip. This is a good picture of the installed clip. To get here hook one end under the rim. Hook the other end with the tip of a Phillips screw driver. Place the assembly on your work bench. Steady  the back of the lamp with your thumb. Hold the rim by curling your other fingers under it. Your palm should now be over the clip. This will keep it from spring far. Now press down with the point of your Phillips and hook the clip under the rim. I am not kidding about the eye protection. I learned from the experience of some one else. Good luck.

JJ1234567

• Scooter
Reply #9 on: April 07, 2008, 04:47:07 pm
Let me re-phrase my question.  Where is the pressure that would cause this clip to spring coming from?  Is the clip supposed to be pressing against the back edge of the lights lip, or is it holding the light from the outside edge?

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I loved this bike!!
Reply #10 on: April 07, 2008, 05:18:39 pm
  The D shaped part of the clip is pressing against the back edge of the light's lip, right against the glass.  The pressure comes when the clip is spread into the W shape as shown in the photo.

Let me re-phrase my question.  Where is the pressure that would cause this clip to spring coming from?  Is the clip supposed to be pressing against the back edge of the lights lip, or is it holding the light from the outside edge?
2009 Triumph Bonneville T100
2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5 (RIP)
2001 Kawasaki W650 (going, going...gone)
http://www.romeoriders.com

StL_Stadtroller

• Bulleteer
Reply #11 on: April 07, 2008, 07:24:15 pm
Obviously, a man who's never owned a pre-'67 VW before! lol

+1 on eye protection. One slip and these things will fire off into orbit.  They do a good job of puncturing the skin on your fingers too.

1) set headlam housing down into the chrome ring
2) one "end" of the spring you'll hook up into the curled lip of the ring, with the "bendy bit" down against the lamo as the above picture shows.
3) using fingers, pliers, etc mash down on the other end of the spring, forcing it "wider" and then hook it up into the lip of the headlam ring. 
4) repeat until you've got it clipped all around. 
viola!

optional:
5) realize that while the tri-bar headlamp looks really cool, it totally sucks at putting light down onto the road at night and you'll have to go back and do the job over again with a real headlamp.  >:(

good luck!
Brian Wittling, St. Louis, MO
Her Majesty's Own Royal Enfield Motoring Enthusiast Society
Member Emeritus
https://www.facebook.com/brian.wittling

JJ1234567

• Scooter
Reply #12 on: April 09, 2008, 05:06:39 pm
Well, Id like to thank everyone for their help.  However, I just dont get it.  So Im going to put the old headlight back on for now, and Set this aside for a little bit before I get too angry with it.

Mr_Gently

• Scooter
Reply #13 on: April 09, 2008, 05:07:34 pm
Those little W clips will indeed fly through the air like missiles if they slip out of your grip while you're trying to bend them into the slots.   I've had to deal with those pesky critters on my old microbus and my vintage vespas.   Another thing is, they are very easy to just LOSE, as they will fly great distances and land in the most obscure places.   A man who can get a headlight lens assembly put back together with ALL of those little clips still in place, and none of them broken is a man to be admired!