Author Topic: Moving the Kick Start Lever  (Read 2933 times)

fredgold52

• Grease Monkey
  • Macomb, IL Flatlands Rule
on: April 02, 2008, 11:20:20 pm
I've read a few times in posts by LotusSevenMan about him moving his kick start lever to a more vertical position.  That making it easier to kick all the way through when starting.  Well, I had a few minutes with nothing to do, so I moved mine too.

On mine, moving it two notches clockwise was too much.  The lever bottomed out solidly at the end of the stroke.  So I backed it off one notch for a net movement clockwise of one notch.  It makes a big difference in kicking the engine.

This allows the rider to kick the engine completely through it's cycle, giving it a much better chance of starting.  It seems less likely to kick back because of this new relationship.  I haven't really noticed it rubbing against my ankle or anything either.

This would be something I would recommend to other Bullet kickers to try.  It only takes a minute or two to do the job.
2006 '65' and a 200cc Stella, Indian all the way

geoffbaker

Reply #1 on: April 03, 2008, 03:40:29 am
Yep, it makes a difference.

I broke my kickstart spring a couple of weeks back, so when I replaced it I had to figure out the best position to set the kickstart at at the top of the stroke.

Just a few degrees below vertical seems about right. Room for a good kick!

By the way, I've finally joined the ranks of all those fans who can really say "she starts with one kick!"

Most of the time, now, I can do it. The only times I 've had problems in the past couple of days - - well, once I had shut off the petcock. The other time, the kill switch was still on. Doh!

deejay

Reply #2 on: April 03, 2008, 06:32:42 pm
The other time, the kill switch was still on. Doh!

happens to the best of us, more than a few times  ;D

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2003 ES 500... 38,416 miles, I'm done
Reply #3 on: April 04, 2008, 04:37:49 am
Yep, it makes a difference. - - well, once I had shut off the petcock. The other time, the kill switch was still on. Doh!
It's official...   YOU ARE A BULLETEER!!
[/size]
                 - Mike
'My dear you are ugly,
 but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly'
 - Winston Churchill