Author Topic: G5 speedometer vs. Garmin GPS  (Read 2719 times)

Jack Leis

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 G5 Classic, F&%king Stolen
on: January 06, 2012, 09:16:52 pm
  my curiosity got the best of me today and decided to compare my speedometer against my trusty Garmin c330 streetpilot. I half ass-ed mounted the gps to the top of my tank and went for a spin. All the way from 15 to 75 mph the speedometer was reading exactly 5 mph over what the gps was reading. I have checked the gps on long trips in the past with mileage markers and it has always been spot on. Next time I have a cop behind me at least I know to subtract the 5mph.
I would much rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow    Jack

birdmove

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: January 07, 2012, 02:13:39 am
....and that is about industry standard for motorcycles and scooter.

Jon
Jon in Keaau, Hawaii

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: January 07, 2012, 02:32:51 am
My C5 was off by about the same with OEM tires.
2022 Continental GT 650 Dux Deluxe
2019 Himalayan Snow
2019 Interceptor 650 - Chrome...off the first boat!
Previous REs:
2021 Meteor 350 Supernova Blue
2014 Continental GT 535 - Red...lowest VIN off the first boat!
2010 Classic 500 - Teal Chrome

Alan LaRue

• Bulleteer
  • Commute Time is Not the Worst Time of Day
Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 06:50:49 pm
On previous bikes, it has seemed that the speedometer was about 10% high. When it said 60, it was really only doing 54. 70 was really 63. I had only ever done the math by looking at a clock and mile markers, which isn't easy to do while riding a motorcycle. But in typical freeway traffic my experience told me that at an indicated 77 I was doing about 70.

The B5 didn't seem to be that far off, so I finally rode with a GPS today. Interestingly, it is further off at low speeds. An indicated 40 mph is only 35. However, an indicated 70 mph is actually 67, about what I figured from the traffic flow. The odd thing to me is that it isn't a certain percentage off, but I guess that's the nature of the electro-mechanical speedometer.

I've never been on a motorcycle that read high, so following the indicated speed always puts you slower than traffic and safe from law enforcement, unless they wonder why you're going so slowly.

Both of my current cars and the last car I had matched the GPS exactly. I understand why the RE is imprecise, but for most modern motorcycles to read so high I think must be deliberate.
Chinese food beats hopes and dreams any day.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: April 09, 2012, 07:01:07 pm
Most of the bikes I've had in the last 20 years read about 10% high, mostly Hondas and Triumphs.
My Enfield reads like Alan's which, for me, is close enough for gum't work.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

bman734

• Grease Monkey
  • If it smells nasty, don't eat it
Reply #5 on: April 10, 2012, 09:16:25 pm
Allen, sounds like a conspiracy going on over at RE.
Royal Enfield C5 Military
Suzuki SP370
Honda CX650
Yamaha XS650

Alan LaRue

• Bulleteer
Reply #6 on: April 10, 2012, 09:22:15 pm
Conspiracy... It did sound like that's what I was saying. What I meant was that 1) the RE is unusually accurate and 2) maybe the Japanese manufacturers bend over backward to make sure their speedos don't read low.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: April 10, 2012, 11:22:01 pm
My RE is considerably more accurate than any Japanese bike I've owned. They were all about 10% off. I used to add that to the RE, then found I was running10% over the speed limit. That could be enough to get a ticket!

Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: April 10, 2012, 11:40:44 pm
60 still feels like 60 to me on my enfield...I would hate to get a speeding ticket on a enfield..I mean come on give me a break officer...Its not a crotch rocket...Never GPS mine but I'm sure its off by 3 - 5 MPH...
Oh Magoo you done it again

bman734

• Grease Monkey
  • If it smells nasty, don't eat it
Reply #9 on: April 11, 2012, 02:07:43 pm
When going 65 mph according to the speedo, I don't want to go any faster on these damn things to achieve a REAL 65 mph. I already feel like I'm going to be blown off the bike and it is also a reminder that I must be on the wrong road because these bikes are meant for back road fun, not freeway cruising. At least in my humble opinion.
Royal Enfield C5 Military
Suzuki SP370
Honda CX650
Yamaha XS650

Alan LaRue

• Bulleteer
Reply #10 on: April 11, 2012, 04:36:54 pm
I understand that "made for back roads" thought, and I'm sure a lot of people would wonder why I didn't get a V-Strom 650 or some such, but I actually bought the B5 intending to commute on it. That means a 36-miles-each-way ride, 33 of which are on I-10 (right through downtown Houston). Other than not having found a windshield that really suits me, I've been very happy with it for that purpose! It was nice to get some confirmation as to the seat-of-my-pants feeling about my actual speed.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #11 on: April 11, 2012, 05:15:41 pm
I understand that "made for back roads" thought, and I'm sure a lot of people would wonder why I didn't get a V-Strom 650 or some such, but I actually bought the B5 intending to commute on it. That means a 36-miles-each-way ride, 33 of which are on I-10 (right through downtown Houston). Other than not having found a windshield that really suits me, I've been very happy with it for that purpose! It was nice to get some confirmation as to the seat-of-my-pants feeling about my actual speed.

Speedos are notoriously Wrong. On my last garage-built bike I hooked up an electronic speedo (Sigma Sport BC 800). It is VERY accurate. You set it by measuring the distance in inches that your tire travels in X number of revolutions. Using a formula, you then input this to the computer & it gives you MPH & a dozen other things if you care. All I want is MPH & total mileage.

The sender is fastened on the rear frame. The trigger is J-B Welded adjacent to it on the rear sprocket. Totally unnoticeable.

The readout is an inch square & barely noticeable on my handlebar right next to the riser.
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

Alan LaRue

• Bulleteer
Reply #12 on: April 11, 2012, 05:54:20 pm
I would use the trip odometer feature. I may eventually get one of those.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #13 on: April 11, 2012, 07:41:37 pm
Lots of guys who do long distance rides mount bicycle computers.  Just check the web and make sure to get one that's accurate at higher speeds.  Some don't work so well over 50mph.  I always thought I'd use one of these if I ever did a custom build, they're so small you don't even know they're there.

Scott

Lwt Big Cheese

• Grand Gearhead
  • Getting there, slowly...
Reply #14 on: April 11, 2012, 09:20:05 pm
FWIW my speedo cable was missing when I bought my bike.

I fitted a cycle speedo and when checked with a gps it's very accurate

My car is 10% high.
No warranty implied or given.
Packed in a protective atmosphere.
May contain nuts.