Author Topic: Customizing a New R.E. from the dealer?  (Read 4131 times)

bittercrick

• Bulleteer
  • C-5 Chrome
Reply #15 on: January 11, 2012, 02:57:15 pm
For what it's worth i'd keep the VW if any way possible.I'm thinkin otherwise you end up with sellers remorse and possibly buyers remorse both of which suck, been there.
bittercrick
bikes Triumph 06 T100 - 01 Triumph Adventurer - RE C-5 chrome -78 Honda GL1000-83 Honda CB1100F

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #16 on: January 11, 2012, 08:29:05 pm
1.  Nope.  And they don't make other bikes in that color so you couldn't even buy a new tank.  You'd have to get yours painted custom at a shop.

2.  That's your decision to make.  The VW Is better basic transportation since it's a car with 4 seats and luggage space but the RE is probably cheaper and easier to do mods on if you want a project to play with.

Scott

metalmongrel

• Scooter
Reply #17 on: January 12, 2012, 01:36:22 am
Yeah I was being sarcastic about my VW, I can't imagine giving that up.

That's a real bummer about the gas tank options...  I guess i'd have to get it custom painted, but I kinda of like things to be original.

One more question, if I were to get the C5 and remove the sprung seat and replace it with the Corbin un-sprung seat, will the ride feel rougher?  Is the sprung seat really meant to absorb that much shock or is it more cosmetic?  Don't want to shoot myself in the foot just for the sake of looks.

I know the bullet doesn't have a sprung seat, but are the rear shocks on that model different to compensate for it?   Thx

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: January 12, 2012, 02:04:08 am
Sprung seats date back to rigid frames.

If your seat has enough padding there should be no need for springs.

Maturin

• Grand Gearhead
  • My Precious
Reply #19 on: January 16, 2012, 09:31:25 am
Metalmongrel,
Its always great fun to build a bike according to your very own image. Especially the Bullet offers almost unlimited possibilities, as there is a big number of aftermarket parts available. Its even more in case of the B5, but of course you can tinker a long time at your C5, too.
If I may offer advice: ride first and wrench afterwards. When you've run in the bike you simply know better what you have to change.
I was surprised how usable this bike is, so my plans for alterations were cut down significantly. I spend the money for gasoline instead ;D
2010 G5
A Garage without a Bullet is a empty, barren hole.

When acellerating the tears of emotion must flow off horizontally to the ears.
Walter Röhrl

P. Schraub

• Bulleteer
Reply #20 on: January 16, 2012, 03:06:03 pm
Hello metalmongrel,
      I have a 2010 G5 Deluxe with a Le Pera solo sprung seat, ( 3" springs ). Yes, it makes a difference. A smoother ride and it does look cool ! It's so comfortable, that I also installed one on my 78' Harley shovelhead. When your doing long rides, your back really appreciates it !

St. Beardface

• Scooter
Reply #21 on: March 01, 2012, 03:23:10 pm
I know the bullet doesn't have a sprung seat, but are the rear shocks on that model different to compensate for it?   Thx

My 2010 bullet C5 came with a sprung seat but I hard mounted a bobber seat and it vibrates like crazy. It's like a nice massage.

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,12468.0.html