Author Topic: Clutch Pull break  (Read 1241 times)

Dallastheologian

• Scooter
on: January 04, 2012, 05:42:34 am
The tip of my clutch lever broke off. I am guessing someone broke it off when opening a car door into it or jamming it with something pretty hard.

It still works, but it doesn't have a knob at the end and is too short to fit 4 fingers on (more like two and a half now). What should I do? Is it easy to replace or should I take it in? Can I ride with it like that until I can get a new one? Thanks in advance.

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: January 04, 2012, 05:52:29 am
Enfields are not great at changing gears without a clutch, however so long as you can still operate the clutch and actually change gears with two fingers on the clutch lever it should be fine to ride.

Maturin

• Grand Gearhead
  • My Precious
Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, 12:53:18 pm
This kind of damage happens quite frequently when the bike tumbles over and 180kg land on the small, poor lever. I never heard about a lever breaking when rammed by an opening door - if so, the guy with the door probably will see quite a dent  ;D
However, check the whole bike for damage, especially if the handlebar is still symetric and not bent in any way. Possibly someone knocked it over and, when noone was looking, lifted it and pretended to be invisible.
When the lever is bent you may not be able to pull it all the way. But it´s easy to replace: the bolt with the 10mm head similarily is the axis the lever is turning in. The bolt is fastened with a 8mm nut (or maybe 7 or 9mm - couldn´t see it well) from below. Open it up, push out the bolt and fumble out the clutch cable - it´s simply hooked up.
Take care of the small pin that is plugged in a little whole in the control´s case. It probably will take the flight if given the chance. It operates the kill switch to ensure you´re pulling the clutch when you try to start the bike.
Regards
2010 G5
A Garage without a Bullet is a empty, barren hole.

When acellerating the tears of emotion must flow off horizontally to the ears.
Walter Röhrl