Author Topic: The Badger  (Read 2168 times)

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I loved this bike!!
on: January 02, 2012, 04:54:52 am
Nice one page spread on The Badger in the new Motorcyclist magazine.
2009 Triumph Bonneville T100
2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5 (RIP)
2001 Kawasaki W650 (going, going...gone)
http://www.romeoriders.com

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: January 02, 2012, 02:02:22 pm
The SS Badger ?
1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I loved this bike!!
Reply #2 on: January 02, 2012, 02:55:55 pm
The SS Badger ?

No, this one doesn't float, it walks on the water.
2009 Triumph Bonneville T100
2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5 (RIP)
2001 Kawasaki W650 (going, going...gone)
http://www.romeoriders.com

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ride carefully - You are invisible.
Reply #3 on: January 03, 2012, 03:31:16 am
The Badgers were flattened by the Ducks today!   :D

Rose Bowl, that is.
A Royal Enfield owner's cup is always half full.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #4 on: January 03, 2012, 12:23:40 pm
Cool!
Thanks for posting!
I haven't seen or heard abut this, so I'm gonna go out and get a copy.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

mikail gransee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: January 04, 2012, 06:43:51 pm
-"ONCE YOU STOP CONTRIBUTING, YOU BEGIN TO DIE",   -ELENOR ROOSEVELT

1999 Enfield Bullet
1977 Yamaha xs360 TD
1978 Yamaha xs 400 D
2005 Yamaha YZF 600R
2007 Honda CBR 1000RR

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: January 04, 2012, 10:48:16 pm
So what actually is happening with the badger ? The last report I saw was a few months back and they had totally cooked the clutch trying to flat track it.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #7 on: January 06, 2012, 12:34:25 pm
So what actually is happening with the badger ? The last report I saw was a few months back and they had totally cooked the clutch trying to flat track it.

I haven't talked to Leon in a while, but I think the gearbox had a bearing problem or shaft problem, and required some attention.
Clutch also had problems.

There was a plan to do a flying mile LSR run, but I think that went by the boards because of the gearbox problems needing fixed.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

cycleicons

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: January 07, 2012, 11:57:40 pm
Nah, the Badger is fine and enjoying its winter hibernation. It was a helluva year, and it deserves a rest.

A new mainshaft, and a few other bits later, the gear box is as good as new. The Newby clutch should put those issues to bed as well, though it hasn't received a full on race test yet.

We had hoped to make the last ECTA event at Maxton last October, but an unexpected hospital visit by Mom and a dicey couple of weeks made it seem like not the best time to travel 500 miles from home. Could just imagine THAT untimely phone call. Anyway, she's fine now, and is back to her usual tough as nails self. But the episode certainly made the point, that while all this Badger stuff is a blast; there are other, larger priorities in life. But we haven't forgotten about a speed trial and we have a plan B. Stay tuned.

2011 left us with a lot of unfinished business, but 2012 is starting with bang. Obviously the Motorcyclist piece was great fun and is kind of leading off Cycle Icons' first quarter PR push. We are under the gun to have a new UCE based project done and on the RE stand at the IMS show in NYC in a couple of weeks; and we will be busy promoting that bike in the weeks afterward.

As we speak, film maker Rob Kolodny is working on what will be a nice 7-10 minute short of the whole Badger build and Mid-Ohio weekend. We had envisioned a bigger, more grandiose  production; but when funds are limited..... you do the best you can, with what you have. But Rob is really excited to tell the story, and I'm sure it will be a compelling little vid. So stay tuned for that also.

We are currently brainstorming, and putting together the 2012 race program. That of course, always comes down to money as well. But if we can find the funds, we will hopefully finally get some real development done on the Badger. Dyno time, some track tests, and run some choice road race events. Mid-Ohio, Barber, etc. The bike deserves its chance to show its true potential.

I spoke with Peter yesterday and he brought up Bonneville. That would be a very ambitious undertaking unto itself, but you never know.

But it is going to be an exiting year. I have no doubt about that. Can't wait. As always, thanks to everyone for the support and good vibes. And best wishes to everyone for a happy, healthy, and prosperous New Year.

Cheers,
Leon
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 02:52:06 am by cycleicons »

72westie

• Grease Monkey
Reply #9 on: January 09, 2012, 03:41:13 pm
Mid-Ohio sounds like a good idea!  We will have to try and figure out some races where the both of us can get to so we can double the amount of Enfields that are racing  ;D

I have a buddy who is going back out to Bonnieville and was asking/telling me that I have to go. I doubt that will happen, but the Maxton mile is now relocated to Southern Ohio, so I may have to go down and give that a run this summer.

Glad to hear you went with the Newby clutch, its a big ($) investment, but worth every penny when you are using it.

2001 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Race Bike:
2008 Ahrma Classic 60's #1 Plate
2009 AMA Vintage 50's #1 Plate
2010 AMA Vintage 50's #1 Plate
http://www.bgmotorcycle.com