Author Topic: RE detachable leather saddlebags  (Read 3554 times)

jest2dogs

• Grease Monkey
on: April 09, 2008, 08:02:31 am
When I purchased my Classic two years ago I set aside $$'s for catalog drooling and bought the detachable leather saddlebags.

Well, yes, they are detachable but in a primordial, theft deterrent, sort of way. I find the leather attachment straps frustrating to get at to attach to, or remove from, the bike. As a theft deterrent I don't think anyone would want to steal them anyway, once they saw how they attached. More likely they would go for the contents...

Has anyone who has these bags, devised a simpler, neater method of attachment to the rear fender frame of a Classic?

[old attachment deleted by admin]
"Ennie" 2006 RE Bullet Classic 500 (currently undergoing a facelift)
Commuter Scooter Commuted to "Otherside"
"Geezer" 2007 Moto Guzzi Breva 750 died and reborn as yet, un-named, 2005 Moto Guzzi Breva 750,
and...the newest stablemate, also un-named, my crazy Russian 2015 Ural cT.

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I loved this bike!!
Reply #1 on: April 09, 2008, 12:36:45 pm
  I just use a throw over bag and put it across the luggage carrier.  When I pack up for a trip I mount it on the fender, under the carrier so I have more room for stuff.  Don't care too much for the look from the rear as the bags toe-in because they are resting on the rear mudguard carrier.  They sure are handy though.

Has anyone who has these bags, devised a simpler, neater method of attachment to the rear fender frame of a Classic?

[old attachment deleted by admin]
2009 Triumph Bonneville T100
2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5 (RIP)
2001 Kawasaki W650 (going, going...gone)
http://www.romeoriders.com

zmanski

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: April 09, 2008, 11:03:11 pm
You are correct, mounting and removing the bags is frustrating.  Whoever designed this system was either totally incompetent or was possessed of a morbid sense of humor.

But there is a better way if you have a solo seat.  Try this.  Remove the three straps from the back of each bag.  Clinch two straps together using the buckles so that you have one long strap.  Do this with two more straps so that you end up with two long straps.  Run one double strap through the top (and only the top) riveted bag loop, over the top of the rear fender (but under the fender frame) through the top loop of the bag on the other side and back over the fender.  Buckle.  Repeat with second strap.  Now you have the leather straps holding the bags on top of the fender rather than to the frame.  This gives the whole thing a very neat appearance.  For added strength and stability I attach the unused riveted bag loops to the frame with nylon locking tie straps.  They are behind the bags so no one sees them anyway.  I also velcroed fleece from an old jacket under the leather straps so they do not rub against the paint on the fender. 

This not only looks nicer but makes removal and installation one heck of a lot easier. 
2006 Bullet Iron
2001 1200 Sportster

jest2dogs

• Grease Monkey
Reply #3 on: April 10, 2008, 03:00:40 am
Zmanski,

Kinda like saddling a horse. I like the idea and will give it a try. At first I was wondering about wearing on the paint but the padding solution seems workable. Thanks.

-Jesse, wanting to "saddle-up" and get outa drudge. 
"Ennie" 2006 RE Bullet Classic 500 (currently undergoing a facelift)
Commuter Scooter Commuted to "Otherside"
"Geezer" 2007 Moto Guzzi Breva 750 died and reborn as yet, un-named, 2005 Moto Guzzi Breva 750,
and...the newest stablemate, also un-named, my crazy Russian 2015 Ural cT.