Author Topic: Primary Case Venting  (Read 3273 times)

Moto Fugazzi

• Scooter
  • 01/01/2012
on: December 20, 2011, 01:52:36 pm
When I changed my primary fluid last of my 2003 Bullet, I noticed the PO had gasket sealant on the bottom of the case cover. This was obviously done due to the large ding on the cover, which wouldn't let the cover seal properly. After filing and smoothing the ding and using Hylomar sealant (apparently not enough), I still have significant leaking, which means that I'll replace the primary cover and gasket.

Anyway, since I'm replacing the cover, is there any need to vent the primary case? I would put a small vent in the cover instead of the case.
Would there be any benefits to doing this?
Waiting on a sign from God. Or a nod from Hell.

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I loved this bike!!
Reply #1 on: December 20, 2011, 01:55:35 pm
Mine had a vent hole in the filler plug.
2009 Triumph Bonneville T100
2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5 (RIP)
2001 Kawasaki W650 (going, going...gone)
http://www.romeoriders.com

greekxj

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: December 20, 2011, 02:45:12 pm
Ya my 07 has a vented filler plug also.

mustangdave

• Grease Monkey
  • ACES UP
Reply #3 on: December 20, 2011, 02:57:32 pm
same here...vent in the filler plug on my 05
I rode Japanese bikes as a kid...then I grew up and got some British Thunder

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #4 on: December 20, 2011, 05:45:26 pm
I don't really think it is necessary to vent it, but it doesn't hurt anything.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: December 20, 2011, 10:23:29 pm
The primary case is stand alone and shouldn't require venting. It's not like the unit construction Triumph and BSAs that vented the crankcase into the primary, then vented the primary case. They weren't true UCEs as all the components, gearbox, engine and primary cases, still had separate oil chambers, as opposed to the new stuff that shares the lube all around.
However, as Ace sez, it can't hurt.
Bare
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 10:26:56 pm by barenekd »
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2003 ES 500... 38,416 miles, I'm done
Reply #6 on: December 21, 2011, 01:16:12 am
why??
    you're already changing the cover with the ding that is leaking....
   if it ain't broke, don't fix it - Mike
'My dear you are ugly,
 but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly'
 - Winston Churchill

Moto Fugazzi

• Scooter
  • 01/01/2012
Reply #7 on: December 21, 2011, 06:32:35 am
why??
    you're already changing the cover with the ding that is leaking....
   if it ain't broke, don't fix it - Mike
Well, it only takes all of 5 minutes to drill and tap it for a vent. If this helps the bike from leaking in the future, then it's worth it.
As I see it now, I thought I had the ding removed and sealed properly, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Never had Hylomar fail on me until this point.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 06:37:44 am by Moto Fugazzi »

Moto Fugazzi

• Scooter
  • 01/01/2012
Reply #8 on: December 21, 2011, 06:44:12 am
Mine had a vent hole in the filler plug.
Does anybody have a pic of this,or know where to get one? My filler plug is just a slotted bolt on the side of the case. I also have leakage from the filler bolt, the oil level bolt as well as the bottom of the primary case. I've varied the oil level from the bare minimum to about .75 quarts. Using 20wt oil, but will probably change to ATF-F when I change the cover and gaskets.

greekxj

• Grease Monkey
Reply #9 on: December 21, 2011, 02:56:46 pm
Does anybody have a pic of this,or know where to get one? My filler plug is just a slotted bolt on the side of the case. I also have leakage from the filler bolt, the oil level bolt as well as the bottom of the primary case. I've varied the oil level from the bare minimum to about .75 quarts. Using 20wt oil, but will probably change to ATF-F when I change the cover and gaskets.

I dont have a pic but it is basically a hex headed bolt(the hex head sticks out from the cover, not flush) and it has a little hole on one of the hex sides to vent. The hex is an 18mm or 19mm in size. Not sure if that plug will thread in to where yours is. CMW can get it for you but you gotta find out if the threads are the same etc. Im sure someone here will know.

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Reply #10 on: December 21, 2011, 06:51:36 pm
Wow what is the preoccupation for having this vent. Mine has no vent and have not had one problem. I think I would not worry about the vent. These bikes have done just fine without one for 50+ yrs. I have seen pictures of a line from the catch can hooked up to a stub on the primary. I would presume this is some kind of EPA or import regulation and I'm not even sure they ever did this to the Bullets sold in the US.
2003 Classic 500 5 spd
2009 HD FLHT Police 103 6 spd
1992 Kawasaki ZG 1200 Voyager XII

Spitting Bull

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: December 21, 2011, 08:51:48 pm
I would have bet money on my 350 not having any vent hole but I've just checked and there's a tiny hole through the centre of the inspection plug.  This came as a surprise!  I'm not sure that venting is necessary, though, as there's only 420 ml of oil splashing about in there and I don't see how it can build up any noticeable pressure. Mine is the 18 mm hegagon inspection plug, by the way.  I believe there are slotted ones, too, though I've never seen one.

Tom
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 10:18:07 pm by Spitting Bull »
One cylinder is enough for anyone.

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #12 on: December 21, 2011, 09:45:34 pm
My 95 has a slotted on and I think the 99 junker I had did also.  No vent on those.   

Honestly I think the seal on the countershaft is loose enough that any excess preasure would be released around that.  Neither of  my primary cases leak at all and they both have the factory gasket.   I would check for machining marks that can be smoothed out and check the inner primary case with a straight edge to see if its warped. 

Being an 03 is it Kick only with no tumor?  My 07 leaked from the back of the turmor and it was part of the reason I converted it to KS only.
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #13 on: December 22, 2011, 02:17:34 pm
The vent is necessary. If you have a closed vessel with oil in it, and the temp rises, it will pressurize, causing leaks. Which is why my 05 has a pinhole in its inspection plug. It's that simple. An extra benefit of that hole is it makes the bike that much lighter. ;)
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

Chasfield

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: December 22, 2011, 03:01:42 pm
Though air turbulence around the pin hole will increase aerodynamic drag - which negates the weight saving.

;D
2001 500 Bullet Deluxe