Author Topic: Royal Enfield C5 Chrome Models? Opinions Please.  (Read 6953 times)

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
on: December 19, 2011, 12:11:02 pm
Hi
I'm from Australia and new to the forum. Here's my first post. Seriously thinking about a new Royal Enfield C5 in Chrome/ Black in the next two or so weeks. Just wonder if it's the right choice as far as chrome models go.
A friend mentioned to me today do I know if the RE chrome parts are good in quality or do they lose their shine and rust away.
Any help would be greatly appreciated as I'm about to lay down a deposit in the next couple of days.
If I don't go the chrome i was thinking the military model but either way .....I want one!!
Looking forward to be a member of this very informative forum and hope to report my views on ownership at a later date
Regards and all the best Graham

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Reply #1 on: December 19, 2011, 12:47:30 pm
Welcome Graham. I have the chrome & black G5, which I bought in March 2010. The bike lives in a damp climate - south west UK. The chrome on the tank & mudguards/fenders is good. It's less good on the wheels, and absolute shite on the mirrors/mirror stems. That said, the tank & fenders do get waxed occasionally, the wheels don't.
When I noticed the way the wheels were pitting last winter, I smeared them with ACF 50, which I did again after cleaning in spring, and they still look good. The mirrors had to be ditched. I ought to say that if you wanted to create the ideal environment for dissolving a motorbike as fast as possible, you'd come up with something like my garage!  I now pack the bike away in a big plastic bag with dessicant for the winter - it works brilliantly and the bike comes out in spring as dry & shiny as it went in in November.
If you live in a dry part of Oz you're laughing. If in one of the humid parts, then just take a few precautions and the chrome ought to be fine. Mostly, get on it and ride it, you'll very soon be hopelessly addicted and wearing the same stupid grin as the rest of us..... ;)

Incidentally - the chrome bike is the best looking of the bunch, and of course goes faster. Others here will tell you different - they're deluded, but they wont be told.... ;)
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 12:49:50 pm by WillW »
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

Desi Bike

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: December 19, 2011, 02:11:26 pm
I have a chrome and maroon c5 and live in southern Ontario. Driven inthe rain, sun and snow. No problems with the chrome. There is one spot on the black frame that has a small spot of rust but it is just the size of a pin hole at a weld. I'll Touch it up some day. 10,0000 km, occasionally in a garage, but mostly out side storage.
The air slips over the chrome, with less wind resistance than the other bikes so chome bikes go faster... HAhah. 

Drop the cash and  buy one, you are welcome into our community with open arms no matter wwhether you have a bike or not, painted or chrome... Cheers

Craig.
میں نہیں چاہتا کہ ایک اچار
میں صرف اپنی موٹر سائیکل پر سوار کرنا چاہتے ہیں

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: December 19, 2011, 04:42:19 pm
Basically, just put some anticorrosion protection (ACF50) or wax on the whole thing, particularly the wheels, and follow the previous advise, and all will be well.
This bike will give you more smiles per mile, and gas mileage, too, than you can imagine.
They are great!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Lwt Big Cheese

• Grand Gearhead
  • Getting there, slowly...
Reply #4 on: December 19, 2011, 06:29:56 pm
Most Enfield are polished so much I'm surprised they can corrode at all.

Except mine  ::)
No warranty implied or given.
Packed in a protective atmosphere.
May contain nuts.

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: December 19, 2011, 10:23:57 pm
+1 on the ACF50

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #6 on: December 19, 2011, 10:36:34 pm
Graham:  Welcome to the group!

No chrome problem here in the Arizona desert but I suppose that is to be expected in a place that gets 5 inches of rain per year.

I do wax my painted and chromed surfaces on my G5 with a top auto wax about every other week because the sun is pretty hard on paint.

I think you deserve a Chrome & Black motorcycle.  They are the fastest of the stable and receive hundreds of favorable comments from all who see them.  ;D

Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #7 on: December 20, 2011, 12:29:23 am
My dealer dsiplays the deluxe chrome models outdoors most days here in rainy Portland, OR.  They get some spray polish now and then but I think that's it.  I don't see any obvious rust on them.

Scott

SimonT

• Bulleteer
Reply #8 on: December 20, 2011, 12:37:06 am
Hey Graham,

where abouts in Aus are you?

I would have really considered the chrome versions if they were available when i got my C5... They look pretty hot.

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: December 20, 2011, 05:53:31 am
Hi again.
Thanks to all who took the time to reply to the above thread. Great bit of info on opinions of the chrome models. It appears that I have nothing to worry about so I have contacted the N.S.W. Dist in Sydney Australia to place a deposit on a C5.
Apparently there are two colours available -Burgandy /Chrome and Black/Chrome. Burgandy has been sold out till the next delivery from India. So it looks like it's the Black/Chrome for me.
Price down-under is  - ride away no more to pay $9500 plus a free crash hat.
It's about a 3.5 hours drive from Orange N.S.W. to the Sydney dealership so with photos I've seen on the web - looks fine to me.
Busy with work till Christmas and unfortunately the dealer is then off on holidays till the 15th Jan ............. so i guess i will wait it out and keep reading the threads.
All the best Graham

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: December 20, 2011, 06:02:01 am
It appears that I have nothing to worry about so I have contacted the N.S.W. Dist in Sydney Australia to place a deposit on a C5.

Would that be John at Motociclo in St Peters? John really knows his Enfields and Guzzies and is an all round great guy.

Generally the first service is free with John so if you can stay a few days and run up the first 500km (not hard around Sydney some great rides) and get the first service done before heading home its a bonus.

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #11 on: December 20, 2011, 07:22:35 am
Welcome aboard wildbill

Incidentally - the chrome bike is the best looking of the bunch, and of course goes faster. Others here will tell you different - they're deluded, but they wont be told.... ;)

Chrome is fast for certain but not the fastest, that would be military green.
Stealth and all that you know.  ;)
No matter where you go, there, you are.

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: December 20, 2011, 10:45:54 am
That's the place and I've been talking to Nicole about the purchase. Thought about the green version but none in stock and delivery is some-time in March

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: December 20, 2011, 08:37:25 pm
With a 3.5 hour jaunt to get to the dealer, plan on a all day trip if you plan on riding your new RE home.

For the first 500 km they recommend that the top speed needs to be limited to 60 Kmph.  Then, an oil and oil filter change.

The top speed can then be increased to 90 Kmph until you reach 1,000 km.
After 1,000 km there is no top speed listed but they do caution that during the break in one should stop every 30 minutes to let the engine cool down.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: December 21, 2011, 01:07:11 am
In that case - I might buy some spare oil and filters and do an oil change at 200klm. what about from 0 to 500klm -still a 30 min break
thanks

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: December 22, 2011, 12:48:18 am
When I was breaking in my G5 I didn't wait for the full 300 miles for the first oil and filter change.

There are two drains on the bottom of the sump.  One is a magnetic drain plug.  The other retains a screen to filter out the big pieces before they can get into the pump.  This screen retainer also has a magnetic plug in it and between the two magnets I got quite a lot of very fine steel particles.

Anyway, when I removed the screen it was almost completely covered with some sort of paper/cloth stuff which I removed.
I was so concerned about this that I called my dealer.  He said that was pretty common.  I asked if it might have starved the oil pump and he said that if it did I would have heard one hell of a lot of clattering because the hydraulic lifters would not pump up.
I said I hadn't heard anything like that and he said, "Then your OK.".

The other oil changes I've done were always before the distance mentioned by the Owners Manual and no rag/paper issues came up.
Some metal particles were on the magnets each time but they are getting fewer with each successive change.

Based on all of this I think a 200-300 km oil change is a good idea.

As for the distance covered vs time for a cool down I think you can play it by ear, so to speak.
When I broke in my bike the temperature was in the 105-112 degree F (41-45 *C) range outside so I did short rides.
I suspect that the book was written with a worst case condition in mind so with the cooler air temperatures it might not be such a big issue.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: December 22, 2011, 11:32:00 am
Arizoni

Hi
Thanks for the info. Down under they do the 500klm full service head tightening etc/oil change  and then it's back on the bike till 1500klm for the next oil change.

P. Schraub

• Bulleteer
Reply #17 on: December 22, 2011, 02:16:49 pm
Hello Wildbill,
       When I was breaking my G5 Deluxe in, the dealer changed oil and filter at 300 miles. Then I changed it again at 500 miles. Break-in is done using regular motor oil, not synthetic. At 1,000 miles, my dealer said to switch to SYNTHETIC oil, which I did. I now have over 2,000 miles on it, and it is running beautifully. The more miles you put on these bikes, the better they run ! Merry Christmas !

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: December 22, 2011, 05:37:16 pm
I changed mine at 225, then 1100, then 3000 where I switched to Synthetic, I'm getting ready to change it again at 5500 as the timing cover is seeping, so I need to pull it as soon as I get a gasket. There have been no issues that are oil related, other than a clattery decompression arm, but I think that was mostly cold weather. I am messing around with Marvel Mystery Oil just to see if it can help the clattering. So far it's rather inclusive, but the weather has been a bit warmer, but the clattering has also subsided.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #19 on: December 22, 2011, 05:48:19 pm
Bare, do you think some 15w50, or even 10w50 if you can find it, would help?  If you can't find it in moto, diesel oil has lots of the same additives.  If you are riding in cold weather regularly then you should try to find an oil that meets the winter spec.

Alternatively, just put a light bulb under the engine to keep the oil a bit warmer for start up.

Scott

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: December 22, 2011, 06:54:28 pm
That was about as cold as it ever gets around here, mid 30s. So it's not like it's going to be an ongoing thing, but, yeah, some 15-50 wouldn't hurt. Basically, I'm not too worried about it, after it gets started and warms up for a couple of minutes, it's fine. Nd I really don't mind throwing in a few ounces of MMO now and then anyway.
Even when it's that cold in the morning, by noon it's usually 60 degrees or so. If it stays colder than that, I'm not going far on the bike anyway. Even so,fi the engien has been warmed up, subsequent starts are easy.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #21 on: December 22, 2011, 07:15:45 pm
I'm just jealous ;)  It's 30s here at night but only 45 or so in the day.  Between the holiday rush and the low fog freezing right to the road I haven't had a chance to ride in over a week.  Looking forward to New Year when I can get off the crazy train of family vists, etc., and maybe get a ride in.

Scott

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: December 23, 2011, 02:29:55 am
P. Schraub

Thanks for the info. Well I've now bitten the bullet -So to speak and placed a healthy deposit on the C5 Classic in Black Chrome.Pick it up in Jan 15th to 18th.
Although I have not seen either the Black/Chrome or the Maroon/Chrome-it was either the Black/Chrome in stock or wait it out till March or the next order.
Only viewed a photo of the Black/Chrome on the internet. Some shots look good and some pretty average. On the other hand -all shot of the Maroon version looked fine.
Guess I'm in for a surprise come mid January. After all I suppose you ride the bike -not the colour ;)
Although the first oil change interval listed her is 500klm or 300 miles. I think that I'd like to do one at 100 miles and another at 200 miles. Don't know if the dealer will be happy if i say so or not! :-\
Anyway I can't see how it would hurt any. All i gotta find is now how to do that oil change properly as I read somewhere that there's some packing inside the motor
Regards Graham

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #23 on: December 23, 2011, 02:32:11 am
Both chrome C5s look much better in the flesh.

Scott

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: December 23, 2011, 03:41:29 am
Be sure to buy some oil filters from your dealer.
They are special and are not available from local stores.

Follow this link and go to the top of it.
The methods used for the G5 and the C5 are basically the same.

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,10782.msg127116.html#msg127116
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: December 25, 2011, 03:13:45 am
Arizoni

Thanks for the oil change link and tip. Will grab a couple of filters/oil on pick-up. Good weather down under with daily temps in the 20 to 26 degree celius range. Probably good riding weather and keen to pick-up the bike.
Bit of a long wait now to the 15th Jan

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #26 on: December 25, 2011, 04:50:45 am
Remember, the things that come quickly and easily are quickly and easily taken for granted and forgotten.

The things that take longer are more appreciated and enjoyed longer. :)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe

wokka

• Bulleteer
Reply #27 on: December 25, 2011, 10:32:02 pm
Chrome wont get ya home.....

not a fan of the chrome models myself

but then opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one, and they all stink

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #28 on: December 25, 2011, 11:16:28 pm
chrome won't get ya home  haaaaaa...that a good one.....i have the british green but i like all the colors and styles.... :o
Oh Magoo you done it again

Gregorin

• Scooter
  • My Baby.
Reply #29 on: January 02, 2012, 06:46:36 am
Not during the war can be a bit bright and shiny, be it red deluxe. A lot of chrome and high gloss black color of old bricks. ;D

bman734

• Grease Monkey
  • If it smells nasty, don't eat it
Reply #30 on: January 02, 2012, 08:47:40 pm
The military model is well known to be the fastest of all the models. This has been proven in various wind tunnel tests. Of course, mine is sitting in my garage here in Cleveland as the lake effect snow keeps accumulating outside my house so my military will only go 0 mph right now. I'll prove that i'm right come spring! ;)
Royal Enfield C5 Military
Suzuki SP370
Honda CX650
Yamaha XS650

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #31 on: January 02, 2012, 10:09:29 pm
Of course, mine is sitting in my garage here in Cleveland as the lake effect snow keeps accumulating outside my house so my military will only go 0 mph right now. I'll prove that i'm right come spring! ;)

Just fit this simple mod pioneered by Husqvarna ....