Author Topic: Yard sale on bikes  (Read 10516 times)

hutch

• Grease Monkey
  • Til death do us part
on: April 04, 2008, 12:36:30 am
Well I realy did it now. I bought another Kawasaki W650. A lot of bikes have to go. I think I bummed out some people on the Savage page when I told them the Savage was going. The Savage may be faster than the Bullet Classic, but it aint got half the class. The Bullet just putts along at 60mph with no effort, and that is fine with me. I will be keeping my 67 RE Interceptor and 05 Bullet, and my 2 W650's, that look like the old 60's Triumphs. Everything else is history.  Hutch
You learn from your mistakes, and I have LEARNED a lot.

LJRead

Reply #1 on: April 04, 2008, 12:49:44 am
Seems like you'll have a nice group to me, just R Es  and the very fine W650s.  Let's hear your justification for buying the second W650.  Since I now have two R Es I may be able to use a good excuse if your have one.  Mine seems to be that I got a good deal on the latest, but I'm not sure that holds water what with all the shipping a duty costs. The other excuse was having a second bike available when one goes down, but maybe you can't use that one - I can!  Or maybe you just don't feel a need for an excuse - good on you!

Good luck to you Hutch.  Some, like you, are deserving!

Larry

deejay

Reply #2 on: April 04, 2008, 01:14:42 am
Well I realy did it now. I bought another Kawasaki W650. A lot of bikes have to go. I think I bummed out some people on the Savage page when I told them the Savage was going. The Savage may be faster than the Bullet Classic, but it aint got half the class. The Bullet just putts along at 60mph with no effort, and that is fine with me. I will be keeping my 67 RE Interceptor and 05 Bullet, and my 2 W650's, that look like the old 60's Triumphs. Everything else is history.  Hutch

Another one! Lets get some pics! I've been wanting a W for a long time. How are you finding these? I've only seen one for sale in my state about a year ago. I always wished I got a W instead of my new bonneville, but then again, if I didn't hate the bonneville I wouldn't have ended up with the bullet. If I ever buy a "highway" bike, it will be a W.

LotusSevenMan

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...._[:]@==<
Reply #3 on: April 04, 2008, 01:29:36 am
A friend in the UK has this one!

And

Nice bike!!!
If it ain't broke-------------------------- fix it 'till it is!

Royal Enfield Miltary 500cc  (2003)
Honda VTR FireStorm (SuperHawk) 996cc 'V' twin
Kawasaki KR1 250cc twin 'stroker
Ducati 916 'L' twin

deejay

Reply #4 on: April 04, 2008, 01:41:54 am
I've never seen one up close, what the hell is that coming out of the head on the right side of the bike?

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #5 on: April 04, 2008, 01:51:46 am
Cam drive..
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

abe

Reply #6 on: April 04, 2008, 04:02:31 am
That is so sweet.  I have room for one more.
abe

cowboysculptor

• Bulleteer
Reply #7 on: April 04, 2008, 05:11:58 am
I was wondering what came out of the left side of the head, but it's the other exhaust!  ;)

I seriously looked at the W650, but they're hard to come by, and it seems like they go for a lot.  The Thruxton is also mighty fine.  For now I'm a one bike guy, I gotta be faithful to my girl.

By the way, are the seats on the W as ugly as they look in photos?
« Last Edit: April 04, 2008, 05:14:19 am by cowboysculptor »
2007 Royal Enfield Bullet Deluxe
1978 cb750f

hutch

• Grease Monkey
  • Til death do us part
Reply #8 on: April 04, 2008, 04:45:34 pm
I hope I don't forget anyone. Excuses for 2 W650's? I wanted one back in 2000 but bought  something else. I found one last fall at a dealer in WI. It had been backed into at the dealership, and tipped over. They replaced all the parts except the banged up exhaust, and painted it solid blue in heavy metalflake. It cost me $3000 and I drove 9 hours, one way to get it.Only had 5500 miles and just seviced. I love the 50HP. You can kickstart it, setting on the seat, Usually one kick after 5 days of setting. It was compared in a cyle test with the 800 Bonneville and was just a fast at a 1/4 mile in 14 seconds at 97mph. It handles great, and only weighs 420lbs dry. It would look good chopped/bobbed, and that is what I wanted to do to it, but it handles the freeway traffic at 75-80mph with 3500rpm left. I put bags, tank rack and windshield on it for highway use. I found another one at another dealer in WI a couple of weeks ago. 5200 miles, just serviced, all original and MINT. $4000. Now I can put all my highway gear on the new one, and chop the bike that was backed into. I will have a ton of spare parts after chopping/bobbing. Plus both bikes will need the same oil and plugs. The seat looks like the old 60's Triumph it was made to resemble, and is very comfortable. The reason they are hard to find is that they were only import to the US from 1999-2001. They still make them everyday, but don't sell them here anymore. Parts from the dealer are no problem. I like the cam drive on the side of the motor. It reminds me of the old Ducati 250-450cc scramblers. I can't get my new bike until May. I am not driving there this time, to much money and road time. I will take the ferry across Lake Michigan to get it. The dealer will meet me, and the trip will only cost $200 both ways. I only have to drive 130 miles to the ferry. 4 hours total driving time, both ways, beats 9 hours one way. My birthday is May 7, and I haven't went across the lake on a ferry since I was 12. Sounds like a good birthday present to myself. Here a picture of the first "W". My new one looks just like the one posted by LotusSevenMan, without the rear grab bar. I get 70mpg with my first W at a steady 70mph. The W handles great, isn't overly heavy, rides smooth, has plenty of power when you need it, and it always gets people asking how hard it was to restore a old Triumph. It just fits my riding style and look,whether stock or bobbed. I love it. I will keep the Bullet Classic for great country, riding and my 1967 RE Interceptor for my weekend nostalgia rides. The Interceptor and the Bullet Classic even take the same oil filter. Remember how I said I like simple. I will have only to dealers to work with, and both are about 12 miles from my house. Win Win situation.   Hutch  Notice how the bike is sitting on my carpet, with no rags or drain pans. I will finally own 4 bikes that don't leak oil. Two W650's and 2 RE's . Now all I have to do is sell the other 4 bikes.        Hutch

« Last Edit: April 04, 2008, 04:55:07 pm by hutch »

Bankerdanny

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: April 04, 2008, 04:54:50 pm
Now there's a fantastic living room accessory ;D
Endeavor To Persevere

Current: '75 Honda CB550F, '76 Honda CB750F. Previous:  2007 Yamaha Vino 125, '75 Harley FXE Superglide, '77 GL1000 Goldwing, '77 Honda CB550K, '02 Royal Enfield Bullet 500ES, '68 Suzuki K11, '68 Yamaha YR2, '69 BMW R69S, '71 Honda SL175

hutch

• Grease Monkey
  • Til death do us part
Reply #10 on: April 04, 2008, 05:07:12 pm
Now there's a fantastic living room accessory ;D
LOL, I have 3 bikes in the house now. One in the living room, the W in the den(pictured above) and one in my dining room. The 4 I am selling are in the garage. Now I have to get 4 bikes in the house next winter. Oh well, it will work out somehow. I could slide the dining room table against the wall, under the big knick knack shelf. That sounds like a plan.   Hutch

deejay

Reply #11 on: April 04, 2008, 05:50:39 pm
lol, the bike is on the carpet.

hutch

• Grease Monkey
  • Til death do us part
Reply #12 on: April 04, 2008, 08:37:48 pm
lol, the bike is on the carpet.
Oh yes, My favorite bikes have always set in the house, for about 33 years. I do have a place in the living room where I ride the bike up the big deck ramp on to the deck, open the door and ride it in to set on the congoleum part of the living room for working on bikes in the winter. The rest of the living room and house is carpeted. I traded a motorcycle for a house full of textured carpeting, with the super thick foam backing, about 10 years ago. I was acually born in this house almost 57 years ago.It is a big farm house, that I have slowly remodeled over the years. I had a salesman stop once, after seeing my "invalid" ramp, and try to sell me a wheel chair. He freaked when I showed him all the bikes in the house, and told him, that was what the ramp was for. I did ask for one of his cards, in case I fell off one of the bikes and needed a wheel chair. He just gave me a card and left with this bewildered look on his face. My wife was still alive at the time and said "Have a nice day", while she held back the laughter. The 2 RE's and the W650 don't leak oil, so I can park them on the carpet with no problem.  Hopefully the new W650 won't leak either.     Hutch
« Last Edit: April 04, 2008, 08:52:33 pm by hutch »

Bankerdanny

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: April 04, 2008, 09:05:34 pm
I would think about keeping mine in the living room but I think that my condo board would complain about the tight fit getting it in the elevator. 8)
Endeavor To Persevere

Current: '75 Honda CB550F, '76 Honda CB750F. Previous:  2007 Yamaha Vino 125, '75 Harley FXE Superglide, '77 GL1000 Goldwing, '77 Honda CB550K, '02 Royal Enfield Bullet 500ES, '68 Suzuki K11, '68 Yamaha YR2, '69 BMW R69S, '71 Honda SL175

hutch

• Grease Monkey
  • Til death do us part
Reply #14 on: April 04, 2008, 09:19:48 pm
I would think about keeping mine in the living room but I think that my condo board would complain about the tight fit getting it in the elevator. 8)
LOL, I know what you mean. I wonder how much it would cost to put an elevator in my house. I got 2 HUGE bedrooms upstairs.One is 22x15, and one 15x15. That would solve my winter storage problem.  GOING UP??? Hutch

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I loved this bike!!
Reply #15 on: April 04, 2008, 09:21:46 pm
2009 Triumph Bonneville T100
2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5 (RIP)
2001 Kawasaki W650 (going, going...gone)
http://www.romeoriders.com

deejay

Reply #16 on: April 04, 2008, 09:39:33 pm

LotusSevenMan

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...._[:]@==<
Reply #17 on: April 04, 2008, 11:14:34 pm
That's just being greedy!  ;D
If it ain't broke-------------------------- fix it 'till it is!

Royal Enfield Miltary 500cc  (2003)
Honda VTR FireStorm (SuperHawk) 996cc 'V' twin
Kawasaki KR1 250cc twin 'stroker
Ducati 916 'L' twin

hutch

• Grease Monkey
  • Til death do us part
Reply #18 on: April 05, 2008, 02:22:10 am
That's just being greedy!  ;D
LotusSevenMan, yea you are right, but it sure is fun.
Leonard, yours is a 2001.......Correct??? The paint and pleated seat give it away. What are your thoughts on the W. I don't want to give the only story. I seem to get better mileage than most riders. I don't baby it at all, so i was wondering. Mine still has the plugs over the carb screws.  It is just like the way it rolled off the assembly line, but for the new paint.  Hutch
« Last Edit: April 05, 2008, 02:24:27 am by hutch »

hutch

• Grease Monkey
  • Til death do us part
Reply #19 on: April 05, 2008, 03:16:59 am

Another one! Lets get some pics! I've been wanting a W for a long time. How are you finding these?
Deejay, sorry, I just realized I missed your question. I found both of my W650's on Cycle Trader.com   I haven't even looked to see if mine is listed as sold yet. The dealer wanted $4500, but came down. I found both bikes about 6 months apart. The RE 500 is a great bike for the, laid back enjoy the ride, type of country cruising, and the W650 is great for the highway when you want to get some where faster, but look like you are riding another English Classic. They make a great pair......don't they Leonard?? Hutch
« Last Edit: April 05, 2008, 03:20:29 am by hutch »

geoffbaker

Reply #20 on: April 05, 2008, 03:36:14 am
Hutch, you have an RE that doesn't leak oil?

I didn't know they made one in that variety.

hutch

• Grease Monkey
  • Til death do us part
Reply #21 on: April 05, 2008, 03:48:21 am

Dang, maybe my luck is better than I thought. My 67 Interceptor has all the original gaskets, and my Bullet has no oil leaks either. Both are oil tight and sitting on the carpet, until it gets to 60 degrees tomorrow. Road trip coming up for sure. I have to keep those batteries charged up in 7 bikes. Sunday the Suzuki Savage hits the front yard FOR SALE.    Hutch

deejay

Reply #22 on: April 05, 2008, 01:53:04 pm

Dang, maybe my luck is better than I thought. My 67 Interceptor has all the original gaskets, and my Bullet has no oil leaks either. Both are oil tight and sitting on the carpet, until it gets to 60 degrees tomorrow. Road trip coming up for sure. I have to keep those batteries charged up in 7 bikes. Sunday the Suzuki Savage hits the front yard FOR SALE.    Hutch

you're lucky, mine marks its territory from the primary every once in a while. oh and the head leaks too, plan to fix asap.

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I loved this bike!!
Reply #23 on: April 05, 2008, 02:32:12 pm
They make a great pair......don't they Leonard?? Hutch

Hutch,
  I can't dispute anything you've said about the Dubya, they are great bikes and almost the attention grabbers of the RE.  My '01 had 1735 miles on it when I bought it '06 and now has over 12K.  I try to take turns when I ride, just depends.......I don't have any trouble keeping up with my riding buddies on the RE, we are a pretty slow bunch and stick to the back roads.
  There is a W650 group on Yahoo Groups if anyone wants more info.
Leonard
2009 Triumph Bonneville T100
2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5 (RIP)
2001 Kawasaki W650 (going, going...gone)
http://www.romeoriders.com

Bankerdanny

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: April 05, 2008, 03:13:01 pm
I get some weeping around the head, but otherwise I am oil tight.
Endeavor To Persevere

hutch

• Grease Monkey
  • Til death do us part
Reply #25 on: April 05, 2008, 05:11:46 pm
The only oil leak I had was on the top end. I thought it was the head gasket, until I traced it down to the rear oil feed line, The bolt was loose and had not sealed the brass washer behind it. I have had the primary off twice and just re used the  same "o" ring gasket. I also had the rear rocker box off and re used the same gasket. Same goes for the filter gaskets. I bought the 10,000 mile sevice kit and all I have used is the filters for the Bullet and the Interceptor. I guess that is why I love my Bullet Classic ironhead so much.      Hutch

lovellsky

• Scooter
Reply #26 on: August 14, 2008, 05:04:53 am
Hutch, Do you still have any W650 parts, bags, luggage rack, stuff you want to sell?

hutch

• Grease Monkey
  • Til death do us part
Reply #27 on: August 14, 2008, 02:04:59 pm
Hutch, Do you still have any W650 parts, bags, luggage rack, stuff you want to sell?
It is funny how things change. I sold the Savage as I mentioned, But just couldn't bring myself to "desecrate" the first W650 by chopping it. That is a first for me. I sold it to a freind of mine on the Suzuki Savage page. He has been sending me payments for it. I gave my grandaughter her fathers minibike, and her mothers 230 Honda dirt bike that I took over payments on. My son and I rebuilt the 1972 Yamaha mini enduro he rode when he was a kid, and that will go to my grandaughter also. The 1969 Triumph chopper is for sale, And I am about to start to restore the 68 BSA 441 Shootingstar. When finished that will be sold. I decided to keep the 120 HP V-twin chopper I built in 2002. I would lose far to much money with it only having 4000 miles on it. The windshield, bags and rack are now on my newest W650. It runs just as good as my first one, and looks like new. I got the bags from Leatherlyke, the tank rack is out of the RE catalog, and the windshield is a Memphis Shades "Hellcat" from the J&P Cyles catalog. I will be keeping the 67 RE Interceptor, the RE Bullet, the 120 HP chopper, and the W-650. 4 bikes in the house again, unless I get the heat in the garage this year. I just got the ceiling in the garage, but still need interior walls and heat. At least I retired the "extension chord, and finaly got the electricity in. No more blown surge chords from trying to weld with a floor light on at the same time.   Hutch

lovellsky

• Scooter
Reply #28 on: August 21, 2008, 07:23:01 am
Would you like to sell the W650 luggage rack?

hutch

• Grease Monkey
  • Til death do us part
Reply #29 on: August 21, 2008, 02:18:40 pm
The luggage rack looks to good on the W-650. It is for the Royal Enfield Bullet and only cost about $60 from the RE catalog.   Hutch

lovellsky

• Scooter
Reply #30 on: August 21, 2008, 03:56:46 pm
You say a luggage rack for the Royal Enfield Bullet looks to good on a W-650, and It only cost about $60 from the RE catalog? Does it require modification to fit the W650?Can you give me details?

DaveG297

• Bulleteer
Reply #31 on: August 21, 2008, 10:55:25 pm
The Hill Climb was a bust almost this year , Hutch....lots of bikes for bike time though...........W650 Huh,,,,,,,,,,did you have to wipe the drool off of it.   Wonder how come I don't hear anybody talking about the GB500............dg

hutch

• Grease Monkey
  • Til death do us part
Reply #32 on: August 22, 2008, 01:40:25 pm
You say a luggage rack for the Royal Enfield Bullet looks to good on a W-650, and It only cost about $60 from the RE catalog? Does it require modification to fit the W650?Can you give me details?
No mods what so ever, just lick and stick. It mounts with the suction cup method, and is very secure.   Hutch

hutch

• Grease Monkey
  • Til death do us part
Reply #33 on: August 22, 2008, 01:48:24 pm
The Hill Climb was a bust almost this year , Hutch....lots of bikes for bike time though...........W650 Huh,,,,,,,,,,did you have to wipe the drool off of it.   Wonder how come I don't hear anybody talking about the GB500............dg
Dave, like an idiot, I missed the hill climbs. I was so busy getting power in my polebarn, and finishing up the ceiling and walls in the bike room part of the polebarn, that I forgot all about it. You know Dave, if I would ever get over the chopper thing, I would keep just the Bullet Classic, the Interceptor, and the W650. Since that won't ever happen, I guess I will always have 3-4 bikes.    Hutch