Author Topic: Front drum brake  (Read 13396 times)

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
on: July 25, 2007, 03:28:03 am
Is there any way of making the front drum brake any better - it is vaguely alarming having the bike take forever to stop.  How best does one adjust the thing to grab the drum harder..
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
''99 Classic Bullet. '05 Ural Tourist sidecar rig, converted to 2wd. '05 Harley Davidson Sportster.
Jefferson County, WA

Robb

• Scooter
Reply #1 on: July 25, 2007, 04:03:45 am
You REALLY don't want it to grab any harder.  Drums have a nasty habit of locking up under super aggressive breaking.  The best way is probably to adjust them until you feel comfortable hauling really hard on the binders, or going to a different shoe compound, but the selection is rather limited.  I know that's a bit vague. but seriously, you don't want them to lock up.  Also, try getting used to using both brakes to stop.  It's somewhat counter-intuitive, but learning to use them both significantly improves stopping.

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: July 25, 2007, 06:21:17 am
I have no problem using both brakes - I ride an ural most of the time, so both brakes is natural to me - Still have way too long a way to go, to get stopped.  I am thinking now of the Disk brake for sale by our hosts.  I may purchase the thing, just to feel happier stopping.
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
''99 Classic Bullet. '05 Ural Tourist sidecar rig, converted to 2wd. '05 Harley Davidson Sportster.
Jefferson County, WA

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I loved this bike!!
Reply #3 on: July 25, 2007, 01:58:06 pm
Is there any way of making the front drum brake any better - it is vaguely alarming having the bike take forever to stop.  How best does one adjust the thing to grab the drum harder..

Hitchcoks has a good front brake article under their "tech notes", and of course Snidal's manual tells you how also.  Once you get the brake adjusted properly it works pretty well.

Leonard
2009 Triumph Bonneville T100
2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5 (RIP)
2001 Kawasaki W650 (going, going...gone)
http://www.romeoriders.com

dewjantim

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4 on: July 25, 2007, 04:40:49 pm
Have a maching shop make you an "extended" brake actuation arm. Take your old arm off and ask the maching shop to make you one about 1 inch longer. Install the longer arm and you will have more powerful brakes due to increased leverage. Just remember at first not to squeeze to hard or they might lock up. This is an old racers trick. Dew.
If it hurts, you're not dead yet!!!!!

deejay

Reply #5 on: July 25, 2007, 06:01:31 pm

When my bike was brand new, the front brake was so strong it actually competed with the disk brake on my old 2005 Bonneville. My dealer says he adjusts all brakes this way before they leave his shop. Over the past few months they have become a bit weaker, so I will be adjusting them too. Remember these are twin leading shoes on the front, as far as drum brake technology, they are the best. Sounds to me like you need to adjust them.

cheers

DaveG297

• Bulleteer
Reply #6 on: July 26, 2007, 03:01:31 am
My front brake was all but useless until both shoes were adjusted to make contact the same time.  Since then they do alright but I'm not doing any stoppies.    I removed the front wheel and then the brake unit, which is fun to do if you don't have the proper size socket and an air wrench.   Once off, it was easy to see and feel the adjustment balance out between the two shoes.   Yes you do need good brakes and the front is most important even on a putt putt bike.          dg

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: July 26, 2007, 04:08:23 am
I will try the longer arm - and I have just got me a copy of Pete Snidal's manual, so adjusting them will now be more effective. I may still get me a disc brake for it though.
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
Jefferson County, WA

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: July 27, 2007, 01:29:06 am
I wimped out.. just ordered the Disc Brake, as consolation to not being able to have the electric start. :)
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
Jefferson County, WA

deejay

Reply #9 on: July 27, 2007, 01:49:38 am
I wimped out.. just ordered the Disc Brake, as consolation to not being able to have the electric start. :)

I wish mine DIDN"T have the E-start... trade primary cases?

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: July 27, 2007, 02:19:02 am
In a heart beat, if it would fit. I was told they don't interchange.  Why on earth would any one want the opportunity of stalling at a left hand turn, with traffic going nuts around you, and the bike saying "no way.. I want a rest" That is what the kick start is all about. I would happily kill for a button to press.
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
Jefferson County, WA

deejay

Reply #11 on: July 27, 2007, 02:56:03 am
In a heart beat, if it would fit. I was told they don't interchange.  Why on earth would any one want the opportunity of stalling at a left hand turn, with traffic going nuts around you, and the bike saying "no way.. I want a rest" That is what the kick start is all about. I would happily kill for a button to press.

I know someone over at the yahoo boards that successfully converted his E-start to a KS. He posted his instructions too. Not sure if you could convert the KS to the E though. Would be a good thing to look into. I'm serious about the trade, it would make a nice winter project for me.

deejay

Reply #12 on: July 27, 2007, 03:21:23 am
nevermind, i just realized i would need a 5-speed inner primary case.

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: July 27, 2007, 04:13:55 am
Shame.. I will just have to hope for one suddenly arriving from India, with my name on it..  Nothing wrong with hoping is there??
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
Jefferson County, WA

deejay

Reply #14 on: July 27, 2007, 02:05:54 pm

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: July 27, 2007, 09:17:19 pm
It already sold - I went after it, but it had gone.
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
Jefferson County, WA

deejay

Reply #16 on: July 27, 2007, 09:25:28 pm
It already sold - I went after it, but it had gone.

That really stinks.... but where there's one, there's more.

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: July 27, 2007, 09:29:30 pm
Not apparently - it was made as a one off, to test the market - cost too much to market successfully so only one existed - I left it too late.  I will now go away, and sulk miserably :(
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
Jefferson County, WA

dewjantim

• Grease Monkey
Reply #18 on: August 20, 2007, 08:50:52 pm
Well IndianaBulleteer, how did the disk brake setup work out......Dew.
If it hurts, you're not dead yet!!!!!

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: August 20, 2007, 08:53:30 pm
It has been raining none stop here for three days, I have not been able to do anything with it yet.  I don't have any inside working areas..
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
Jefferson County, WA