Author Topic: Engine clattering  (Read 19068 times)

Maturin

• Grand Gearhead
  • My Precious
Reply #30 on: December 18, 2011, 09:52:00 pm
The biggest problem of this damned clatter is that the mills don´t explode after they´ve clattered long enough. This would ease a diagnosis considerably.
Nothing seems to break. It´s just that it...clatters  :P
2010 G5
A Garage without a Bullet is a empty, barren hole.

When acellerating the tears of emotion must flow off horizontally to the ears.
Walter Röhrl

Maturin

• Grand Gearhead
  • My Precious
Reply #31 on: December 18, 2011, 10:02:35 pm
Singh, thanks or the picture. Unfortunately it´s not available in Europe. Regards
2010 G5
A Garage without a Bullet is a empty, barren hole.

When acellerating the tears of emotion must flow off horizontally to the ears.
Walter Röhrl

Lwt Big Cheese

• Grand Gearhead
  • Getting there, slowly...
Reply #32 on: December 18, 2011, 10:45:37 pm
We don't get MMO.

But we do get Slick and STP etc oh and Redex.

Now it seems to me people are either absolutely for or alternatively absolutely against these products. We have Marmite, a yeast based spread here. The ad campaign goes Marmite you either love it or hate it!

I remember being told that Redex was basically paraffin or kerosene as you guys call it. Or snake oil...

The way I look at all these things is like this, imagine the SAS or Green Beret's or SEAL Team 6 have a mission that has to be successful. Even if nobody returns from the mision. And they take vehicles. They must get there at any cost. Do they do a quick oil change and then bung it a magic potion so they can complete their mission even if the sump is shot out?

No do they buggery. They just use regular oils.

I'm not judging here. If it's the best thing since sliced bread, good. But I'm a cynical old fart. And this makes interesting reading:
http://www.skepdic.com/slick50.html
No warranty implied or given.
Packed in a protective atmosphere.
May contain nuts.

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #33 on: December 18, 2011, 11:05:22 pm
I get an occasional clatter similar to pinging on my B5 but I am using 95 octane so its not from pinging.  Probably valve train noise but its not overly annoying.

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ride carefully - You are invisible.
Reply #34 on: December 19, 2011, 01:04:59 am
Marvel Mystery Oil is $9 a quart or $6 for a pint here in Seattle.  It has been around for quite a while so there is probably benefit in using it. 
A Royal Enfield owner's cup is always half full.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #35 on: December 19, 2011, 01:56:43 am
I'm not a fan of additives for fuel or oil although I have used a fuel injector cleaner in the fuel tank on my BMW K75 when it started running poorly.

I am also not going to tell someone else not to use an additive although I may mention that some additives are nothing more than diesel fuel or kerosene in a fancy can.  If they want to use it, that's their business.

The way I figure it, if these things were all their cracked up to be the major oil companies would be fighting with one another for the exclusive rights to put some of it into their oil.  That ain't happening.

I do know that different oil companies use different detergents so if a car has been using one brand of oil for years it isn't a good idea to change to a different brand.
 The new brand's detergent may attack the accumulated gunk that's been peacefully building up in harmless places and suddenly it is being washed off into the oil to be circulated thru the bearings.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #36 on: December 19, 2011, 06:31:14 am
Big Cheese, I'm with you.  Almost all oil additives are crap that don't do 1% of what they say.  It's snake oil in the purest sense.  But Marvel Mystery oil has been around forever and it really does work for things like sticky lifters and gummed up carbs & jets.  You just add it to the crankcase oil and/or fuel and things usually do get better.  I've known countless people who've used it with good results (including me).  When it doesn't help it never seems to do any harm.  I think it's just a bunch of oils and solvents, it may be no more than kerosene/parafin and ATF.  Will it re-line your bearings?  Is it an engine rebuild in a bottle?  No, but it really is good stuff and very inexpensive to boot.

Scott

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #37 on: December 19, 2011, 06:37:10 am

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Reply #38 on: December 19, 2011, 08:51:38 am
So basically, Coca Cola....... ;)

Speaking of snake oil additives, the fuel catalyst has been around for decades. It comes under various trade names but is basically a bit of metal, mostly tin and some secret stuff (coca cola I expect) which you drop into your tank and it stops pinging, gumming, improves performance & mpg, lets you run vintage engines on unleaded petrol, prolongs engine life, and cures coughs, colds & pimples on your parts for all I know. These things have been scientifically & comprehensively proven to have no effect whatsoever, yet are still sold (online and from witches) with the same claims and testimonials.
Can an engine benefit from the placebo effect?  Its owner can it seems.....  ::)

Just eat a bit of marmite every day, on warm toast with plenty of butter, and everything will be fine with the world.... ;)
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

Lwt Big Cheese

• Grand Gearhead
  • Getting there, slowly...
Reply #39 on: December 19, 2011, 10:13:35 am
Ooo I love Marmite. On hot buttered toast.

Apparently its good spread on toast before adding the cheese under the grill, but I've not tried that.
No warranty implied or given.
Packed in a protective atmosphere.
May contain nuts.

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #40 on: December 19, 2011, 10:32:23 am
I can confirm it is so.

Also, when having marmite on hot buttered toast, add thin slices of cucumber on top.  ;)

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #41 on: December 19, 2011, 04:47:17 pm
A quart of MMO is $4.99 at O'Reilly's in SoCal.
SInce I put some in my bike the clattering has minimized to nothing are may one clack when I start it in the morning, but on the other hand, it's not quite as cold as it was the morning it was really giving me hell. So, I can't honestly offer anything absolutely conclusive. But it did refill my oil tank, so that's OK.
Bare
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 04:52:05 pm by barenekd »
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #42 on: December 19, 2011, 07:05:25 pm
But Marvel Mystery oil has been around forever and it really does work for things like sticky lifters and gummed up carbs & jets.  You just add it to the crankcase oil and/or fuel and things usually do get better.  I've known countless people who've used it with good results (including me)..

Count me in there too - MMO has cleaned up my car's fuel injector and engine,  absolutely no doubt about it.  

Here is a recent post 'Bike Ran Fine, Then Died' in Classic Section - The spark plug pictures show results obtained by Jdrouin as he decoked his REs combustion chamber, got rid of built up carbon by simply adding MMO to chamber and soaking for a couple of hours.

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,12722.0/all.html
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 07:13:49 pm by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #43 on: December 19, 2011, 07:13:46 pm
That's the coca cola doing its stuff...... ;)

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #44 on: December 19, 2011, 07:24:27 pm
That's the coca cola doing its stuff...... ;)

:D ! You are right Will.  

Coca cola will do the same  ;) - It has phosphoric acid - H3PO4, which is the active ingredient of many commercially sold rust converters / dissolvers / removers such as Naval Jelly.

@Maturin:

First marvel mystery oil taking my car on a marvelously magical mystery tour to strawberry fields and now this thingy... naval jelly.  What is with these names ?  Is it for REal :D !
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 07:40:20 pm by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5