Author Topic: Marathon UCEs  (Read 2771 times)

Maturin

• Grand Gearhead
  • My Precious
on: December 13, 2011, 11:34:53 am
Let´s have a look: where´s the UCE with the highest mileage? Any major damage?

Mine stands on 16´kms, but there must be mills with more than double as much.  I´m asking because I´d like to mount a PowderCommander next spring and want to know which part will blow up first  ;D
2010 G5
A Garage without a Bullet is a empty, barren hole.

When acellerating the tears of emotion must flow off horizontally to the ears.
Walter Röhrl

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, 02:58:35 pm
12,407 miles on my '09 C5. No problems.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #2 on: December 13, 2011, 10:50:34 pm
I know of one in CA with over 14,000 mi
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: December 13, 2011, 11:37:36 pm
My G5 has 18,994 miles (30,390 kilometers) and it is going to storage this week before snow storms arrive this winter.  

There are a few bikes in India with similar or a little more miles on them.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 08:10:08 pm by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #4 on: December 13, 2011, 11:45:33 pm
Just a thought, might you want to ask who has lots of mileage and flogs their bike?  It seems that you're interested in the combination of high mileage and hard use, not just mileage.  Scooter Bob beat the snot out of one of his test bikes and couldn't break it.  I think that speaks more to what you are interested in.

That said, the PC on it's own or with a free flow air cleaner and exhaust shouldn't put that much more stress on the engine, even if you wring it out.  When you start changing engine internals (cams, pistons, head work, crankshaft, etc.) that's when you really start pushing things and the weak links begin to fail.

Scott

Maturin

• Grand Gearhead
  • My Precious
Reply #5 on: December 14, 2011, 10:54:20 am
I guess it is hard to say what flogging actually means. I´m used to the idea that, apart maintenance problems, only two things do really strain the motor: cold starts with high revs and permanent full throttle on the Autobahn.
But my experience is mainly car related and, if anything, high-mileage-related problems may tell about the weak points inside the motor.
The reason why I really wanted to collect information was Ace´s posting elsewhere regarding possible power gain: http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,12542.msg140179.html#msg140179
So let´s look around a bit. I remember there were 2 or three bikes with more than 30´kms a year ago, but I can´t recall the posting.
I´m looking forward to the point when, due to mileage, complete rebuilds will take place. Lot´s of information can be gathered then. Best regards
2010 G5
A Garage without a Bullet is a empty, barren hole.

When acellerating the tears of emotion must flow off horizontally to the ears.
Walter Röhrl

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: December 14, 2011, 05:02:02 pm
Flogging can also include continually revving out to redline in every gear. Slamming downshifts the overspeed the engine. Just general full throttle use.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #7 on: December 14, 2011, 05:53:07 pm
That's my take too, lots of full throttle, hard braking, hitting the rev limiter...

Scott

elwoodpdowd2

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: December 15, 2011, 02:46:48 am
Is Fox a candidate to ask. I think his descriptions of commuting in the Phila (?) area might be considered flogging.
Be well
Elwood

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: December 15, 2011, 03:09:55 am
That's my take too, lots of full throttle, hard braking, hitting the rev limiter...

Scott

Hard braking on an Enfield ???  :o 

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #10 on: December 15, 2011, 04:16:39 am
I said hard braking, not hard stopping;)

Scott

Fox

• Bulleteer
Reply #11 on: December 15, 2011, 08:29:04 pm
Is Fox a candidate to ask. I think his descriptions of commuting in the Phila (?) area might be considered flogging.
Be well
Elwood

A casual rider might say I 'flog' my machines. I would say that I ride very hard, but I'm not abusive. I'm 24 and still pissing vinegar, but I'm a fairly skilled rider and I take care of my bikes.

A quick timeline of my ownership experience:

Miles:
90   Adjusted throttle control
280   First oil / filter change
900   Second oil / filter change
~1000   Exhaust heat shield falls off
?? Took to the dealer to have some issues taken care of, faceplant in the rain on the way, none of my issues were properly taken care of, none of the parts that had to be ordered ever came in
2990   Third oil / filter change
3200   header gasket blew, temporary replacement by a local shop
3500   Tooth breaks off rear sprocket, bike is parked (6.5 months ago)
And it's sat ever since.

A bunch of calls and emails to my dealer, and I am almost completely ignored. At the time, I was working 60 hours a week, and I didn't have much free time to spend addressing this much less keeping my life in order. Since they wouldn't even give me the time of day, there wasn't much I could have done barring hiring a machinist to make me the parts by hand.

Fast-forward to a few weeks ago and I manage to work out a deal to buy some of the parts myself. Initially I was told I would be sent the parts I need as a special exception (chain and sprockets are considered wear items and are not covered under warranty - as it turns out, not even when they fail at 3500 miles), but I guess that was a non-starter.

The work I need to do requires taking off the side cover, and I'm not comfortable doing the job in the limited amount of daylight I'm left with. Also it's December and riding season for Enfields is over because they salt the roads in Pennsylvania. So I'm looking for a place to garage the bike until spring, but that might not be possible since obviously it's not roadworthy at the moment.

Maybe if I'd shouted, acted like a jackass, or threatened a lawsuit, my issues would have been taken care of already. But that's not how I operate, and I only have so much energy to devote to this. The simple fact is that things went wrong, I pointed them out, nobody stepped up to the plate, and I couldn't spend all my time hounding my dealer or CMW directly. So my bike has sat, battery on a tender, for over half a year and will continue to do so until spring. At that point I will have to fix it myself and there will still be a laundry list of things wrong with it and probably more from sitting for so long.

I'd love nothing more than to say I have 10,000 miles on it and no issues. If nothing had gone wrong, that's exactly what I'd be saying. My KLR, which had 15,000 on the clock last September, now has 33,000. It lives outside, never gets washed, and I spend 16 hours a week on it. All I've ever done is change the oil, chain (once), tires (twice), did valve adjustment, took care of miscellaneous minor issues, but that is it. Even with the type of riding I do. No, it doesn't have the 'mojo' of the Bullet. It's ugly as mortal sin. But it is reliable to a fault, much cheaper to run, easier to work on, parts are available for it, and I don't have to worry much about it crapping the bed in the first place.

I read all over about folks from India using these as their workhorses, entire families riding on them and their incredible GVWR. What people often leave out is that there are legions of expert mechanics all around who know these bikes in and out and will fix them for you on the cheap.

Sorry to sound negative - I know most of you have had no issues or very few - but this is my reality.

Once I take care of the issues and get it roadworthy, I am thinking hard about just cutting my losses and selling it in the spring. It was the most fun I've ever had on two wheels, but my support experience has made me strongly regret my decision to buy it in the first place. I really don't think it's worth it to me at to keep around, knowing that I'll have the same uphill battle next time something goes wrong - and it will; I ride too much for any bike to be totally trouble-free.
2000 KLR650 - Clack Clack the Sorry Green Bastard
2009 Royal Enfield G5 Deluxe

greggers

• Bulleteer
Reply #12 on: December 16, 2011, 01:30:32 am
Wow Fox that sucks I'm sorry to hear you had so many problems. I can definitely vouch for the long time it takes to get new parts in, thankfully the dealers (one in LA, one in SF) I've dealt with have been responsive, but they can only do so much it seems. For example, I broke a header stud over the summer (my own fault), needed to order a new one, and the dealer put in the order, which took about 2.5 months to come in. I would call them every few weeks to check in on it, and they always said the same thing, the order went in but they have no way to track it beyond that. When I went to pick it up, I talked to the parts manager, and he said it's just that way, the parts from RE always just show up one day. That's kind of been my experience ordering from Nfield (CMW) too, stuff will just kind of magically show up. We might just be spoiled by all the new online shopping we are used to, but it does leave you kind of feeling helpless when all you want is the parts to fix your bike.

Still, I love this bike, and I'm not getting rid of it if I can help it.

Lwt Big Cheese

• Grand Gearhead
  • Getting there, slowly...
Reply #13 on: December 16, 2011, 12:22:14 pm
Shame P&P is so much. Here in the UK stuff like that is on the shelves.
No warranty implied or given.
Packed in a protective atmosphere.
May contain nuts.