Author Topic: Need Info on this Royal Enfield!!  (Read 2739 times)

JHouse

• Neophyte
on: December 11, 2011, 03:34:07 am
http://www.nlclassifieds.com/classifieds/RecreationVehicles/Motorcycles/Other/750534

I've recently found this bike for sale in my town. I'm no expert on Royal Enfields but this bike has me interested so I'm looking for some information.

First of all, can someone tell me what model this is? and estimated age? It's supposed to be a 350cc from the 30s or 40s but after looking around the net, I think it may not be that old. Maybe in the 50s?

After finding out what it is, can some of you experts give me an idea of what is missing from the bike? Definitely needs cables, light, exhaust and battery and box. But anything else you can tell me would be appreciated. Any estimates on costs of getting it in running order and difficulty of getting parts?

Basically I'm looking for any information or resources I can get on this bike.

Thanks in advance!

DNash

• Idiot
  • Bulleteer
  • '01 Military - "Rocinante"
Reply #1 on: December 11, 2011, 04:17:44 am
Model G or Model CO, I think, and it might be as young as early '50s, but I'd bet on mid-late '40s. I don't know enough to tell you what bits it lacks, unfortunately, but the chaps at Hitchcock's (www.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com) would not only know, but could probably sell or at least direct you to the missing bits. Hitchcock's has a pretty good stock of old Enfield parts - I imagine you could find the great majority of the missing bits there.

The mention of originally having "army green" paint and belonging to the Newfoundland Rangers suggests to me that it might be a WD/CO.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 04:21:14 am by DNash »

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #2 on: December 11, 2011, 05:07:05 am
The earliest Royal Enfield hydraulic front forks shown in "ROYAL ENFIELD- BY MILES THE BEST!" is the 1946 Model G and Model J.

The Model G was a 346cc and the Model J was a 499cc bike.

The fuel tank and the handlebars on the bike in the photos doesn't look like either one of these but it may have been changed sometime in its lifetime.

One thing is for certain.  The front fork on the motorcycle in the photos  is not from the 1930's.  Before 1946 all Royal Enfield forks were the spring loaded girder type.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: December 12, 2011, 10:49:11 pm
There is also a reasonable chance what they think is a reverse gear is a neutral finder.

DNash

• Idiot
  • Bulleteer
  • '01 Military - "Rocinante"
Reply #4 on: December 13, 2011, 03:38:06 pm
There is also a reasonable chance what they think is a reverse gear is a neutral finder.

I completely overlooked the "reverse" business, but now that you mention it, I think it's pretty likely that the "reverse" is a misidentified neutral finder, as you suggest.

As far as I know, the only Enfield gearboxes with a reverse were built for the patrol car trikes, and those have only three forward gears. (I think the shift layout put Reverse where we normally find 1st)

Maturin

• Grand Gearhead
  • My Precious
Reply #5 on: December 13, 2011, 10:57:29 pm
What about the price? Is 3200BP a number to be reckoned with? Actually I was quite surprised considering the fact that there is a pretty looking G at Hitchcock´s for 3k quid.
2010 G5
A Garage without a Bullet is a empty, barren hole.

When acellerating the tears of emotion must flow off horizontally to the ears.
Walter Röhrl

gunnerasch

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: December 14, 2011, 11:18:36 am
Its probably a WD/CO model originaly set up for a sidecar.

3 speed gear box WITH reverse.

Probably one of the 30,000 made for the various military powers that were issued.
I understand that Canada got a bunch of them
After the war in 46..a bunch of them were turned out for surplus and a bunch more that handnt been shipped from the factory on VE day were also surplused as they were paid for before shipping.

Gunner

Desi Bike

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: December 14, 2011, 04:30:42 pm
$3200 is in Canadian dollars, it exchages to UK pounds to about 2000.

میں نہیں چاہتا کہ ایک اچار
میں صرف اپنی موٹر سائیکل پر سوار کرنا چاہتے ہیں