Author Topic: Bike wouldn't start this morning  (Read 3793 times)

Dallastheologian

• Scooter
on: December 06, 2011, 03:12:14 pm
I couldn't get the bike to start this morning. It was 33 degrees this morning. I assume it is being temperamental because of the weather. Is there anything I need to be doing to ensure a quick start in the mornings?

I don't have a garage so it is parked outside. Please help. Thanks in advance.

Info: 2011 B5
The engine tries to turn and the electric starter powers up. It just sputters and never actually turns.

I suppose I could have tried a kick start, but I don't know if that would have helped.

Ragmas

• Grease Monkey
Reply #1 on: December 06, 2011, 04:12:12 pm
Before you turn the key kick it over a few times.  Then slowly move the kicker until you meet a lot of resistance.  Stop moving the kicker right there.  Now, if you look at the left hand comtrols you will see the enriching lever.  Turn the key on and once the engine light turns offdepress the enrichment lever and hit the starter.  When I say depress I mean pull it down and hold it down, it is a momentary lever and shoyuld snap back up when you release it.  Once the bike starts you should be able to release the lever.  If it sputters a bit you can depress the enricher some more but you may not need to .

Good luck,

Samgar
2009 G-5 Military
Little Falls, NY

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #2 on: December 06, 2011, 04:16:10 pm
By never turns you mean it sorta grinds but does not move the piston and no air is pumped out the pipe?   If that is the case I would try the kicker.

One thing to do is put a bit of no-ox dielectric grease on any exposed connector if you leave the bike outside.  Condensation from dew and such will eventually cause corrosion and a little corrosion will cause odd electrical issues.  A little proper grease on the fitting keeps the oxygen and water off the connectors and prevents said corrosion and voltage drops.     You can get little packets of dielectric grease at the counter of any parts store.
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

motomataya

• Grease Monkey
Reply #3 on: December 06, 2011, 04:17:38 pm
With the auto decompression it's harder to find top dead center. There is no real solid stop at the kickstarter. It should have no problem starting at 33 degrees with the electric starter and the enrichner. Is the Battery up? If not kickstart it and make sure it's charging.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: December 06, 2011, 05:27:30 pm
Get something that will keep your engine warmer. Maybe a dip stick heater will fit down the hole and keep the oil warm. I used to fly a helicopter in cold weather and I'd just lay a small electric heater, or even just a light bulb can help under the oil pan.  Started right up in the coldest weather. Preferably put it under the bike just after running it so it has to keep the hot oil warm instead having to warm up the oil.
Bare   
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Maturin

• Grand Gearhead
  • My Precious
Reply #5 on: December 06, 2011, 07:59:24 pm
When the e-starter doesn´t turn the engine it looks like the battery hasn´t enough juice left. You could try to jumpstart it with the help of any car or bike, and afterwards drive a little in order to get some charge into the battery again. Did you drive only short distances recently? This strains the battery quite a lot, especially when you don´t kick sometimes.
Look after your battery first and make sure it is properly filled with acid. If not, you have to remove it and refill distilled water up to the maximum sign. If the level falls below minimum there´s the danger of a short inside the battery. Usually a battery damaged this way is kaputt and has to be replaced.
One issue of all injection engines is that you need a working electric system including a at least half-way charged battery to run or even start it. In India this problem was a little bit underestimated and the Bullet´s wiring and charging could defenitely be better. There is a broad consensus in this forum that you have to rework the electrics regularly, like greasing the battery contacts or checking the connectors. If you search around the key words in the UCE-section of this forum you´ll find lots of tipps.
After you made sure that you batterie´s maintenance is done, you can kick it. If this doesn´t work, try to jumpstart it.
I hope that helps. I was not sure that I understood correctly that your starter didn´t turn the motor. However, if the starter turns and its not firing then the problem is not the battery. You could check it anyway  ;D
Best regards
Maturin
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 08:02:39 pm by Maturin »
2010 G5
A Garage without a Bullet is a empty, barren hole.

When acellerating the tears of emotion must flow off horizontally to the ears.
Walter Röhrl

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: December 06, 2011, 10:22:21 pm
Sounds like a dead battery.

To kick start a B5 in very cold weather ...

1. Place on center stand for better kicking power

2. kickstand up and in neutral

3. kick through slowly a few times to get oil moving

4. find Top Dead Centre by kicking just past the "tight" bit

5. ignition on

6. give a solid full kick without touching throttle or enricher

7. if it fails to start find TDC again

8. turn ignition on and off to reprime

9. solid full kick with enricher on this time

Fox

• Bulleteer
Reply #7 on: December 07, 2011, 01:44:12 am
If it is the battery, and you plan on riding in consistently cold weather, consider upgrading your battery.

The stocker is a Yuasa YB14L-A2, same as stock in my KLR. I replaced it with a Deka ETX15L AGM - this is an exact replacement for the Yuasa. AGM batteries are much better in cold weather, whereas the traditional lead acid batteries will fall flat when the temps dip.

I've also heard good things about a new battery type. Here's a quote from KLR650.net:

Its been as low as 19F here lately. AGM is certainly a better choice over acid however battery technology has moved on. I run one of the new LiFE batteries. I got mine from http://www.alienmotion.com Model AM8-01. Smaller, lighter, more powerful and virtually no internal drain as well as twice the life expected over Acid or AGM types.

On cold mornings I'll turn the key to "on" position then get dressed. Leaving the key on allows the battery to warm itself internally. When I kit the starter button a few minutes later the bike cranks/starts as if I was back in Phoenix mid summer.

I would assume since it works with the KLR that it also works with the Bullet since the stock ones are the same model / dimensions. Obviously no guarantees though.
2000 KLR650 - Clack Clack the Sorry Green Bastard
2009 Royal Enfield G5 Deluxe

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #8 on: December 07, 2011, 01:54:08 am
If it is the battery, and you plan on riding in consistently cold weather, consider upgrading your battery.

The stocker is a Yuasa YB14L-A2, same as stock in my KLR. I replaced it with a Deka ETX15L AGM - this is an exact replacement for the Yuasa. AGM batteries are much better in cold weather, whereas the traditional lead acid batteries will fall flat when the temps dip.

I've also heard good things about a new battery type. Here's a quote from KLR650.net:

I would assume since it works with the KLR that it also works with the Bullet since the stock ones are the same model / dimensions. Obviously no guarantees though.

At my work we are migrating away from lead acid to similar batteries.  These things are great and very stable.  Worth the price..
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

Fox

• Bulleteer
Reply #9 on: December 07, 2011, 01:58:55 am
And if it's not worth the price now, it will be the moment you find yourself with a battery that's been cranked dead in 20 degree weather.

Of course that may not be a very common problem, it takes a "special" rider to saddle up in that weather.

Desi Bike

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: December 07, 2011, 03:19:22 am
I'm special... Lol...   Not like short bus special...  Hehe
میں نہیں چاہتا کہ ایک اچار
میں صرف اپنی موٹر سائیکل پر سوار کرنا چاہتے ہیں

Dallastheologian

• Scooter
Reply #11 on: December 07, 2011, 03:28:49 am
May have to try the battery thing tomorrow. Tried the kick start and nothing. It would make the efi engage (whirring sound when you first turn the key) when I would kick through.

I need to call the dealer tomorrow. Which sucks because he is an hour away and I have a dead bike that I will have to haul to him for him to fix it.

At least it is under warranty still.

Fox

• Bulleteer
Reply #12 on: December 07, 2011, 04:49:36 am
A brand new battery, unless the dealer's prep was so egregiously bad that they didn't even put electrolyte in it, should still be able to turn the engine at pretty much any temperature. Usually what happens is that they'll turn but they don't have enough juice to get a good enough spark.

I would check out the other suggestions before assuming it's the battery.

greggers

• Bulleteer
Reply #13 on: December 07, 2011, 08:54:12 am
I would almost certainly guess the battery. Battery Tender Jr. is a solid investment (like $30 on Amazon) to have with this bike. Pop on the tender for an hour and it should be good enough to start, leave it overnight and it should be good for a few weeks.

Maturin

• Grand Gearhead
  • My Precious
Reply #14 on: December 07, 2011, 10:18:11 am
Not so fast gentlemen, the stock battery may only be a little weak due to cold and humid weather. The stock one isn´t great, but possibly it is only insufficiently charged and otherwise in a good shape. No necessity to spend money until its clear that the battery is dead. The warranty will provide good supply of new, mediocre stock batteries in this case.
Dallas, there are plenty of treats dealing with battery trouble. Just search 5 minutes and you´ll find a beginner´s guide how to test it.
Regards Maturin
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 10:21:38 am by Maturin »
2010 G5
A Garage without a Bullet is a empty, barren hole.

When acellerating the tears of emotion must flow off horizontally to the ears.
Walter Röhrl

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: December 08, 2011, 03:13:43 am
If there is enough juice left to fire up the fuel injection it should really kick start.

Does it have spark ?