Author Topic: Problems with Kickstart  (Read 1740 times)

Superchuck

• Grand Gearhead
on: December 03, 2011, 02:03:20 pm
So my bike has decided to start being finicky about starting this past week.  It's been parked for about three weeks since we've had pretty consistent rain here in Baltimore.  It feels to me like it's something to do with the kickstarter, as in it's not cranking the engine as well as it usually does.  I skimmed Snidal's section on a slipping kickstarter and troubleshooting it, and it seems like a PITA, so I came on here for a second opinion.  I can usually get it started eventually, but prior to this week it would start first kick every time.  EVERY time.  I find the seemingly sudden decline in startability strange.

One thing that I have very little experience with is the clutch throw-out adjuster.  I "helped" a buddy of mine tweak his clutch throwout to little or no avail last year, but in doing so I learned that it has somewhat of an effect on the kickstarter's contact with the engine as well.  Could this perhaps be my problem?  My shifting has been fine, great actually, with no noticeable change.

Any other ideas of what it could be?  It's not the battery as I put it on the charger to eliminate that variable and the problem persists.  I've never touched my carb since buying the bike from the dealer last february.  Could this be related?  I've also never changed my spark plug since buying it new.  Checked it a few months ago and re-set the gap and it's been generally fine.  Could it be the three week old fuel that I'm burning in the tank?  I hear that stuff degrades quickly, but don't know its actual detrimental effects.  Again, I have a inkling that it's kickstart related, but have no way of telling for sure since my E/S's solenoid is canned.

Thanks in advance!

Heading to a cycle shop today to pick up my new mirrors, so I'll see if they have any solenoids that'd fit my bike.  (lawnmower yeah I know)

Cheers,

Chuck

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: December 03, 2011, 05:51:15 pm
The problem sound like your clutch is slipping. That's about the only thing that the kick starter goes through that has any effect on the starting mechanism that can slip, except for the pawl and you'd know if that was broken, the kick starter would just go to the bottom of the stroke with no resistance. Back off the cable adjustment until you have slack in the lever throw, then try kicking it and see if that helps. If not you will have to go into the pushrod adjustment screw. You say you have done this before on your buddies bike so you know the drill. You just need to back off the adjuster until you have a bit of free play there. Then after you're done there, readjust your cable.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Superchuck

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: December 03, 2011, 06:04:41 pm
thanks I'll go try loosening the clutch cable adjuster now.  thanks for the advice- will report back with findings~

chuck