Author Topic: Ordering Parts from USA to UK  (Read 5334 times)

TCP

• Caseman
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #15 on: December 05, 2011, 03:28:27 am
No doubt.  It's double / triple / quadruple taxation.

Despicable.

Almost as bad as the inheritance tax. 

At least with the VAT, you have the choice not to buy in most cases (except for necessities like food and gasoline)

With the inheritance tax, no choice.  We are all going to go someday.

Caseman
The Caseman

"Neither rain nor snow nor sleet nor hail
will keep me from riding unless I can't make bail"

1969 Triumph T120R
1972 Triumph T120R OIF
2011 Royal Enfield C5 Classic Chrome

SimonT

• Bulleteer
Reply #16 on: December 06, 2011, 10:47:30 pm
I put something in for delivery here to australia... and the postage is very high too :(

I want an EFI muffler... it was like $170 postage... as much as the muffler itself from memory...

So this may not be a VAT issues. We have GST here, but not on things bought overseas.

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: December 07, 2011, 02:28:41 am
I put something in for delivery here to australia... and the postage is very high too :(

I want an EFI muffler... it was like $170 postage... as much as the muffler itself from memory...

So this may not be a VAT issues. We have GST here, but not on things bought overseas.

I got my up-swept at Motociclio in Sydney. I see no reason why you couldn't get an EFI locally as well.

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #18 on: December 07, 2011, 07:28:41 am
.International shipping can be and is very expensive. There is no good way around it unless you can ship larger amounts by sea which is slow.  It can also be very difficult....or not. It is easier and quicker for us to ship to Korea than it is to Canada. The Canadian post system and govt. make it tough for consumers there. When you pick up a package from the US at your post office they slap you with a duty or VAT tax. When you buy in the US from a member or the EU you do NOT pay VAT. If someone charges you VAT from Europe they are cheating you. By the same token if we ship there they may have to pay.

Now we are learning that free trade isn't. For example many goods can be imported into the US with no tax or duty but we cannot send the same goods to that same country without the recipient paying duty or taxes. Many countries use it to control capital in and out of the country. India is a good example of that. Lots of high duties for goods coming in. The US govt.  got the Indian govt. to agree to allow the pollution that comes from a large V-Twin (they had to modify their laws to allow this additional lowering of their emission standards) in exchange for the US allowing Indian Mangos to be sold in the US. Right or wrong this type of thing is how it works. The US in one of the least restrictive countries in the world. But when we bring in parts we have to classify every last nut bolt and washer according to govt. descriptions to see if duty applies
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

TCP

• Caseman
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #19 on: December 07, 2011, 01:09:29 pm
Nothing like bureaucracy and governmental finger wiggling to stifle economic growth and prosperity.

Caseman
The Caseman

"Neither rain nor snow nor sleet nor hail
will keep me from riding unless I can't make bail"

1969 Triumph T120R
1972 Triumph T120R OIF
2011 Royal Enfield C5 Classic Chrome

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #20 on: December 07, 2011, 10:54:45 pm
The US govt.  got the Indian govt. to agree to allow the pollution that comes from a large V-Twin (they had to modify their laws to allow this additional lowering of their emission standards) in exchange for the US allowing Indian Mangos to be sold in the US.

So Harleys leave the country and we get yummy mangos in exchange?  That sounds like win-win to me :)

SimonT

• Bulleteer
Reply #21 on: December 07, 2011, 11:52:42 pm
I got my up-swept at Motociclio in Sydney. I see no reason why you couldn't get an EFI locally as well.

Thanks Glen :) Ill keep that in mind...

How much was your upswept?

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: December 08, 2011, 03:19:16 am
Thanks Glen :) Ill keep that in mind...

How much was your upswept?

No idea because John at Motocilio threw it in as part of a package deal on my B5.  

Pretty sure they would be cheaper locally than importing from the US though.

BTW ... if you do fit an up-swept or EFI make sure you also fit a longer aftermarket heat-shield or you will burn your leg every time you stop for fuel :D

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: December 08, 2011, 03:21:58 am
So Harleys leave the country and we get yummy mangos in exchange?  That sounds like win-win to me :)

So if we buy your excess mangoes will you take back all those annoying Harleys you ship out here ?

SimonT

• Bulleteer
Reply #24 on: December 08, 2011, 03:32:17 am
No idea because John at Motocilio threw it in as part of a package deal on my B5.  

Pretty sure they would be cheaper locally than importing from the US though.

BTW ... if you do fit an up-swept or EFI make sure you also fit a longer aftermarket heat-shield or you will burn your leg every time you stop for fuel :D

Thanks for the tip :)

SimonT

• Bulleteer
Reply #25 on: December 08, 2011, 03:33:39 am
So if we buy your excess mangoes will you take back all those annoying Harleys you ship out here ?

But Glenn we have the best mangos right here... *drools*

and they are cheap at the moment too :)

Maybe there is something else we can trade harleys for.....peanut butter M&Ms maybe?

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #26 on: December 08, 2011, 04:24:03 am

Do you know what the VAT tax on a re-imported Harley would be???  Forget it!

Scott

Maturin

• Grand Gearhead
  • My Precious
Reply #27 on: December 08, 2011, 11:36:00 am
Do you know what the VAT tax on a re-imported Harley would be???  Forget it!

Scott

:D   ;D   :D   ;D   :D   ::)
2010 G5
A Garage without a Bullet is a empty, barren hole.

When acellerating the tears of emotion must flow off horizontally to the ears.
Walter Röhrl