Author Topic: RE fanatic in the making -Calgary ,Alberta .Canada  (Read 792 times)

HOBONORTHERN

• Neophyte
on: November 29, 2011, 09:35:15 pm
 ;D very interested in RE. but we only have 1 dealer in Calgary ,Alberta
Curious as to top speed, torque and performance available from 500cc single
I realize it won't set records ,its not made for that but we average 100-110 km
on freeways, and hwys 110-120 backroads aren't much slower [

Desi Bike

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: November 29, 2011, 10:34:43 pm
Greetings from Windsor Ontario. The enfield line is great for toodling around town and can keep up with traffic on the highway, its just borderline for life expectancy of both you and the bike running on the freeway. I find my C5 (chrome classic in Canada) does give me a better ride on the backroads at 110km or so than on the highway with wind turbulance from trucks. I've had mine up to 142km/h for a short stint. The key to lasting performance on these bikes is properly breaking them in. They are unlike most bikes available today where they are pretty much broken in on the showroom floor. Follow the proper break in proceedure and the bike will shine for you in performance. Just bare in mind that you will always be a one man parade as everyone wants to know how old the bike is. You'll meet all sorts of people that want to talk bike with you.  Enjoy it if you take the plunge..
میں نہیں چاہتا کہ ایک اچار
میں صرف اپنی موٹر سائیکل پر سوار کرنا چاہتے ہیں

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #2 on: November 29, 2011, 10:36:04 pm
The book says the new 500cc Unit Construction Engine (UCE) motorcycles top speed is 82 MPH  (132 kmph).

Now that my G5 is broken in it is totally happy and vibration free up to 60 MPH (97 kmph) but at 65 MPH (105 kmph), vibration starts to be annoying.

My bikes vibration doesn't seem to get any better at speeds up to 75 MPH.

IMO, these big single cylinder motorcycles are basically an improved 1955 machine but they share the same issues that were common back then (except they usually don't leak a drop of oil).

I should also mention that for the first 300 miles the Owners Manual recommends keeping the speed below 40 MPH (60 kmph).  Then, up to 600 miles the speed can be increased to 50 MPH (90 kmph).
Over 600 miles there is no recommended speed maximum.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 10:38:41 pm by Arizoni »
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

hocko

• Grease Monkey
Reply #3 on: November 29, 2011, 11:16:48 pm
Hi all, I travel about 50km per day into and back from work, most of the commute is on what we refer to as a highway ???. The bike will maintain a steady 120kph without any trouble. re the vibrations, they do get better as the mileage goes up when I first  completed the break in period, I found that anything over 100 kph was almost unbearable, now after 8500km there is very little at 120kph. enjoy the ride.

Cheers  :)