Author Topic: B5 1000 miles report  (Read 1528 times)

Raj V

• Scooter
on: November 26, 2011, 01:35:16 pm
Speed: I can do 55mph comfortably. After that she begins to vibrate.

Mileage: 63mpg. Mostly city driving.

Bolts: Everything seems to be tight so far.

Other issues: At higher RPM, in 1st and 2nd gear, there is a pronounced khrrrrrr sound that goes away with even higher RPM. Clearly resonance related. Normally I change gear at lower RPM and never see this problem. It's not the heat shield, I drove without it to verify.

Overall: She is still opening up and getting smoother and I am getting used to her. I am keeping my fingers crossed that this trend will go on. I will love to get the noise problem fixed though, just for peace of mind.

Desi Bike

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: November 26, 2011, 02:21:56 pm
Tank badges vibrating?  ;D

Are you able to make the noise just by running the engine standing still? If so you might have a better idea where the noise is coming from. Park the bike on the centre stand facing a large grassy area and put it in gear to see if you can trace the noise. It might work, might not as there is no load on the bike doing this. The large grassy area in front of the bike is in case the rear tire hits the ground and launches the bike.
When my chain is in need of lubrication, it complains.

Congratulations on making the 1000 on your new ride.
میں نہیں چاہتا کہ ایک اچار
میں صرف اپنی موٹر سائیکل پر سوار کرنا چاہتے ہیں

Raj V

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: November 26, 2011, 06:34:59 pm
Hard to reproduce standing still. I tried revving to the point where the noise should have happened. But it didn't. The noise is quite loud and is coming from below the seat.

I will try lubing the chain.

Maturin

• Grand Gearhead
  • My Precious
Reply #3 on: November 27, 2011, 12:04:27 pm
Thanks for your report, Ray. The vibration issue will continue to diminish, as well as performance will still raise. After 1000 miles you should start to adapt her to higher revs and more throttle bit by bit. Little country roads are the best place to do that as you can alter the workload constantly, you may intersperse short full-throttle-passages on a highway occasionally.
Most rattle issues I read about came from the tank. Rubber or plastic washers may cure that problem.
Ride safe
Maturin
2010 G5
A Garage without a Bullet is a empty, barren hole.

When acellerating the tears of emotion must flow off horizontally to the ears.
Walter Röhrl

greggers

• Bulleteer
Reply #4 on: December 04, 2011, 04:49:27 am
I had a really annoying vibration that took me forever to track down, became really noticable only a certain rpm. Finally traced it today, a zip tie around some wires near the headlight with the extra "tail" bit not clipped off, and vibrating against the frame. Full of surprises, these bikes