Author Topic: 18 sprocket on Classic  (Read 14514 times)

hutch

• Grease Monkey
  • Til death do us part
on: July 25, 2007, 01:30:51 am
I was just wondering if anyone has changed the 17 front countershaft sprocket to a 18 on their Iron cyclinder bike. I changed my Savage from belt to chain to reduce the gear ratio and it had plenty of take off and didn't need heavier clutch springs, plus it cruises the interstate at 80mph at a moderate rpm. I have a workshop manual on the Bullet classic and can't believe they tell you how many teeth are on every gear except the rear sprocket. Now it is not that I am lazy, but due to medical condition I can no longer roll the bike and set on the floor to count teeth. I took off the center stand due to not being able to pick the bike up on it for the same medical reason. My hoist is tied up with a Triumph in pieces, so if someone could tell me the number of teeth on the back I would appreciate it. What I really would like to know  is if anyone has went to the 18, and if it turned the bike into a dog for take off. I have been changing and playing with gear ratios on cars and bikesfor years ,so I know the trade offs, I just need to know if anyone has done it, and how it performed.     Thanks    Hutch
You learn from your mistakes, and I have LEARNED a lot.

Robb

• Scooter
Reply #1 on: July 25, 2007, 02:05:27 am

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2003 ES 500... 38,416 miles, I'm done
Reply #2 on: July 25, 2007, 03:00:26 am
Hutch-  I had the 18 th put on my 2003  b4 delivery. If you do much town driving it will put your shift points more in line with the speed limits. Take-off involves just a little slip of the clutch but that is all. The heavier springs or a washer under 3 will help....
I would say on the top end of the scale it gives you another 5 MPH b4  strain. If you live in a hilly or moumtainous area the 17 may suit you better. I'm here in the flatlands  of central Illinois.
- Mike
'My dear you are ugly,
 but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly'
 - Winston Churchill

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: July 25, 2007, 03:13:46 am
I have the 18 on mine - makes the bike a tad faster - only thing with it, is the chain hits the gear selector shaft, changing down.. Doesn't do any harm, just makes a noise.
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
''99 Classic Bullet. '05 Ural Tourist sidecar rig, converted to 2wd. '05 Harley Davidson Sportster.
Jefferson County, WA

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I loved this bike!!
Reply #4 on: July 25, 2007, 02:07:54 pm
I was just wondering if anyone has changed the 17 front countershaft sprocket to a 18 on their Iron cyclinder bike. ...... What I really would like to know  is if anyone has went to the 18, and if it turned the bike into a dog for take off.   Thanks    Hutch

Hutch,
  I, like many others, changed to an 18.  I don't think it makes much difference in the lower gears but under many conditions like wind, hills, etc, I feel like it doesn't pull enough RPMs in 5th.  Understand that I'm a big guy, 6 foot, 230.  When time comes to change sprokets I think I'll go back to the 17.

Just my 2 cents  ;D
Leonard
2009 Triumph Bonneville T100
2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5 (RIP)
2001 Kawasaki W650 (going, going...gone)
http://www.romeoriders.com

hutch

• Grease Monkey
  • Til death do us part
Reply #5 on: July 25, 2007, 02:34:16 pm
Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the info. The Savage has the 8.5 compression and higher torque like the Electra and It worked out great on it. I thought that with the lower compression and torque on theClassic it might not work out so well. I guess I will just have to buy a new Electra(what a shame) for higher cruising speed, and use the Classic for secondary roads. The Savage already fits the bill, but I would rather sell it and have 3 Enfields counting my 67 Interceptor. Once again, THANK YOU all     Hutch

dewjantim

• Grease Monkey
Reply #6 on: July 25, 2007, 04:36:28 pm
Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the info. The Savage has the 8.5 compression and higher torque like the Electra and It worked out great on it. I thought that with the lower compression and torque on theClassic it might not work out so well. I guess I will just have to buy a new Electra(what a shame) for higher cruising speed, and use the Classic for secondary roads. The Savage already fits the bill, but I would rather sell it and have 3 Enfields counting my 67 Interceptor. Once again, THANK YOU all     Hutch
1967 Interceptor...... one of the fastest English bikes ever made.......ran the quarter in the 13s real close to 100 mph..........top speed of 130 mph. All of this according to period road tests. Oh yeah, did I mention that they were prettier than the Triumphs and BSAs. The finish was better, and those big chrome mufflers were really "cool". Dew.
If it hurts, you're not dead yet!!!!!

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: July 25, 2007, 05:13:04 pm
1967 Interceptor...... one of the fastest English bikes ever made.......ran the quarter in the 13s real close to 100 mph..........top speed of 130 mph. All of this according to period road tests. Oh yeah, did I mention that they were prettier than the Triumphs and BSAs. The finish was better, and those big chrome mufflers were really "cool". Dew.
[/quote]

They made em to be Norton killers, and that they did well.
They tend to last a little longer if you don't thrash em though. Back in the day a friend of mine had a 69 Interceptor. 3 clutches-2 gearboxes and a tweeked swingarm later he just pushed it out to the road on garbage day.  Big Mistake.
There was a 1970 series 2 Interceptor on Angie's list a few weeks back, just down the road from me. A rare bird indeed.
CJ

1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"

hutch

• Grease Monkey
  • Til death do us part
Reply #8 on: July 25, 2007, 09:02:24 pm
Yup, I found a 67 and a 70, but didn't like the way RE changed the motor in 1968 and 1/2 . It looked to much like a Triumph motor with the  heart shaped right side cover. When ever I thought of a RE I always saw the big square brutish looking bottom end where the timing chain is ,in my mind. They looked that way forever for the twins. I guess that is why the new Electra kinda doesn't look like an Enfield motor to me. I guess I am just a purist. The picture of the new bike I saw in another post just turns me off completely. I already have a Suzuki Savage, and that motor in the new RE looks like its cousin. I have a picture of the Interceptor in the members bike page .I already snapped the speedo cable when it hit 120mph. It hauls butt with my skinny 150lb frame on it. I waited a long time for that bike, it looks good setting next to my 05 Classic in green(SNKIZ). Hopefully I will be getting rid of about 4 bikes(69Triumph chopper,68 BSA 441 Shootingstar, 2002 120hp Custom,) and if I sell the Savage I might replace it with the Electra, if I ever get used to the lean burn look. At least the bottom end of the Electra looks close to the original.  I even plan on going to the right side shift on my Classic and the Electra if I decide to get one. Even though it cost $160 more than the regular partern, I want the shift pattern, 1 up, and the rest down like an Enfield is suppose to be. I just hope it has the foot lever to find nuetral too. That is what I like about the Classic, it looks original. Everybody copied the Harley look, all the cars on the road look the same, listen to the radio and all the songs sound the same. We have become a society of clones, I like distinctive. Don't ruin the RE. India are you listening. Yup, I'm a purist.    Hutch
« Last Edit: July 25, 2007, 10:20:35 pm by hutch »

FiferWD

• Scooter
  • Happiness is a warm Bullet
Reply #9 on: August 02, 2007, 02:37:59 pm
What I really would like to know  is if anyone has went to the 18, and if it turned the bike into a dog for take off. I have been changing and playing with gear ratios on cars and bikesfor years ,so I know the trade offs, I just need to know if anyone has done it, and how it performed.     Thanks    Hutch

My 2005 ES w/performance kit 1 has the 18 tooth installed.  My plan was to use any increase in power to give me lower RPM at higher speeds.  The result is very pleasing indeed!  Earl, ace mechanic at C&L Cycles (Maryland), has pronounced it the best possible gearing after a test ride.  Now if I could just figure out how to keep the oil inside the engine at higher speeds...
Yrs,
Bill
Yrs,
Bill

gapl53

Reply #10 on: August 02, 2007, 03:38:49 pm
My dad had a Interceptor, along with a BSA Lighting Rocket, BSA Gold Star, Triumph Mountain Cub and the truly ugly (but I wish I had today) MV Augusta Touring Bike.
Liked the Enfield the best by far. That's why I bought myself one as a retirement present. Traded in the gold watch. I'm retired what do I need a watch for, stupid retirement gift
Enfield is much better.

By the way what do you want for the 441, I always wanted one!

hutch

• Grease Monkey
  • Til death do us part
Reply #11 on: August 02, 2007, 05:08:27 pm
My dad had a Interceptor, along with a BSA Lighting Rocket, BSA Gold Star, Triumph Mountain Cub and the truly ugly (but I wish I had today) MV Augusta Touring Bike.
Liked the Enfield the best by far. That's why I bought myself one as a retirement present. Traded in the gold watch. I'm retired what do I need a watch for, stupid retirement gift
Enfield is much better.

By the way what do you want for the 441, I always wanted one!
I am not sure if the bike you picture in your mind is the 441 I have. I will try to post a picture. The model I have was new for 1968. The BSA company made a 250cc Starfire street bike and the 441 Victor scrambler with the chrome and gold or chrome and blue tank with the tucked in high pipe. The American market liked the 250cc Starfire, but wanted more power. In answer BSA took the proven 441 Victor motor and put it in the 250cc frame and renamed it the Shootingstar. The tank and side covers are composite not metal and it was pretty fast I imagine. The reason I say this is that I bought the bike from Vancouver and had it shipped by rail to the Canadian side of Sault St. Marie Michigan. All I have done so far is stuff and cover seat, polish and paint. I still need to re chrome fenders and parts . I haven't even tried to start it yet. It is a future project. I won't sell anything until it is running perfect. Just the way I am. Hope the picture shows up.   Hutch

That worked, wonder if I can post the 1967 Interceptor picture. Here goes.   

Now all I need to do is get the Interceptor spiffed up a little. It runs great.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2007, 05:21:53 pm by hutch »

rpnix

• Bulleteer
Reply #12 on: August 02, 2007, 06:18:53 pm
Neat photos! Both look like fun.
Bob Nix -- '06 Ural Tourist, '07 Royal Enfield Electra  <-- Click on the bike to see photos!

FiferWD

• Scooter
  • Happiness is a warm Bullet
Reply #13 on: August 04, 2007, 07:40:29 pm
I even plan on going to the right side shift on my Classic and the Electra if I decide to get one.    Hutch

I'm kind of toying with that idea too.  Some how it seems all wrong to be shifting with my left foot.  Sort of like drinking ice cold Guinness.
Yrs,
Bill

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: August 04, 2007, 08:19:30 pm
I need to get me one of those Interceptors..
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
''99 Classic Bullet. '05 Ural Tourist sidecar rig, converted to 2wd. '05 Harley Davidson Sportster.
Jefferson County, WA