Author Topic: 18 sprocket on Classic  (Read 14508 times)

hutch

• Grease Monkey
  • Til death do us part
Reply #15 on: August 05, 2007, 02:22:13 pm
I need to get me one of those Interceptors..
There was one on e-bay last week. It was completely retored and the highest bid was $5000. People on e-bay always want something for nothing. Baxters Cycles  in Indianna sold one for $9500 2 years ago. Another went for $11,000 at the mid america bike auction. The highest bid I got on my hotrod was $6000 on e-bay. I put it on the cover of the Auto and RV swapper and sold it for $10,000 in 4 hours.  The guy with the Interceptor is in my home state and belongs to the Interceptor home page like me. It is not a very active forum, but i could try to get ahold of him if you want me to. You know he wants more than $5000. I had a guy offer me $7500 for mine and I wouldn't take it, and mine aint even finished. I wanted that bike in 1967 and it took me 39 years to get it. Let me know if you want me to try to get a hold of the Interceptor owner. It might take awhile if at all.   Hutch
You learn from your mistakes, and I have LEARNED a lot.

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: August 05, 2007, 03:23:10 pm
I have no money until January - I only get paid twice a year.. :)
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
''99 Classic Bullet. '05 Ural Tourist sidecar rig, converted to 2wd. '05 Harley Davidson Sportster.
Jefferson County, WA

hutch

• Grease Monkey
  • Til death do us part
Reply #17 on: August 05, 2007, 08:13:57 pm
I have no money until January - I only get paid twice a year.. :)
wOW,  I thought monthly was bad. I would be setting home 9 months doing it your way. OUCH!!!!    Hutch
You learn from your mistakes, and I have LEARNED a lot.

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: August 05, 2007, 10:01:38 pm
Yes, it is a bit annoying - but kind of good - My Lady gets paid monthly, so that deals with the food, and such, I get paid twice a year, which pays for the big stuff.
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
''99 Classic Bullet. '05 Ural Tourist sidecar rig, converted to 2wd. '05 Harley Davidson Sportster.
Jefferson County, WA

FiferWD

• Scooter
  • Happiness is a warm Bullet
Reply #19 on: August 22, 2007, 07:41:58 pm
Is it possible to go to a smaller sprocket on the wheel instead of a larger one on the counter shaft?  Or both?
Yrs,
Bill

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2003 ES 500... 38,416 miles, I'm done
Reply #20 on: August 23, 2007, 02:35:02 am
II'd do the 18 toother if I was you...  Maybe 2 hours if you are keeping everything clean and you'll like the reward. It will give you shift points that are closer to in-town speed limits and maybe another 5mph on the speedo in that "happy place"
- Mike
'My dear you are ugly,
 but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly'
 - Winston Churchill

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: August 23, 2007, 03:00:49 pm
Is it possible to go to a smaller sprocket on the wheel instead of a larger one on the counter shaft?  Or both?

The sprockets are cast into the drum. I know of a guy that bought a machine sprocket and turned the inside out of it, turned the sprocket off the drum and welded the new one on. I don't think it's worth the hassle myself.
1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"

justin_o_guy

• Bulleteer
Reply #22 on: August 23, 2007, 05:25:29 pm
I used to have a bike that had a chain. I have seen lots of bikes with chains. I have also seen teeth on sprockets worn & hooked, requiring sprockets to be replaced. How is that accomplished at reasonable expense with the RE? Or, is it a specially hard sprocket that just doesnt wear out?

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: August 23, 2007, 08:08:03 pm
A fact of life with a Chain drive, is the sprockets wear out.  Change the rear hub, and you've got a new Sprocket. I can't remember changing one on my old Oily, but changed one on my BSA, and two on the Matchless. (I really rode that bike hard)
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
Jefferson County, WA

Spitting Bull

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: August 23, 2007, 08:21:44 pm
Here in the UK you can get specially-made half-width or full-width hubs for the RE.  The hubs are machined to take a separate, bolt-on sprocket.  The standard has 38 teeth, but there are also 42, 46 and 50-tooth versions for those who want to lower the gearing.

Tom
One cylinder is enough for anyone.

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: August 23, 2007, 08:40:07 pm
That is good to know, Tom..  I wonder if there is a way to get them over here..  I am thinking of putting a cozy onto one of the bikes I will be buying, and a lower gearing would be good.  I want a trials kit too - lowering that gearing would be fantastic - crawling around with plenty of revs is always better for observed trials.
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
Jefferson County, WA