Author Topic: Electrical Trouble  (Read 4577 times)

MOKAN-BULLET

• Bulleteer
on: April 02, 2008, 12:56:09 pm
My tail light was very dim and the break light wasn't working.

I changed the bulb and the tail light works now but only front brake triggers the light.

also my rear turn signals work but not the front.

any suggestions?

fredgold52

• Grease Monkey
  • Macomb, IL Flatlands Rule
Reply #1 on: April 02, 2008, 02:05:27 pm
If your bike has been sitting around for a while, it could have easily developed some high resistance connections.  An example of this is like when you replaced the tail light bulb, the light worked.  That and poor grounds are very common culprits in lighting failures.

Check the easiest things first.  Is your rear brake light switch properly adjusted and functioning?  Are your front turn signals plugged in?  (Check the connections inside the headlight.)

By the way, you said your rear signals work but not the front.  Does that mean they flash?  They shouldn't be able to flash without the front lights working.
2006 '65' and a 200cc Stella, Indian all the way

geoffbaker

Reply #2 on: April 02, 2008, 03:53:33 pm
On my taillamp, there were several problems.

Firstly, find and clean the connector under the seat that goes to the tail lamp.
Clean & file the ground under the mudguard bolt that holds the taillight assembly.

Check the junctions on the bulb holder of the tail light... mine has one that was very loose and which could cause a short circuit by touching the other, I had to bend it to a better shape.

Clean and sand all the copper junctions on the bulb unit.

Lastly, use pliers to "crimp" (gently) the connectors that plug onto the tailiight bulb assembly... they can easily work loose.

Ditto fredgold and the front connectors.

The rear brake light switch is in the toolbox, check the connector there and the switch itself (the spring might be disconnected).

Good luck!

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #3 on: April 02, 2008, 07:00:46 pm
A common problem is the ground connector behind the tailight. It can cause symptoms like you mention
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

MOKAN-BULLET

• Bulleteer
Reply #4 on: April 03, 2008, 12:45:17 am
I had some trouble with the tail light when I changed the bulb

I cleand the conections, ground and bent the pens forward and checked for lose conections in the tail light asmbaly.

Yes the rear turn signals flash and the fronts do not. I checked the conections under the head light and only the red wires were concected on each slide but I can't find a please were the black should go I'll send a pic of wiring in the head light you would have thought two wire would be striat forward.  ???

LotusSevenMan

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...._[:]@==<
If it ain't broke-------------------------- fix it 'till it is!

Royal Enfield Miltary 500cc  (2003)
Honda VTR FireStorm (SuperHawk) 996cc 'V' twin
Kawasaki KR1 250cc twin 'stroker
Ducati 916 'L' twin

Denny K

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: April 12, 2008, 12:43:27 am
On my taillamp, there were several problems.

Firstly, find and clean the connector under the seat that goes to the tail lamp.
Clean & file the ground under the mudguard bolt that holds the taillight assembly.

Check the junctions on the bulb holder of the tail light... mine has one that was very loose and which could cause a short circuit by touching the other, I had to bend it to a better shape.

Clean and sand all the copper junctions on the bulb unit.

Lastly, use pliers to "crimp" (gently) the connectors that plug onto the tailiight bulb assembly... they can easily work loose.

Ditto fredgold and the front connectors.

The rear brake light switch is in the toolbox, check the connector there and the switch itself (the spring might be disconnected).

Good luck!

I will try what you suggest this weekend.  My turn signals are dim and the flasher only works when the engine is reviving.  Last year a wire to one of the tail lights broke and I had a very difficult time splicing a wire to the connections under the fender.  Seems like the hard way to do it and I am not too sure about the quality of my work.  Any suggestions?

geoffbaker

Reply #7 on: April 12, 2008, 01:30:14 am
Remove the rear wheel so you can get at the wiring easily - or remove the entire fender. Take the wiring out and check it carefully. If you think it's a splice you made earlier, cut it open and redo it from scratch.

I've learned that the splice blocks they sell are often of inferior quality and either don't make a good connection or are made of poor materials. Plus, they can later come loose or break.

The only sure way to fix it is to solder it. Use shrinkwrap so you have a good watertight insulation cover.

After doing a lot of electrical work on my bike, everytime something goes wrong now, I fix it by using weatherproof snap-together connectors of high quality (where I want a connection that can be disconnected), and soldering all joints.

Denny K

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: April 12, 2008, 04:10:39 pm
Thank for the advise.

MOKAN-BULLET

• Bulleteer
Reply #9 on: April 20, 2008, 08:37:35 am
More trouble with the break light >:(

I thought I had it fixed ???

Going to take the whole assmbaly apart again.

I think the two conctions in the light socket are my problem

MOKAN-BULLET

• Bulleteer
Reply #10 on: April 20, 2008, 01:42:47 pm
 ;D I found the problem!!!!!

Lose connector under the seat the first time I checked it over I must wigled just enough to get it working

Same with the front indicators

The rear brake light is still not working

Anyone know how its wired in??

geoffbaker

Reply #11 on: April 20, 2008, 07:57:14 pm
The rear brake light terminates in a connector under the seat. It has bullet & socket connectors under the tail lamp assembly, which may be problematic. In fact, any connector on the RE may be problematic :)

MOKAN-BULLET

• Bulleteer
Reply #12 on: April 21, 2008, 06:53:26 am
I found the trouble with the Rear Brake Light

The spring had come undone from the switch that connects the mechanical  arm  of the brake to the switch in the tool box

I'll post some pics