Author Topic: Mirror adjustment  (Read 5775 times)

raderj

• Bulleteer
  • Sgt Johnson USMC
on: November 19, 2011, 06:30:41 am
I have my G5 stock mirrors swiveled as far as they will go at the ball joint and I still have to lean back and to the side a little to see behind me.  How do you adjust them so you can get a better view?  I looks like I can't move the base because it's attached to the control cluster on the handle bar.  Ideas or experiences?

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Reply #1 on: November 19, 2011, 08:18:20 am
On mine I swivelled the stems forward slightly rather than to the most "outward" position, then tilted the actual mirrors back at the ball joint to get the right angle. I still see my shoulder in the mirrors, but I get a good view behind without having to shift position.
I've since fitted Louis "American Oval" mirrors because the originals rusted. They sit a bit lower and suit the bike, but the view is about the same.
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

Marrtyn

• Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: November 19, 2011, 11:43:43 am
"originals rusted." ............sounds as if you hav'nt been using ACF50, Will.

Alan LaRue

• Bulleteer
  • Commute Time is Not the Worst Time of Day
Reply #3 on: November 19, 2011, 02:08:10 pm
I loosened the stems at the handlebars and was able to move them to a position I like.
Chinese food beats hopes and dreams any day.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #4 on: November 19, 2011, 04:03:38 pm
1) Remove mirrors
2) Buy and mount bar end mirrors

No more problems ;). They do make the bike a bit wider but they work so much better.

Scott

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Reply #5 on: November 19, 2011, 06:49:18 pm
"....  sounds as if you hav'nt been using ACF50, Will....."

It was what prompted me to buy the ACF 50, closely followed by the vacBag. I hadn't realised the bike had been slowly dissolving under it's dust cover last winter.... :o
The mirror stems had rusted brown all over, no chrome left!
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

raderj

• Bulleteer
  • Sgt Johnson USMC
Reply #6 on: November 19, 2011, 07:42:49 pm
Thanks everyone.  I'll try adjusting them in a bit.  Bar ends might be a good option.  I like how they look.

jartist

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: November 19, 2011, 08:18:56 pm
1) Remove mirrors

No more problems ;). They do make the bike a bit wider but they work so much better.

Scott
+1. The stock mirrors were great for looking at my forearms but not much else.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: November 19, 2011, 09:30:33 pm
My stock mirrors were great for looking at gigantic blurs. I couldn't tell if I was looking at elbows or traffic. Those things were useless. Bar ends for me. Cured the problem.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: November 19, 2011, 10:54:48 pm
http://nfieldgear.com/enfield-store/mirror-extensions-c5.html

These C5 mirror extensions work well. Bit flimsier than stock but my elbows are no longer the only object in my rear view mirror.
2022 Continental GT 650 Dux Deluxe
2019 Himalayan Snow
2019 Interceptor 650 - Chrome...off the first boat!
Previous REs:
2021 Meteor 350 Supernova Blue
2014 Continental GT 535 - Red...lowest VIN off the first boat!
2010 Classic 500 - Teal Chrome

indyogb

• .22 Bulleteer
  • Scooter
Reply #10 on: November 23, 2011, 03:42:03 am
1) Remove mirrors

Scott

Seconded.  My problem was more that I had to bend way down to see anything, and then it was usually just my elbows.  I got some cheap (I mean CHEAP - like < $20) bar end mirrors, and they work very well.  The Napoleons that many here seem to like look like an excellent option, but they're a little more expensive.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #11 on: November 23, 2011, 03:48:16 am
My problem with bar end mirrors is I must ride thru a gate that barely clears the handlebars to get into my back yard.

Those mirrors would get knocked off within a week. :(
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #12 on: November 23, 2011, 04:38:01 am
The Napoleons that many here seem to like look like an excellent option, but they're a little more expensive.

Napoleons are a little more expensive but not that much.  They are way less than anything from Rizoma or CRG.  They look perfect on the bike and work better than anything else.  Added bonus: the mirror weight acts as a secondary bar end weight so you get even fewer vibes.

Zoni,
The CRG Lane Splitter is a bit pricey but easily folds back 90 degrees so you can clear the gate.  It's a little more modern looking than the rest of the bike but it's also small and not too noticeable.

The Napoleons can also fold in.  The stem rotates 360 degrees at 45 degree notches right on the base if you don't totally tighten that screw.  You can set them in at an angle permanently and see a bit less but limit your wingspan or just move them it to get through the gate and then put them back once you're past.  That's the real Napoleons, not the copies.  Try it.  If you don't like it you can sell the mirror on e-bay.

Scott

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: November 23, 2011, 06:53:34 pm
Since I don't have the stock bars, I have to use the rubber inserts to hold the mirrors on, but an advantage I've found with that is that they rotate fairly easily and I can rotate them up or down if I get myself into a really tight spot. If I bump a car mirror with them they just rotate with causing any damage.
They do vibrate a bit more than they did with the solid mounts, but are still quite usable. Far superior to those stock items that came on the bike.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

raderj

• Bulleteer
  • Sgt Johnson USMC
Reply #14 on: November 24, 2011, 12:13:14 am
Do the Napoleons fit straight-away?  Does the Bullet UCE come with a 1" bar? Any carrier you guys recommend to buy these from?