Author Topic: Free Corbin Seat  (Read 2580 times)

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
on: November 16, 2011, 07:53:05 pm
Corbin the seat maker wants to develop an aftermarket seat for the G5. If any of you would care to deliver and then leave your bike for a month you get to keep the seat they  develop. As you may know they are probably the premier seat maker in the US and will develop something that is beautiful. Please PM me if you are the one.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Reply #1 on: November 16, 2011, 08:07:37 pm
If only......

I now have a Corbin Gunfighter seat on my W650 and it really looks the business. They seem hard at first but surprisingly comfortable on a long run. Apparently they gradually conform to the rider's shape. Alarmingly slippery too, but leather cleaner & ultra-fine steel wool cures it without marking the leather.

Are they going to make a solo seat or dual? Or both?
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #2 on: November 16, 2011, 08:09:54 pm
Deliver to what location?    ;D

Hmmm,  would it be worth buying a G5 to get a free Corbin seat............... :P
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #3 on: November 16, 2011, 08:35:44 pm
You probably need to go to Hollister, CA:

http://www.corbin.com/ridein.shtml

Though it's not a ride in, ride out thing.  If you want a seat just for your bike that works.  When they make a seat for production it takes longer as Kevin mentioned.  I was involved with a group that got this done when I had a different bike.

Kevin, if they want to do a C5 seat let me know.  I love Corbin seats and I'd love to make one avaiable for the C5.

Scott

Tri750

• Big Al
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #4 on: November 17, 2011, 06:12:38 am
If i may jump in, They just got the loan of a C5 for development of a bench seat.
Tentative plan is to be simular to the home market RE Thunderbird.
Low version is planned.
in the G5, the talk is about a nice bench that can be made low and hopefully a cafe version similar to what they do for early BMW and Triumph.
For the owner if the loaner G, you would likely get a choice of bench or cafe.
Current bikes:
'71 BMW R75/5 racer
'73 Kaw Z1 racer
'77 Tri 750 Bonneville
'99 BMW R1100RT

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #5 on: November 17, 2011, 03:14:43 pm
Thanks for letting me know!  Any plans for a Corbin single seat?  That's what I really want.

Scott
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 05:26:47 pm by Ducati Scotty »

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #6 on: November 17, 2011, 06:07:45 pm
I bet I could cobble a G5 solo seat onto a classic frame..  That would be nice..
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #7 on: November 17, 2011, 07:33:38 pm
I've seen and tried a few different solo seats out there.  Most of them are better than stock but none of them are as large or as firm as I want.  The stock seat is too soft for any serious seat time for me, I'm uncomfortable after and hour.  I currently have the stock pan repadded and custom shaped with stiff, high density kayak seat closed cell foam.  Not perfect but I can spend as long as I want in the saddle.

I really liked the Corbin seat I had on my Kawasaki, my wife and I could spend all day on it with no trouble at all.  Corbin does make a solo seat that's designed for early Harleys but it's a bit on the large side (don't know if the pillion and sub-frame would still fit) and I'd have to cobble together a mount for it myself.  The price is well over $300 so it's not something I can easily experiment with.

So what I'd love is a Coobin seat that matches up to the stock mounts and is close to the overall dimensions of the stock seat so I can still fit the pillion on when I want to.

All that said, I know I'm high maintenance in this area :)  I want something very particular that might not be to everyone's liking.  I like my seats very firm.  Most people poke my current seat and give me looks like, "How can you even sit on that?"  Still, if Corbin wants to make it then I'll probably buy it!  I would like their dual seat as well.  My wife still hasn't been on the bike yet, we're new parents and just don't have the time to ride together, but I'm sure that it would be far better than the stock pillion.  Still, I want a solo too that fits well with the bike and works for me when I ride solo.  And if there was a super quick change mechanism so I could swap the two in less than 10 seconds that would be ideal.  I mean, since you're asking ;)

Scott

Tri750

• Big Al
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #8 on: November 18, 2011, 12:24:40 am
Not likely we'll see them re-engineer the seat mount. In the more modern bikes where there is already a quick release latch, then sure, things change in seconds.

I think is a great compliment that Corbin will take the time to make a seat for us.

To me, its gives a message of acceptance and that RE should be taken seriously.
I must say that the success we have seen in California, plus the members of this board worldwide that take the time to help each other has played a role in everyone taking notice of the little bikes from India. 

Current bikes:
'71 BMW R75/5 racer
'73 Kaw Z1 racer
'77 Tri 750 Bonneville
'99 BMW R1100RT

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #9 on: November 18, 2011, 12:29:31 am
Too true!  I think we had to put something like 10 or 20 deposits down for them to work on a seat for the Kawasaki.  I can't blame them, they just want to make sure they cover their investment of time.  The fact that they're doing this for RE says they expect the bike to be around a while and to sell plenty of seats. 

Scott

aikischmid

• Scooter
Reply #10 on: November 18, 2011, 02:04:56 am
Exciting! I'm always searching "Royal Enfield" on google, trying to keep up with the latest RE news, and this is pretty cool! Can't wait to see what Corbin comes up with!
2011 Royal Enfield G5 Classic, British Racing Green

Chiefharlock

• Bulleteer
Reply #11 on: November 20, 2011, 08:06:26 am
Funny.... I emailed these guys about a custom seat for my C5 a couple months back and never heard anything back from them....
Ton Up!

saint45

• Scooter
Reply #12 on: November 22, 2011, 08:52:39 pm
where are they loocated? Cali.?

Tri750

• Big Al
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #13 on: November 22, 2011, 09:00:47 pm
Hollister, Ca.
If you have a G5, and can deliver it to them, they need it for approx. 1 month.
Its less time really, the C5 seat is being worked on now. It may take only 2 weeks.
Give a yell to me if you can.
Al
559-292-2269
Current bikes:
'71 BMW R75/5 racer
'73 Kaw Z1 racer
'77 Tri 750 Bonneville
'99 BMW R1100RT