Author Topic: Newb from UK  (Read 6019 times)

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Reply #30 on: December 13, 2011, 03:58:57 pm
You have my unreserved apology Scott. I've eaten up and down and right across the USA and never had bacon that wasn't cooked to a crisp - and I go out of my way to look for mom & pop joints off the freeway too! That said, I've had some great feeds on such trips. Best omelette I ever had, I think it was called a Denver omelette, was in a dusty old Navaho place in the middle of nowhere - I had a strong impression I was the only non-Native American who'd ever been in there.....or perhaps they just don't talk much.... :-X :-\  Reckless confidence and an english accent generally lead to all sorts of interesting conversations I find, especially out in the sticks.
Anyway, now I know where the good bacon is, next time I'm coming to yours for breakfast at least once. I might even let you talk me into a steak supper.... :D ;)
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 04:02:12 pm by WillW »
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

DaveT

• Scooter
Reply #31 on: December 13, 2011, 06:18:13 pm
.......and nobody has yet mentioned "the diet of champions" which MUST be on a proper full English......Some good thick slices of BLACK PUDDING !!
Delicious !!

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #32 on: December 13, 2011, 06:22:31 pm
mmmmm fried pig blood -   NOW you're talking.  Extra lard on mine please ;D

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #33 on: December 13, 2011, 06:41:49 pm
There tend to be two kinds of extremes in the states: chain restaurants that overcook everything so no one sues them for food poisoning and a new breed or artisan cooks who frown on any steak cooked past medium rare and say hallelujah to the fact that the FDA have finally officially stated it's ok for a pork chop to be a little pink inside.

Most places I go don't over cook bacon, but yeah, people are obsessed with crispy.  I'll never get it.  You're welcome to breakfast at my place if you're ever in the neighborhood.

And many native Americans tend to be quiet folks and keep to themselves in certain areas.  Given their history with Europeans I can't say I blame them.

Scott

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #34 on: December 13, 2011, 06:59:48 pm
"..... Given their history with Europeans I can't say I blame them...."

That was the way my thinking was going at the time. Later on also, at Wounded Knee, when I felt kind of obliged to buy some stuff from a couple of Sioux guys who had a stall. I've rarely felt quite so intrusive and out of place as I did there, being a tourist, taking pictures, them watching me...

I guess the food everywhere is improving - even here. Not been over there since 2007 but I'm getting the itch again so it wont be long. I'm taking my riding gear next time and going to rent an Enfield for some sunny riding round Arizona.  8)

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #35 on: December 13, 2011, 07:22:46 pm
I was prepared for the worst in food when I visited England a few years back.  The smell of full English breakfast that lingered in the air all day where I was staying was a bit much after a few days but everything else I had was quite tasty.

Scott

Lwt Big Cheese

• Grand Gearhead
  • Getting there, slowly...
Reply #36 on: December 13, 2011, 07:59:34 pm
English food has come on no end in the last 30 years or so.

Now we can beat the French for good food.  :D

Funny having a discussion about bacon, I thought it was cheese that was awful over there and the fact it's put on everything!!   :o

;)
No warranty implied or given.
Packed in a protective atmosphere.
May contain nuts.

Desi Bike

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #37 on: December 13, 2011, 10:43:14 pm
The french Canadian dish of Putine is wonderful... Nice hot french fries (chips for Will) and more than a gracious dollup of boiling chicken gravy and a whopping smattering of 'less than half a day old'  white cheddar cheese curds layered throughout the fries and gravy...  melting throughout the concoction from the boiling gravy... Now we're talkin'   haha...  If done properly its like a heart attack on a plate. 
میں نہیں چاہتا کہ ایک اچار
میں صرف اپنی موٹر سائیکل پر سوار کرنا چاہتے ہیں

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #38 on: December 13, 2011, 11:09:06 pm
American cheese, a type of cheese like cheddar, not just from here, is a processed food product and pretty bad, as are the gloppy processed sauces we ladle over everything.  Once again, dig a little deeper and you will find small and large shops hand crafting beautiful cheeses all over the country.  They may not be cheap but they are tasty.  And I'd you have the right connections you may even find soft, young cheeses made with unpasteurizes milk which are illegal to sell here.  No law against giving them away so it pays to know the right people.

Scott

Lwt Big Cheese

• Grand Gearhead
  • Getting there, slowly...
Reply #39 on: December 14, 2011, 10:29:21 am
No unpasteurised!!!

A friend of mine has just opened a cheese shop!!! :)
No warranty implied or given.
Packed in a protective atmosphere.
May contain nuts.