Author Topic: room for 2? should I buy a Triumph? Basic Royal Enfield questions for new rider  (Read 18909 times)

valax202

• Scooter
Hey CHarte---Where did you buy the RE? Was it at the dealership in Richmond? Also, where do you get it serviced?

charte

• Bulleteer
  • Whether you think you can or can't, you're right.
Buddy, I got both mine from a farm in Uttar Predesh in India.  Both (63 and 69) are Redditch manufactured, but assembiled in India.

They were disasters when I got them,and I had them completely restored.

I was living in India, and brought them back with me.  While over there, I also had a modern RE with the 500  AVL.  Great bike!  Took it to 18500 feet in the Himalayas.

I have been doing my own work.  I had a valve problem recently, and my neighbor who is an old school moto guy did all cutting,etc.  Good to know people who know what they are doing.

I have met some of the Richmond guys, and they seem like great guys.  Believe it or not, if you're willing to put in some time, you can take the knowledge base from this site and work through issues.  No kidding, this community will make sure you succeed as long as you are also willing to put in the effort.  You can bank on that.

Rode lots of errands today on the 69........Home Depot twice, Fair Oaks mall, etc.  Was a great day to ride.  65 degrees here in the DC area.
1969 Bullet
2007 Triumph Rocket III Classic
2017 Moto Guzzi VII Special

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Remember the c5 is a much smaller framed bike. At your size you may look like a Russian circus bear on it.
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
I ride with a friend who is well over 6' and 230 pounds. He looks fine on the bike and loves it.
As for freeway riding, I do it quite often if I've got to go a long way (50 miles or so) and am in somewhat of a hurry.  I cruise between 60-70 depending in the traffic. My fuel consumption drops to about 68mpg when I do this. Trucks haven't really been much of an issue except when the road is taken up by them and I'm not real hot about splitting lanes between a bunch of them. Not that I haven't. I don't particularly find the Enfield any more susceptible to their turbulence than any other bike I've owned, but I've never owned anything that weighed over 550 pounds. Basically, I find the bike a quite capable freeway runner, but just stick with the slower lanes, unless they are all slow, then it doesn't matter. I have 5000 miles on my 2011 Classic G5 and have pretty much ridden it on any paved road you can imagine, and a few dirt ones, from sea level to 8000 feet. It has performed very well in all occasions, certainly within the expectations one should have for the bike. If you ride it within it's capabilities, you will love it. If you expect to grab a handful of throttle and get to 100mph in a blink of the eye, you will be rather disappointed.  People have ridden bikes in this performance category for 80 years and were always happy with them and they will get you to some amazing places. the RE has so much to offer in the sheer joy of riding that is not shared by other motorcycles, it's just unexplainable. As the old saw goes, "If you have to ask, you'd never understand."
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
I said C5, it is smaller. G5 is the old larger frame with the uce motor.
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

charte

• Bulleteer
Valax, hope you got a good flavor for the Bullet option.

When you get back to DC and want someone to ride with, let me know.  Drop me a line and we can head out.

Last thought for you.........attached is a pic of my restored 69.
1969 Bullet

bullethead63

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Run what ya brung..." Paul Saint Clair
Really nice,Brother...my friend Ron does a lot of business in India,and if I ever get the chance to go with him,it'll be REALLY hard not to bring one home! :P
1959 Royal Enfield/Indian Chief 700~(RED)~1999 Bullet Deluxe 500 KS~(BLUE)~2000  Bullet Classic 500 KS~(WHITE)~2002 Bullet Classic 500 ES~(GREEN)~1973 Triumph Tiger 750~(BLUE & WHITE)~Ride-Wrench-Repeat~your results may vary~void where prohibited by law~batteries not included~some assembly required~

icarus

• Bulleteer
Yes 2 is the perfect number.  The Triumph T100 has all the classic lines I like, great for riding 2 up.  The RE is a fun bike both are easy to maintain. The RE seems easier to ride in low speed traffic around town, the Triumph has a higher cruising speed.  Both have been pretty much trouble free and don't leak oil.       

+1

Start with buying an Enfield and add a Bonnie later like I did.  :)

1947 FN M13
1997 Honda Africa Twin XRV750
2007 Indian Bullet Electra 5S  which I travelled with in Nepal and India.
2008 Honda Transalp XL700V
2009 Triumph Bonneville T100

TWinOKC

• Grand Gearhead
I said C5, it is smaller. G5 is the old larger frame with the uce motor.

Hmmm?  Maybe I am missing something.  The looks of the C5 and G5 is a little different but their physical size/wheel base/ground clearance/weight/seat height is pretty close, maybe an inch or 2 difference.  The biggest difference IMO is the wheel size and the seat.

2010  C5  Teal
2011 Triumph Bonneville T100
2015 Scrambler Ducati

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
A Honda Gold Wing  is made for two on the Interstate.

I hear they are very dependable too.
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

iowarider

• Bulleteer
A Honda Gold Wing  is made for two on the Interstate.

I hear they are very dependable too.

That is true, if you don't mind riding the "lazy boy rocker" of touring. I'm 56, but still don't feel olde enough to go for the wing.  ::)
82, Honda CX500
82  Honda GL500
2004 Honda Shadow Spirit 750

charte

• Bulleteer
I think at the end of the day, there is a compelling arguement to own at least 2 bikes ;-)

Somehow, I even convinced my wife for 3 (two of which are Bullets).
1969 Bullet

iowarider

• Bulleteer
WOW, Oh wise and enlightened one. I beg of you tell us your great and grand words so we might also convince our wives of this action!!!

In other words, YOU DA MAN
82, Honda CX500
82  Honda GL500
2004 Honda Shadow Spirit 750

charte

• Bulleteer
Hey thanks, but it's not as glamorous as you might think.  There are 2 key points, one philosophical, and 1 practical.

1)  She's aware that the sum of one's vices never changes, just the composition thereof.  Better to have cool toys than go sideways some other direction.
2)  I don't have a car....deal is that I ride bikes, so no car.  Gets cold in the winter, but what the heck!  I borrow my wife's SUV when I need ones, e.g. Home Depot runs and carrying fishing gear.

I have been lobbying for a new Jeep Unlimited though ;-)  Maybe next year.
1969 Bullet

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22

I have been lobbying for a new Jeep Unlimited though ;-)  Maybe next year.

Thats funny,  I have been pining for one of those to replace my truck,  the only issue is that the truck just sits there for weeks at a time, only use it if it rains or every 2 weeks just to keep the battery up.  Can't justify the cost of an unlimited for it to just sit.   Maybe in a few years when I can pick up a ragged out one for under 5k or so....
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *