Author Topic: Chain adjust and lock nut  (Read 1266 times)

greggers

• Bulleteer
on: November 13, 2011, 11:38:30 pm
A few weeks ago I noticed some slight clanging noises coming from the chain when I was  walking my G5 into the garage, did some checking and it looks like the alignment is off and the chain could do with a little more slack. Based on some posts here I decided to get the chain adjusters from Nfield, and today I was going to install them. It seems fairly straightforward where they go, though I'm not entirely clear which bits of hardware go back on when they are on (just replace the snail cams and reuse the lock and castle nuts?)

But before I got that far, ran into an issue with the large lock nut. I picked up a 30mm wrench (or spanner :P) as that sounded like the best tool for the job from other posts, but I can't for the life of me see how to finagle it in there to get leverage on the nut! I'm just working with the bike on the center stand, I guess I might be able to get it in from underneath if I raised the bike up a foot or so, but as it stands the wrench is too damn long. Any tips? Should I go find a big 30mm socket after all?

Thanks,
Greg

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #1 on: November 13, 2011, 11:42:05 pm
You should only need to loosen the outer axle nut and the 18 mm anchor for the brake to adjust the chain.

Scott
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 04:44:35 am by Ducati Scotty »

greggers

• Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: November 14, 2011, 12:14:15 am
So I just see 2 nuts: the smaller castle nut with the split pin which I just removed, and the larger 30mm nut that I can't seem to get at well. Did something fall off?

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #3 on: November 14, 2011, 12:18:08 am
I had to loosen four nuts in order to adjust the chain on my UCE G5.
The castle nut, the large nut that holds the snail tight,  the brake backing plate nut and the brake rod adjusting nut all needed to be loose in order to move the adjusting snails.

If I were to want to replace those snails I don't know how I could do it without loosening all of these nuts.

As for the large 30mm nut, I bought a big socket to loosen/tighten it from Harbor Freight.
Sears wanted both legs and one arm for their 30mm socket. :(
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

jartist

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: November 14, 2011, 03:42:22 am
If you're removing the wheel all you need to remove is the outer castle nut but if you want to adjust the chain you have to loosen all three nuts.  I used a big Crescent brand nut rounding tool.  It would be better to use a socket, which as it happens, is on my Christmas wish-list this year. 

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #5 on: November 14, 2011, 04:45:03 am
Oops, I stand corrected.  Sorry, wasn't thinking.

Scott