Author Topic: Review of Desert Storm with Straight Front Fork  (Read 6489 times)

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
on: November 09, 2011, 09:27:05 pm
Desert Storm and Chrome versions were introduced recently in US.  They were also introduced in India but with straight front fork as was mentioned by BRADEY in another post.  The 500cc engine of Indian bikes are twinspark without oxygen sensor.  It comes with twin horns to scare the traffic off the road  :D !

Here are a couple of recent review of these bikes -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3AO9lg_9cQ&feature=related

Actual riding in this link -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8ZPBngA_AE&feature=relmfu
« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 10:22:43 pm by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: November 09, 2011, 09:47:03 pm
Desert Storm and Chrome versions were introduced recently in US.  They were also introduced in India but with straight front fork as was mentioned by BRADEY in another post.  The 500cc engine of Indian bikes are twinspark without oxygen sensor.  It comes with twin horns to scare the traffic off the road  :D !

Here is a recent review of these bikes -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3AO9lg_9cQ&feature=related

Straight Fork and longer swingarm. Should be interesting.

They have interesting headlights.

The final color is more like German WWII dunkelbraun than a desert sand.

Chiefharlock

• Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: November 10, 2011, 01:08:26 am
The forks on my C5 aren't straight? how much longer is the swingarm I wonder.  I wonder what the extra bit of length accomplishes...
Ton Up!

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #3 on: November 10, 2011, 01:27:57 am
Looks like they snuck the fork in on us ..... I'm not convinced that it would be better .... it obviously tightens up the rake a bit - and there was enough howling over twitchy handling ..... I believe I may prefer the extra wheelbase and longer rake (as well as better trail angle!) that the Bullet-style fork gives .....
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #4 on: November 10, 2011, 04:07:57 am
Anyone else notice the black chrome C5 in the background just before 4:00?

Scott

FiRE Comms

• Bulleteer
  • '11 C5
Reply #5 on: November 10, 2011, 03:17:35 pm
our host also shows the black/ chrome...  guess it's not the limited run we all thought it was going to be...

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/models/chrome-c5.html
Chris

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: November 10, 2011, 05:21:53 pm
Moving the axle back to the center of the forks doesn't change the rake, that's a function of the steering head angle. The trail actually increases by moving the wheel back. He also said the offset has been taken off, which move the fork tubes back in relationship to the steering head. This also move the wheel back adding even more trail. The should be a bit more stable with the axle moved back. Lengthening the swing arm would also tend to increase stability by slowing down the steering.
Basically the cumulative effect on the bike would be to make the steering a bit slower and heavier.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Alan LaRue

• Bulleteer
  • Commute Time is Not the Worst Time of Day
Reply #7 on: November 10, 2011, 09:08:30 pm
The interviewee says it will only cruise comfortably at 100kph. That's 62mph. Um, what?
Chinese food beats hopes and dreams any day.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #8 on: November 10, 2011, 09:15:03 pm
He also complained about footpeg vibration at that speed.  I'm guessing it's a new bike and not broken in yet so very vibey.

Scott

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: November 11, 2011, 12:13:44 am
My G5 vibrates at 62. It's mostly in the seat. I think the fender under the seat is getting a bit of sympathetic motion there. If I don't want to feel the vibes, I slow down to 60 or speed up to 66. Or just let my butt deal with it. It's not putting anything to sleep as have other bikes. No biggy
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

bittercrick

• Bulleteer
  • C-5 Chrome
Reply #10 on: November 11, 2011, 04:06:05 am
Yup I knew it.nice that there working on the wobble problem kudos to RE engineers.bittercrick
bikes Triumph 06 T100 - 01 Triumph Adventurer - RE C-5 chrome -78 Honda GL1000-83 Honda CB1100F

BRADEY

• Grease Monkey
Reply #11 on: November 11, 2011, 06:50:52 am
Another forum member SSR has measured both the older and new swing arms and he finds that there is no change whatsoever. How will this new set up (fork offset removed and swing arm length remaining same) behave at low and high speeds, any ideas ???

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: November 11, 2011, 03:08:16 pm
  If they did lengthen the swing arm, I would think you would see a difference in the fender/fender stay arrangement. Both would be longer, if they are using the same frame. It appears the same to me? Unless they moved the pivot point of the swing arm more towards the front of the bike.....which wouldn't make sense ?
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #13 on: November 11, 2011, 03:48:39 pm
Yup I knew it.nice that there working on the wobble problem kudos to RE engineers.bittercrick

You mean kudos to that gashousegorilla! He did as much research on that as I did .... and we came with the solution! The man is truly dedicated .... !

As for the swingarm length? It was made 50mm (about two inches) longer for the EFI bikes from the beginning. I believe this was facilitated by the shorter, farther forward engine, rather than making the frame longer. Getting the pivot point closer to the CG is always good ......

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: November 11, 2011, 04:53:09 pm
You mean kudos to that gashousegorilla! He did as much research on that as I did .... and we came with the solution! The man is truly dedicated .... !

As for the swingarm length? It was made 50mm (about two inches) longer for the EFI bikes from the beginning. I believe this was facilitated by the shorter, farther forward engine, rather than making the frame longer. Getting the pivot point closer to the CG is always good ......

;)...........Yeah, I'm seeing what your meaning. You wouldn't want a big heavy mass..wheel...chain... sprocket....etc  pivoting way out from the CG. It would tend to upset things. IF this is a longer swing arm...I'm thinking they would have had to move those pivot point gussets , on the lower hoops, forward ...... And with the added length of the swing arm...Was there any reinforcing?
 And yeah, with the front axle moved from leading to back under center should slow the steering.....Which I think a 19" wheel takes care of.But what of the wheel base?  It should be shortened now ?  Interesting stuff though. And it is good they are working on it.

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #15 on: November 11, 2011, 05:08:24 pm
If a man wants a case study in good handling geometry - look at a new moto-X bike .... and a new sport bike. The handling characteristics USED to be on a divergent path ..... but right is freekin' RIGHT and interestingly enough - the two kinds of bikes now share virtually the SAME gross geometry! Go figger ..... and we though hookin' the swingarm pivot ot he bottom of the motor was queer about 30 years ago ..... Heeheehee!  ::)

Desi Bike

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: November 11, 2011, 09:58:27 pm
I dont like the big notched fuel tank.
میں نہیں چاہتا کہ ایک اچار
میں صرف اپنی موٹر سائیکل پر سوار کرنا چاہتے ہیں

Desi Bike

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: November 11, 2011, 10:10:20 pm
Doh... never mind. I just looked at the other C bikes.. its the same tank. Just my Chrome doesnt have the big notch.     

I'll go back into my corner...   
میں نہیں چاہتا کہ ایک اچار
میں صرف اپنی موٹر سائیکل پر سوار کرنا چاہتے ہیں

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: November 11, 2011, 10:41:31 pm
  Ah...Huh....Ah...Huh.  Long massive alloy single sided Schwing arm......Mono shock.. Less frame..... short wheel base.....almost no rake.....seat out there in space , without all that heavy ass steel behind and  below it to catch wind.....fat tires.......larger CONTACT patch....beefy upside down forks to get the weight down on the front wheel..... integrated stabilizer....lighter...faster....handles great....good high speed stability.......... etc.....etc...etc. It works.......
 BUT....we wouldn't our Enfields to look like something like that !!! :D :D ;)  You know, just what it  takes to keep it looking right .....you know......with the throttle wide open ::)

If a man wants a case study in good handling geometry - look at a new moto-X bike .... and a new sport bike. The handling characteristics USED to be on a divergent path ..... but right is freekin' RIGHT and interestingly enough - the two kinds of bikes now share virtually the SAME gross geometry! Go figger ..... and we though hookin' the swingarm pivot ot he bottom of the motor was queer about 30 years ago ..... Heeheehee!  ::)

bittercrick

• Bulleteer
  • C-5 Chrome
Reply #19 on: November 12, 2011, 01:25:43 pm
WOW  +1
bikes Triumph 06 T100 - 01 Triumph Adventurer - RE C-5 chrome -78 Honda GL1000-83 Honda CB1100F

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: November 12, 2011, 07:55:42 pm
WOW  +1

He..he..he. That's just me being a smart Ass bittercrick.  I would reserve that +1  for  scooterbob....That boy knows his Sh&!.  And I don't know why some.....one  >:( would get annoyed about him INVITING them to contact him off line.  A more friendly, patient and  knowledgeable person you don;t often come across. Quite willing to share and help......Ya know? That cat should teach!  ;D

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #21 on: November 12, 2011, 10:14:48 pm
...And I don't know why some.....one   >:(  would get annoyed about him INVITING them to contact him off line. ..

Perhaps it is because if SB answered the question here on the forum where the rest of us could learn from his answer, some of us feel his answers and insight would benefit all of our members.

Sure, I like to shoot the sh&! with the others and to read all of the posts written by our members but I also want to learn as much as possible about Royal Enfields and the problems they have.
More importantly, I want to learn how to fix or head off problems on my RE before they become realities.

By answering questions or giving helpful information privately in a one on one, off line way, SB is failing to give the rest of us the knowledge and wisdom we are looking for.

Although some of his thoughts about Royal Enfield or their designs may not be positive and some of them might be downright negative I suspect they would not be edited or deleted by our host.  I have noticed that Keven Mahoney wishes to learn about design problems and I have read more than once that he often passes this information on to the Royal Enfield folks in India so that they can learn and understand the problems we, in the United States are having.
By doing this, they can improve the design and make their motorcycles an even better value for us all.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #22 on: November 12, 2011, 11:12:35 pm

By answering questions or giving helpful information privately in a one on one, off line way, SB is failing to give the rest of us the knowledge and wisdom we are looking for.

By answering questions privately, I'm assuring that the issue will be understood, one on one. Some will muddy the waters - others will just wade in and try to grab YOUR fish .... I ain't about all that. The info is good - and it's for free. Email me. Git Sum! You'd think CMW would post some good info on here once in a while - after all THEY go to the Factory elebendy times a year and all - I'm just a poor, broke Porsche mechanic. .... BTW - I LOVE the Enfield bikes - and I have wholly embraced the wonderful engineers doing what they do in the way they do it. After dealing with them for three years I got to know a few of them. You'll not find a better bunch of hard working fellows on the Planet.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: November 13, 2011, 04:50:30 am
I have been on the receiving end of SB's one-on-ones. It was highly appreciated because he has dug into realm of the bikes that I haven't bothered to get to yet. His diligent work gives me the opportunity to directly to the problem without have to troubleshoot every little niggle. I highly appreciate his expertise and assistance. I would gladly contact him for any insightful info I'm looking for. He usually has it.
From me, to SB, Many thanks, guy! :)
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #24 on: November 13, 2011, 02:41:41 pm
Thanks so much for that, Barenekd! As I told YOU - and all the others that have emailed me - I'm all about the ride. If I can help a fellow rider - I will. No one should have any less fun on an Enfield than ME!

Okie Enfield

• Grease Monkey
  • RED 2010 C5
Reply #25 on: January 04, 2012, 09:40:21 pm
I agree with gashouse...ScooterBob is the sh&! ....wait ...phonetically that would be SH and AND...nope thats not right... howsabout SB is the SH@!... ;D