Author Topic: Remove catch-can form an Electra  (Read 32613 times)

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #90 on: September 20, 2013, 09:22:44 pm

Well I did try out a lot of jet options with the stock BS29, almost so repetitively that I could get the carb off , jet change and back on in about 30min.
But once I installed the BS32, just did one change of plonking in a 17.5 pilot and 120 main. This set up did work well for a couple of months. Not sure what happened after that.
So will have to see if the current setting work right.

I forgot you switched carbs.

I haven't been able to post anything this afternoon for some reason. This is one more try in a series of many one more trys.

(Well, this one finally worked).    :)
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

Buckeroo

• Bulleteer
Reply #91 on: September 21, 2013, 02:52:25 am
Hello Machismo,
I have decided to keep the catch can design except for the hose to the oil air cleaner.  I will build a larger catch can which will be placed where my current battery sits so I can get at it easier.  I will run all the hoses the same way except I will leave some space at the bottom of the larger can for the mayo to collect.  Oil overflow will flow back into Timing Case.  I'm not big on blowing it out.  There are a lot of folks adding catch cans to modern machines so there must be something to it.  I like the idea of separating out the mayo simply because my riding does involve a lot of short trips and the mayo will happen.  I will place a breather on top of the new can.

As for the other problems you are getting some good advice from the experts.
This bike was stored for 3.5 years.  It had fallen on its side for awhile. I claimed it about a year and a half ago. Thus the low miles and inexperienced owner.
2008 Bullet Electra Classic 500
Classic Frame and AVL motor
Electric Start
Electronic Ignition
5 speed
CV Carb

Machismo

• Scooter
Reply #92 on: September 21, 2013, 01:22:48 pm
Hello Machismo,
I have decided to keep the catch can design except for the hose to the oil air cleaner.  I will build a larger catch can which will be placed where my current battery sits so I can get at it easier.  I will run all the hoses the same way except I will leave some space at the bottom of the larger can for the mayo to collect.  Oil overflow will flow back into Timing Case.  I'm not big on blowing it out.  There are a lot of folks adding catch cans to modern machines so there must be something to it.  I like the idea of separating out the mayo simply because my riding does involve a lot of short trips and the mayo will happen.  I will place a breather on top of the new can.

As for the other problems you are getting some good advice from the experts.
Hi there Buckeroo.
Interesting to hear that folks modern machines going for teh catch can. Wonder why!
About the recycling the oil back to the timing case - I got a bad feeling of having some blobs or just sludgy oil getting into the oil tank.
I have decided to keep the stock set up except one change of having the catch can-timing chest line running open and primary line blocked.

I forgot you switched carbs.

I haven't been able to post anything this afternoon for some reason. This is one more try in a series of many one more trys.

(Well, this one finally worked).    :)
Yes the change of carb worked well for me. More mpg per gallons now and good throttle response as well. The old one must have been really worn out.
Saw some pics of your bike, looks just awesome! Hope you will complete the run-in soon and hit the freeways :)

Buckeroo

• Bulleteer
Reply #93 on: September 26, 2013, 10:27:13 pm
It's all an experiment.  I'm planning on leaving some adjustment of the pipe draining back into the timing case.  I don't want gunk going back in there either.  However, as I understand this process, I want the excess, if any, to go back into the engine, not on the ground.  With an oil change every 1500 miles, I'm not expecting any blobs to be there very long.  I am surprised that the drain back to the timing case from the OEM can drains from the bottom of the can.  I will not let it do that.
Hi there Buckeroo.
Interesting to hear that folks modern machines going for teh catch can. Wonder why!
About the recycling the oil back to the timing case - I got a bad feeling of having some blobs or just sludgy oil getting into the oil tank.
This bike was stored for 3.5 years.  It had fallen on its side for awhile. I claimed it about a year and a half ago. Thus the low miles and inexperienced owner.
Electric Start
Electronic Ignition
5 speed
CV Carb

Machismo

• Scooter
Reply #94 on: September 28, 2013, 05:52:44 pm
I don't want gunk going back in there either.  However, as I understand this process, I want the excess, if any, to go back into the engine, not on the ground.  With an oil change every 1500 miles, I'm not expecting any blobs to be there very long.  I am surprised that the drain back to the timing case from the OEM can drains from the bottom of the can.  I will not let it do that.
Right!
The precise reason why I have let the catch can-timing chest line hanging open, near the side stand. I would not want that mayo back in the engine.

Buckeroo

• Bulleteer
Reply #95 on: October 01, 2013, 06:16:34 pm
I don't like it under the bike or on the bike either.  I have enough problems with the chain and leaks out of some gaskets.
Right!
The precise reason why I have let the catch can-timing chest line hanging open, near the side stand. I would not want that mayo back in the engine.
Electric Start
Electronic Ignition
5 speed
CV Carb

St1g9203

• Scooter
  • Ride hard.. thump harder
Reply #96 on: October 21, 2013, 08:25:45 pm
I had followed Tim's instructions of re-routing the crank case hose to the catch-can, and that had solved the issue, but yesterday after a 100 mile 60Mph ride, the bike spewed oil all over the air-filter box.

and since then i have been reading and researching a way to fix this.
Ride hard.. thump harder

DanB

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #97 on: October 22, 2013, 05:15:48 am
I had followed Tim's instructions of re-routing the crank case hose to the catch-can, and that had solved the issue, but yesterday after a 100 mile 60Mph ride, the bike spewed oil all over the air-filter box.

Are you still using the can?  I don't know of the 'fix' but I'm doing the same as you and still get the mayo. Especially at higher speeds. All I did has block off the timing case line at the case and used that line as a drain method to empty the can from time to time. I put a plumbers valve at the end of that line and then drain it about once a month.
Suppose I were an idiot, and suppose I were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. ... Mark Twain
2006 AVL Electra

St1g9203

• Scooter
Reply #98 on: October 22, 2013, 05:55:49 am
Are you still using the can?  I don't know of the 'fix' but I'm doing the same as you and still get the mayo. Especially at higher speeds. All I did has block off the timing case line at the case and used that line as a drain method to empty the can from time to time. I put a plumbers valve at the end of that line and then drain it about once a month.

Yes. i am still using the can. The only change that i had done appart from the above was to remove the redundant PAV breather line from airfilter box. Now i think thats what causing this. As with high speed run, the carb causes a low pressure in the airfilter and oil gets sucked in. I just removed the hose connecting the catch can and airfilter. (it was full of mayo). I am gonna ride to work now, and will report back in the evening.

cheers,.
Adi
Ride hard.. thump harder

St1g9203

• Scooter
Reply #99 on: November 14, 2013, 02:40:37 pm

Dan, its been 3 weeks since i removed the the pipe that goes from catch can to the airfilter and routed it to the chain. The temperature is hovering around 65 to 70 here, and voila.. no Mayo in the airfilter for me.
Ride hard.. thump harder

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #100 on: November 14, 2013, 03:58:12 pm
I put a plumbers valve at the end of that line and then drain it about once a month.

Shouldn't that hose be open to the air & what's a "plumber's valve" ?
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

DanB

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #101 on: November 14, 2013, 05:25:24 pm
Shouldn't that hose be open to the air & what's a "plumber's valve" ?

Hi 2CV, what i call a plumbers valve is actually an instrumentation needle valve that I picked up at True Value for a 1 or 2.  Looks a little like this, but it's inline: http://www.mscdirect.com/product/01601756?fromRR=Y

The are 3 hoses at the bottom of the can and 1 at the top. The top goes to open air (out the back or via the air box, which is stock).  Out of the bottom: 1 goes to the crank, which is the largest; 2nd goes to the primary; 3rd is the return line back to the timing case.  Its this last line I put the valve on and use it as a drain.  I plugged the timing case port.  I dont have a pic of it, but I can do if you'd like, later when Im off work. 
Suppose I were an idiot, and suppose I were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. ... Mark Twain
2006 AVL Electra

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #102 on: November 14, 2013, 07:07:28 pm
Hi 2CV, what i call a plumbers valve is actually an instrumentation needle valve that I picked up at True Value for a 1 or 2.  Looks a little like this, but it's inline: http://www.mscdirect.com/product/01601756?fromRR=Y

The are 3 hoses at the bottom of the can and 1 at the top. The top goes to open air (out the back or via the air box, which is stock).  Out of the bottom: 1 goes to the crank, which is the largest; 2nd goes to the primary; 3rd is the return line back to the timing case.  Its this last line I put the valve on and use it as a drain.  I plugged the timing case port.  I dont have a pic of it, but I can do if you'd like, later when Im off work.

I unnerstand now. No picture necessary. I've done similar with mine except can is gone, CC breather hose with duck bill goes under the bike, timing case closed off. Nothing to speak of ever comes out of the duckbill. I proved this by having it exit into the right hand case for quite a few miles. My battery is in there now so the vent just goes under the bike with a big loop.