Author Topic: oil puke at 110 kph (68 mph)  (Read 10938 times)

Chiefharlock

• Bulleteer
Reply #15 on: November 08, 2011, 12:56:01 pm
Street,

Be VERY careful with trouble shooting the issue when messing with the amount of oil in the system.  Your engine has a warranty on it, but if you run that mill without enough oil and you make it grenade on you, you may be up the creek without a paddle. 

When you changed your oil did you also remove the pick up tube screen to clean that out?

Oil exiting the case at higher RPMs is very indicative of oil pressure issues not just an issue with improper oil level.

As a maintenance guy, the first thing I would check would be for excessive pressure in the oil system somewhere.  Baring that I would look for a defective seal or sealing surface.

You said that your airfilter was completely soaked in oil.  You would have to be dealing with so excessive crank case pressure or a waaaay overfilled engine to be getting enough oil in your airbox through your vent tube to soack your airfilter.

Ton Up!

Maturin

• Grand Gearhead
  • My Precious
Reply #16 on: November 08, 2011, 01:18:58 pm
It's remarkable that the motor doesn't drain as much oil as it should. Usually between 0.5 and 1 L stays inside it and don't come out. That would mean that Street's mill is short on oil at least half a liter, whereas the sightglass shows max. I think there must be something wrong with the circuit, but it seems to run fine as long you just keep it relaxed. Very odd...
2010 G5
A Garage without a Bullet is a empty, barren hole.

When acellerating the tears of emotion must flow off horizontally to the ears.
Walter Röhrl

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #17 on: November 08, 2011, 01:26:20 pm
Where exactly does the UCE mill vent itself? I would have thought they moved it to the valvecover where just about every other engine in the world has it. No? If it is at the valvecover and you are losing that much oil, it's blowby , plain and simple, and sounds like warrenty work to me.
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

street

• Scooter
Reply #18 on: November 08, 2011, 02:34:57 pm
Street,

Be VERY careful with trouble shooting the issue when messing with the amount of oil in the system.  Your engine has a warranty on it, but if you run that mill without enough oil and you make it grenade on you, you may be up the creek without a paddle. 

When you changed your oil did you also remove the pick up tube screen to clean that out?

Oil exiting the case at higher RPMs is very indicative of oil pressure issues not just an issue with improper oil level.

As a maintenance guy, the first thing I would check would be for excessive pressure in the oil system somewhere.  Baring that I would look for a defective seal or sealing surface.

You said that your airfilter was completely soaked in oil.  You would have to be dealing with so excessive crank case pressure or a waaaay overfilled engine to be getting enough oil in your airbox through your vent tube to soack your airfilter.

Thanks for the feedback Chief.
Yeah I'm cleaning the tube screen at every oil change, aside from the first change that screen has been clean each time I took it out to inspect, but cleaned it anyway.

With 1.45L of oil in her the blow out through the air filter is substantial.
The first time it happened, I took it on the highway for one intersection, just enough to get it over 100kph for a couple seconds, and then pulled off the highway.

When I pulled off to stop at a light the rear end was soaked in oil, I pulled over and watched the bike drip a large puddle of oil on the ground within seconds.
All coming out of the airbox.

I figured it was too much oil and reduced to 1.4L, but still seems to do it.

Same thing happened this weekend on Sunday, with a fresh oil change in the morning and 1.4L in her.

I have taken it up to 100kph on a few occasions and held it at that speed for a few miles, and not had a problem, but didn't stop or slow down much and just kept cruising at 80kph without issue.

It could be may perspective is skewed, but it seems coincidental that it always happens when I take it up to 110kph for a short amount of time and then fairly quickly am coming down in speed, due to traffic or getting off speed way.
At that point I see all the oil, which wasn't there while riding with me quickly looking down on occasion to check.

street

• Scooter
Reply #19 on: November 08, 2011, 02:40:22 pm
It's remarkable that the motor doesn't drain as much oil as it should. Usually between 0.5 and 1 L stays inside it and don't come out. That would mean that Street's mill is short on oil at least half a liter, whereas the sightglass shows max. I think there must be something wrong with the circuit, but it seems to run fine as long you just keep it relaxed. Very odd...

Thanks Maturin.

When I drain the bike the oil is always hot and I do the whole shake and tilt and wobble to try and get every ounce out.
And unless she puked recently the amount is always exactly what I put in, 1.4L.

I carefully measure what I drain out to see if I'm losing oil.

I also measure what I put in with a proper measuring container.

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #20 on: November 09, 2011, 01:38:34 am
Where exactly does the UCE mill vent itself? I would have thought they moved it to the valvecover where just about every other engine in the world has it. No? If it is at the valvecover and you are losing that much oil, it's blowby , plain and simple, and sounds like warrenty work to me.

Not so fast, Weedhopper .... while it may be warranty work, one must take into consideration the India engineering first, OK? The engine vents into a labyrinth chamber in the rear of the right side engine case. Tests showed that this was perfectly adequate for the ventilation under normal conditions and was accepted engineering practice. Normal conditions in India - dirt road, 40kph, wife and two kids and a months worth of groceries on the bike. Accepted engineering practice ..... in England, 50 years ago on the Redditch bikes! The boys over there just won't change something for the sake of change - or because everyone ELSE does it. They just don't understand riding the bike at sonic speeds for an hour ...... really! I've found that the TYPE of oil that one uses is often the culprit in the oil spitting after the oil level is adjusted to the bottom of the glass. Certain oils are quite apt to foam - and not separate in the baffle. The foam then gets pushed right on out into the breather. The REALLY good solution would be to put the breather hose up under the seat with another separator baffle (super coarse stainless steel wool comes to mind) outside the engine to re-condense the oil into droplets that are heavy enough to fall back into the engine ........ or you could get the wife and kids and find a rutted up dirt road ....  ;)
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #21 on: November 09, 2011, 01:50:49 am
ScooterBob:  You bring up an interesting point that hasn't been mentioned.

Exactly what brand of oil and what  is the weight of the oil the bike being filled with?

Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #22 on: November 09, 2011, 12:14:32 pm

Exactly what brand of oil and what  is the weight of the oil the bike being filled with?

The factory uses some sort of special-made glop ..... I like the Klotz oils - they absolutely DO NOT foam .... they were designed to keep good pressure in a Top Fuel car under extreme speeds and loads. I've NEVER had the stuff come out of an Enfield once the oil level is right - and that's trying to pop one like a champagne cork, too ........ Cheap shit oils will turn into shaving cream in the sump .......

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #23 on: November 09, 2011, 01:23:31 pm
Wow Bob, hasn't that excuse been used allready for the iron engines? Well, whatever, I'm glad I kept my "piece of junk" 05. ;)
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

ROVERMAN

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: November 09, 2011, 01:54:51 pm
Alright guy's, assuming, (we all know what that means!) that the correct oil at the correct level is being used, it just has to be lack of crankcase ventilation. 60mph and slam the throttle closed creates some prodigious  vacuum. :o :o :o.
My 10 cents worth.

street

• Scooter
Reply #25 on: November 09, 2011, 03:04:27 pm

I use Motul 5100 Ester 4T 15w50 semi synth.

It' pretty much what the manual calls for.
There are some others on this forum who use the same oil in their UCE, from what I've read.

I know some oils can foam up pretty bad and expand dramatically in volume.
Had my old shovel really hot once and took a look at the oil in the tank to discover it looked like brown whipped cream.

Not sure if this oil foams up, can't tell.
I know that when it pukes it looks exactly like clean oil out of the can.
But it may have cooled by that point, when it actually leaves the airbox.

street

• Scooter
Reply #26 on: November 09, 2011, 03:09:20 pm
Alright guy's, assuming, (we all know what that means!) that the correct oil at the correct level is being used, it just has to be lack of crankcase ventilation. 60mph and slam the throttle closed creates some prodigious  vacuum. :o :o :o.
My 10 cents worth.

Yeah, I think if oil level turns out to not be issue, it may be something as simple as a plugged vent hole.
If so where would that vent hole be?

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #27 on: November 09, 2011, 08:39:32 pm
The engine vents out of the hole on the timing chest cover just above the countershaft sprocket, the one with the hose to the air cleaner. There appears to be, in the manual a couple of holes from the crankcase into the chamber where the  breather tube is that would probably reducing the pulsating a bit. Have you put any air pressure into the spark plug hole to see if your rings are leaking compression? You would hear the air blowing out of that port if it's leaking by the rings. The breather routing is quite simple looking and I can't see anything else that would clog up and causing crankcase pressure, unless possibly a hole was left unmachined in the crankcases. I removed the hose to the air cleaner box and just ran a long hose over the top under the seat and it just blows out just past the shocks. I haven't had the slightest problem with it. Actually it stays very clean with no oil residue at all on the fender. I also can't figure why you're not draining the oil out completely, but that brings back the theory of an undrilled port. My bike will drain very close to two full quarts.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

street

• Scooter
Reply #28 on: November 09, 2011, 11:43:40 pm
The engine vents out of the hole on the timing chest cover just above the countershaft sprocket, the one with the hose to the air cleaner. There appears to be, in the manual a couple of holes from the crankcase into the chamber where the  breather tube is that would probably reducing the pulsating a bit. Have you put any air pressure into the spark plug hole to see if your rings are leaking compression? You would hear the air blowing out of that port if it's leaking by the rings. The breather routing is quite simple looking and I can't see anything else that would clog up and causing crankcase pressure, unless possibly a hole was left unmachined in the crankcases. I removed the hose to the air cleaner box and just ran a long hose over the top under the seat and it just blows out just past the shocks. I haven't had the slightest problem with it. Actually it stays very clean with no oil residue at all on the fender. I also can't figure why you're not draining the oil out completely, but that brings back the theory of an undrilled port. My bike will drain very close to two full quarts.
Bare

Thanks Bare.

No haven't done the forced air test in spark plug hole.

The breather bolt and tube itself is most likely not plugged and it seems to drain oil pretty well, based on the level of discharged oil.
But maybe there's some breather holes in chamber that could effect it.

Either way I'm waiting for some decent weather and some air filters to start the process of trouble shooting oil level.

Thanks for everyone's input.
It's appreciated.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 11:45:48 pm by street »

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #29 on: November 10, 2011, 01:30:38 am
Wow Bob, hasn't that excuse been used allready for the iron engines? Well, whatever, I'm glad I kept my "piece of junk" 05. ;)

I got two of them old junkers as well ..... they seem to do pretty well for ME!