Author Topic: RE+side vs KMZ/Dnepr  (Read 5988 times)

DukeEarl

• Scooter
on: November 06, 2011, 12:42:05 am
Hey there all. I am a 32yo looking to move back into the world of motorized transportation and being a life-long cyclist (it really upset my Detroit-born dad when I wanted to get a high-end bicycle instead of my driver license at 16) I have decided to stop thinking about it and stay out in the open air. I have been doing a lot of research and perusing of things the last few weeks and have pretty much nailed down my decision to either a Dnepr M650 with 2wd (which I can get easily from Vostock by just going over Donner Pass) or an RE, leaning towards the C5 Military, but open to suggestion, and was hoping that some of you here might be able to offer some advice and answer a question or two.

The RE has a huge advantage due to being a new machine with great reliability, but I have read a bit here and elsewhere that they aren't necessarily the best for adding a side to. Of course getting the side added to it also jumps the price up to the cost of a decent used Ural (which I have also considered and not completely written off) and well over the KMZ.

The KMZ/Dnepr on the other hand is an antique machine, despite being completely restored and in fine shape it will require more frequent tinkering. A task which I have  only a bit of experience, but am more than willing to learn. It (at least the bikes I am looking at) has the benefit of being 2wd, though I'm not sure how necessary that would be in the roads even with the occasional storms that get past the sierras and hit Reno. I am pretty sure that REs can not be converted to a 2wd. At least not without some serious work done.

Performance wise it seems they are in similar ranges with the Dnepr being specifically designed for the side and the Re needing some adjustments. Pretty much it seems to be coming down to is the reliability of the RE worth the extra cost as well as it being less ideal for a side than the antique bike designed for one. And sadly my budget currently won't allow me to just get both.

Thanks for your time
fixed gear bicycle. all custom on a IRO frame ;D

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #1 on: November 06, 2011, 02:38:49 am
Hmmm.

I don't  know what to recommend to you.   The RE will be a lot lighter than the Ural but the Ural would have a shaft drive.  The Ural will be able to haul more stuff for sure if you plan on using it for a grocery getter but a cozy works well also. 

Parts for the RE are pretty easy to come by and if you get a B5 the tub should bolt right on as apposed to having to buy and additional kit for the G5 or C5 as they have different frames.   Also consider all the rims on a B5 rig will be 19s so you will only need 19" tubes and rubber. The square B5 rear tire is great for towing a hack as it is long lasting and less likely to be scrubbed off as quick as more modern rubber.
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: November 06, 2011, 08:13:26 pm
Run, don't walk away from that Dnepr. Hang garlic around your neck and say 1000 hail Mary's and hope you don't get punished (lightning bolt etc.) just for thinking about buying one..

For a sidecar rig I'd go for the Ural. Built like brick outhouses and if their new enough you can still get parts for em.

CJ
1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"

bob bezin

• Grand Gearhead
  • I ride therefore I am.
Reply #3 on: November 07, 2011, 09:53:57 pm
does the dnper come with a machein gun? very cool... if you dont mind climbing hills at 5 mph.
2000 RE classic ,              56 matchless g80
2006 RE delux fireball       86 yamaha SRX 600                       
2015 indian chief vintage
65 500cctriumph
04 bonnie black
71 750 norton.
48 whizzer

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #4 on: November 08, 2011, 01:43:13 am
Run, don't walk away from that Dnepr. Hang garlic around your neck and say 1000 hail Mary's and hope you don't get punished (lightning bolt etc.) just for thinking about buying one..

For a sidecar rig I'd go for the Ural. Built like brick outhouses and if their new enough you can still get parts for em.

CJ

Oh, you WHINER!! You LOVED mine - admit it .... AND it kept up with you boys - even WITH the PartsMan in the hack .... and it hasn't shed a part since I've had it. There ISD no substitute for PIG IRON .... and LOTS of it!! Hahahaha!!!  ;) ... ;D ... ::)
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: November 08, 2011, 01:53:33 am
does the dnper come with a machein gun? very cool... if you dont mind climbing hills at 5 mph.

And if your unlucky enough to get stuck behind that thing trying to get up some tiny little hill you'll be covered with a fine layer of the sardine oil they run in those things. Not to mention the toxic fumes from the Minnesota moonshine mixture he puts in the fuel tank.
Nasty.
Yea, I loved it.

1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #6 on: November 08, 2011, 01:57:16 am
Heeheehee! That was the ever so slight smell of burning gear grease and aviation fuel that propels the mighty Dub-Nyepper over the highways and byways ..... It's perfume in Ukraine ... Har har har!!!

bob bezin

• Grand Gearhead
  • I ride therefore I am.
Reply #7 on: November 08, 2011, 05:23:30 pm
ya i admit it too. just love those RE rallys.
2000 RE classic ,              56 matchless g80
2006 RE delux fireball       86 yamaha SRX 600                       
2015 indian chief vintage
65 500cctriumph
04 bonnie black
71 750 norton.
48 whizzer

DukeEarl

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: November 08, 2011, 05:52:41 pm
I :) suppose I should have expected this.  ;D
I do have access to semi-auto MG38 and 42s through a friend, but the brandishing laws here in NV are not friendly to such.
Something about Urals just turns me off. I guess it is that they seem to have lost that military look which I prefer.
As a WWII re-enactor, British Airborne Recce, a BSA WD20 or a Norton big 4 are my dream bikes, but sadly they are out of my reach right now. Hence the desire for the C5 military

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #9 on: November 09, 2011, 01:29:04 am
I :) suppose I should have expected this.  ;D
I do have access to semi-auto MG38 and 42s through a friend, but the brandishing laws here in NV are not friendly to such.
Something about Urals just turns me off. I guess it is that they seem to have lost that military look which I prefer.
As a WWII re-enactor, British Airborne Recce, a BSA WD20 or a Norton big 4 are my dream bikes, but sadly they are out of my reach right now. Hence the desire for the C5 military

You can own a decent running WM20 BSA for about what the new RE would cost .... You don't want the PERFECT one, anyway if you are re-enacting, right?

DukeEarl

• Scooter
Reply #10 on: November 09, 2011, 02:26:40 am
And I just discovered a Norton Big 4 in Lodi. I'll be calling them tomorrow to see about pricing for sure.

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #11 on: November 09, 2011, 12:11:31 pm
And I just discovered a Norton Big 4 in Lodi. I'll be calling them tomorrow to see about pricing for sure.

Sweet bike!!! Let us know, will yee?

DukeEarl

• Scooter
Reply #12 on: November 09, 2011, 08:02:58 pm
Not surprising considering the place is in Lodi and is very boutique, but for 21,500 I could get a BAS, a new RE and a KMZ.  :D

kayak65cuda

• Scooter
Reply #13 on: January 20, 2012, 01:11:19 am
MotorcycleMuscleCarsPowerWagonKayakingBackpaking
'08 AVL Enfield, '74 Suzuki CT185
Past rides: '99 KZ1000P, '80 Suzuki GS750