Author Topic: Centerstand  (Read 4924 times)

ridgerunner

• Grease Monkey
on: March 31, 2008, 01:55:11 pm
hi all,
   I took delivery of my new 2008 Classic with the AVL engine in "British Racing Green" a week ago. I am following the "run-in" procedure and have run into a real concern. Even at run-in speeds of under 40mph I'm dragging the centerstand in curves. As delivered the stand hangs down at a nearly 45 degree angle. It just doesn't look right and gets scary in the curves. Is it supposed to be like this or is something not installed right? Any suggestions?
08 Bullet ES (AVL)
The Enfield saves on gas, riding the Enfield saves on Prozac. ;)

tanker

• Scooter
Reply #1 on: March 31, 2008, 03:07:29 pm
That doesn't seem right.  I just checked the centerstand on my Electra, and while the base angles down, it seems less than 45 degrees.  The "torque" arm on the left side of the centerstand is just about even with the rear footpeg.  I don't know if the mounting on the classic is different.

Congrats on the new bike.  If you haven't posted pictures already, I'm sure the gang here would love to see what it looks like.

Brian
Brian
2006 Electra-X
1994 Goldwing

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #2 on: March 31, 2008, 05:35:14 pm
Like Tanker said, it doesn't sound right.

What part of the MC is the centerstand making contact with? (I assume that it should be contacting the bike with a little rubber pad on the centerstand itself).

BTW, I'm the son of a WV ridgerunner.

Matt
« Last Edit: March 31, 2008, 05:45:38 pm by Thumper »

Nacho

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: March 31, 2008, 10:23:31 pm
I have an 08 Classic with the AVL engine too (in black with gold pinstripes).

I also had this problem with my centerstand.  If you remove the rubber pad from the centerstand where it stops against the frame it moves up much farther - your pegs will be scraping before the stand.  It hasn't made my bike rattle or anything.

ridgerunner

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4 on: April 01, 2008, 03:59:21 pm
Thanks for the responses!  :) I was considering removing the rubber piece but it looks so thin I didn't think it would make much difference. I guess I'll just go ahead and do it anyway. I'll try to post some pics as soon as possible.
08 Bullet ES (AVL)

Chuck D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: April 04, 2008, 03:17:47 am
Ridgerunner, welcome to the club and good luck. My bikes brand new too ('06 sixty-5). Your gonna love it! You too Nacho!   Chuck.
Ace "Fireball"#10 (Beefy the Bullet to her friends.)
 "Featherbed" frame by Rofomoto.

2017 Triumph T120

LJRead

Reply #6 on: April 04, 2008, 06:36:25 am
So ridgerunner, Thumper, you got me, what exactly is a 'ridge runner'?  Is it like a rum runner, or maybe a fire spotter?  Sounds like fun- can you take your R E along?

Nacho

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: April 04, 2008, 03:40:00 pm
Thanks for the welcome Chuck  ;D

I do love my RE!!

deejay

Reply #8 on: April 04, 2008, 04:16:04 pm
ridgerunner, that doesn't sound right at all, i'd check the installation of the centerstand or call cmw with your question.

Nacho

• Scooter
Reply #9 on: April 04, 2008, 05:13:57 pm
Its OK deejay we have already established that all you have to is remove the rubber pad from the stand

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #10 on: April 07, 2008, 10:36:07 pm
Do you still have the stock muffler?  If so the stand might hit  'it ' before its high enough to make a difference to the ground clearance.  The short muffler solves this. I had the same problem on my classic,bad on the left hand side. Now that I have the extra clearance  with the short muffler I'm thinking about bending the legs up slightly. I know this would act to shorten the legs, but I could allways tack a little something on the foot portion. One way or another that stand has to rest higher.
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

Nacho

• Scooter
Reply #11 on: April 08, 2008, 03:06:05 pm
I have a stock muffler and there is no clearance issue with the stand.  I can scrape the pegs on both sides now without the stand touching down (I say scrape but they are rubber!! So its more of a rub :))

I ride over railway tracks each day to and from work and I havent heard the stand rattle without the rubber pad there.

ridgerunner

• Grease Monkey
Reply #12 on: April 09, 2008, 05:02:40 pm
 I haven't had time to do much with the centerstand yet. Work has taken up most of my time lately, and the gray rainy weather has not done much for my run-in. I do appreciate all the input!
08 Bullet ES (AVL)

ridgerunner

• Grease Monkey
Reply #13 on: April 11, 2008, 01:08:59 am
Well, you guys were right. I removed the rubber and the centerstand moved right up to where it should be. I didn't think that thin piece of rubber could make such a difference, but it sure did. The torque arm now sits directly behind the sidestand.  ;D
08 Bullet ES (AVL)