Author Topic: injector cleaners for EFI Bullets  (Read 3440 times)

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
on: October 25, 2011, 01:24:18 am
Just wondering if anyone uses injector cleaners in the RE EFI bullets and if so what type.

Do the bullet injectors ever need cleaning?

Also are any of the commercial in-tank products likely to damage components of the Bullet fuel system ?

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #1 on: October 25, 2011, 02:20:13 am
The shit that passes for gasoline these days is LOADED with toluene and xylene - both WONDERFUL solvents ..... of paint, o-rings, plastic, rubber ...... you get the idea. As long as you don't let the bike sit for over six weeks at a time without putting fresh fuel in it, you should be good. After that amount of time the solvents evaporate from the mix of poop and leave asphalt and tar - which is used to "bind" the solvents into the mix ...... only the mixture is azeotropic and the stuff separates and goes away. I have found that simply adding the solvents BACK to the fuel (lacquer thinner) will do nicely when one is left to sit too long ....... that and a good LONG ride to get some fresh fuel in there ....
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #2 on: October 25, 2011, 05:29:05 am
Glenn
After about 10 years of riding my BMW K-75 it's injectors started acting up.

Hard starting, poor idle, lack of power.....

A weak dose of Chevron Techron fixed the problem after a 8 mile ride.

Normally, I wouldn't suggest adding any fuel injector cleaner to a motorcycles fuel but if the bike shows the symptoms of a plugged injector that is what I would use.

I forgot to add that these fuel injector cleaners are not the "if a little is good, a lot must be better" kind of stuff.

The bottles sold in auto supply's are made for a 12-15 gallon tank so go easy with adding this stuff to your RE.  Too much can damage the fuel pump and the elastmer seals in the fuel system.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 05:32:49 am by Arizoni »
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

ROVERMAN

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: October 29, 2011, 10:43:57 pm
Just spotted this thread. The finest treatment for F.I. systems and carbon/combustion buildup is at least in my opinion, Techron made by Chevron. Do a web search you will be amazed.
Robert & REnfield.

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #4 on: October 29, 2011, 11:53:44 pm
Just spotted this thread. The finest treatment for F.I. systems and carbon/combustion buildup is at least in my opinion, Techron made by Chevron. Do a web search you will be amazed.
Robert & REnfield.

Strange - Almost the same ingredients and types of ingredients as Marvel Mystery Oil .... a few more chlorinated solvents, though ...... so, yeah - It should work!

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: October 30, 2011, 02:30:00 pm
believe u can get a bunch of techron additive super cheap at Costco.....Isn't that the big sell with their gas too?   I use seafoam occasionally and haven';t had any problems with that product either...One bottle usually gets divided up between the three bikes...I sometimes hit the ride mower as well.....as arizoni has stated, I try to stay within the directions on the back of the bottle....We've  all seen the video of direct injection of seafoam into the intake of the EFI and the resultant carbon blow out at the end of the exhaust.....I haven;t tried that approach and defer to my brothers on the success or failure of the endeavor....Maybe just buying chevron fuel would do the same thing ? Not that I'm pushing their product......
Oh Magoo you done it again

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #6 on: October 30, 2011, 05:34:32 pm
If you want to get rid of carbon - feed it crushed walnut shells .... this is a HIGHLY effective method for bombing carbon out of a really mucked up engine .....  ;D

josepharra48

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: October 31, 2011, 02:28:27 am
I use Berrman's cem-tool. Much like the sea-foam but only cost $ 3.00 a bottle at wal-mart.  The new efi motors don't seem to carbon up as much as the old iron barrel. Maybe because of the higher compression and no oil usage???

richard

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: October 31, 2011, 03:27:35 am
More likely because the computer controlled fuel injection injects exactly the right amount of fuel for complete combustion plus the atomization of the fuel is much more complete.

The very light carbon buildup on the plug in the photo below is the result of riding for over 2000 miles on my UCE G5.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: October 31, 2011, 02:45:41 pm
Arizoni, the plug looks great after 2k..mine doesn't look like that after 2k...I'm running rich anyway on the micarb of my iron...I'm assuming the comparision pic was taken without any  fuel treatment done.  Either way,  looks like the EFI is setup perfect....Happy riding...
Oh Magoo you done it again

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: October 31, 2011, 09:49:02 pm
I took this picture right before I made my trip to the Arizona high country.

I had installed the plug on the left shortly after I got the bike because the Bosch plug that came with it was causing misfires.  I hadn't looked at it until I was prepping the bike for the ride and I thought, "That plug has a lot of miles on it.  Maybe I should change it before I leave."

I bought two replacement spark plugs and installed one of them.

No fuel additives or any other thing was done during those 2000 miles except to add regular 87 octane gasoline, ride and enjoy.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe