Author Topic: Puchasing new RE G-5 Classic, live near the Phila., Balto., DC metro areas.  (Read 7751 times)

rockndave

• Scooter
  • "THMPA"
Is the Minda bulb the same conversion I see on Nfield Gear for about $110?
2010 Royal Enfield Black G-5 Classic, "THMPA"
1998 Kawasaki 1000ZG Concours
1963 Vespa 150 VBB

"The mouth of a perfectly happy man is filled with Beer."-Ancient Egyptian  Proverb

Desi Bike

• Grand Gearhead
I dont know Dave. I got mine from the Canadian distributor. With viewing this website on a cell phone I dont have access to the Nfield gear website or catalog, its too graphic intensive and doesnt load. Sorry, have no access to a computer that is hooked up to the internet.  You can google 'royal enfield canada'  and get to them that way. Don't think he has much images on there. If you lok through the readers rides, you'll eventually come across a picture of my bike with the MInda Light installed.
میں نہیں چاہتا کہ ایک اچار
میں صرف اپنی موٹر سائیکل پر سوار کرنا چاہتے ہیں

rockndave

• Scooter
  • "THMPA"
Update on new black 2010 G-5 coming in:

This bike is being shipped to Philly Scoots from a dealer up north somewhere, should arrive in Philly this Tuesday.   Question:  What kind of money or accessories do you think they should be offering me as a result of this bike being a two year old model year bike, even though it is brand new?  I'm thinking $3-400.   

Any other pertinent advice before I sign on the dotted line?   I do plan to test ride before accepting delivery.

Thanks.

Dave

1963 Vespa 150 VBB

"The mouth of a perfectly happy man is filled with Beer."-Ancient Egyptian  Proverb

elwoodpdowd2

• Scooter
RocknDave,
Good for you.
Have you tried typing "discount" into the search dialogue box in the upper left of the screen to see what comes up? I think there was a conversation in August where $400 was tossed around. But do check and check with others.
Have you also looked at  cycletrader (traderonline.com  --select motorcycles, select royal enfield, select any distance) to see what the "prices" (albeit without dealer prep I expect) are if there are any 2009 G5s listed?
But if you have a good dealer and a good bike that gives you joy, then you paid the "right" price --whatever that turns out to be. :)
Be well.
Ride Safely.
Enjoy your new G5.
Elwood

P. Schraub

• Bulleteer
Hello rockndave,
        The first thing I would have the dealer do is install the 18 tooth counter shaft sprocket. It comes stock with a seventeen tooth, which you will quickly tire of. With the 18 tooth, you'll be able to cruise more comfortably without over-revving the engine. Just my opinion, but I know for sure that a lot of folks have upgraded for the same reason.

Maturin

• Grand Gearhead
  • My Precious
Second thing I´d ask for is the MINDA 7´ headlight. As it is a RE-stock part for almost any other export market except in the US, your dealer will certainly get a good invoice price.
Third thing to ask about is dependent on your own mechanical abilities as it is considered to be essential to rework and protect the wiring. This is not complicated at all, but if you don´t feel comfortable to do it yourself you should ask the dealer to do it. If you want to judge yourself, just open up the battery cover on the left side and think what bad vibrations will do to the tiny, almost naked lines and cables... ;D...quite a self-explanatory issue even for the dedicated amateur.
Some dealer do deliver the mule with a kind of survival-parts-kit that includes bowden cables for clutch and throttle, oil- and air filter and other trifles. Usually it´s a RE tradition to deliver the bike like this and there is even a parts list in the manual. Some dealers seem to "forget" it though. Ask for it! You´ll need this stuff anyhow anytime.
2010 G5
A Garage without a Bullet is a empty, barren hole.

When acellerating the tears of emotion must flow off horizontally to the ears.
Walter Röhrl

rockndave

• Scooter
  • "THMPA"
Thanks, all ,for the above info.   I'll try to keep it all in mind.   Good point, Ellwood, good bike, good dealer, good vibrations..........='s  GOOD TIMES!

Dave
1963 Vespa 150 VBB

rockndave

• Scooter
  • "THMPA"
Big day tomorrow, pick up my 2010(new) Classic G-5, black, at Philly Scoots.   Thanks all for helping me get this far!   Bike will have retro headlight and EFI silencer installed,   burgundy leather bags and brackets on order, along with goodies, sign, wallet, and other assorted "stuff".   I'm hooked........for sure!   Be ridin' with  y'all soon.......

Dave
1963 Vespa 150 VBB

FiRE Comms

• Bulleteer
  • '11 C5
congrats Dave, enjoy the ride!
Chris

iowarider

• Bulleteer
I dont know Dave. I got mine from the Canadian distributor. With viewing this website on a cell phone I dont have access to the Nfield gear website or catalog, its too graphic intensive and doesnt load. Sorry, have no access to a computer that is hooked up to the internet.  You can google 'royal enfield canada'  and get to them that way. Don't think he has much images on there. If you lok through the readers rides, you'll eventually come across a picture of my bike with the MInda Light installed.

Don't mean to be a know it all, but I just discovered this about a month ago. Mines an Android phone and it comes with a feature that lets you turn it into a wifi hot spot. I got a wireless adapter for my old desk top. went to settings turned the hotspot on and its great. Not as fast as a hardline. but fast enough for ngear. Some time it buffers a bit, like 10 seconds that feels like an eternity but it works.
82, Honda CX500
82  Honda GL500
2004 Honda Shadow Spirit 750

elwoodpdowd2

• Scooter
RocknDave,

Hoping all is well. Don't forget to give us a REport when you have the time. ;D
Be well.
Elwood

rockndave

• Scooter
  • "THMPA"
Got her home on Saturday.  Quite a trip, trying to park a truck and trailer in South Philly(very narrow streets and crowded) to pick up the bike. Philadelphia Scooters is in a tiny little shop in the middle of Little Italy.   Very quaint, but not easy to navigate, at least for a country boy.   I was lucky to find two parking spaces together, but no way was there any chance of just maneuvering the truck/trailer in place.  Had to unhitch and wiggle the trailer in, then put the truck in the other spot.

Philly Scoots is a great place to buy a RE.  All the guys are very enthusiastic about scooters and bikes in general ,and RE in particular.   They go out of their way to accommodate you.  I highly recommend them to any one in this area looking for an RE.  They have only been dealing RE now for a little over a month  and have sold  (4) already.  Look 'em up!

This Black 2010 G-5 is totally awesome.  I really love it. It looks great, has the Minda headlamp on and the EFI silencer, which Philly Scoots installed.   Most importantly, though, it FEELS  good, like a real motorcycle.   Got a good "thump", especially with the EFI silencer(sounds like a little straight pipe HD).

Now, if I can only get it registered..................MD always finds a way to throw a monkey wrench at you,   Can't register until I get a notarized Bill of Sale.  The notarized Cert. of Origin  I have isn't good enough.

Can't wait to be legally thumpin'!

Dave

1963 Vespa 150 VBB

mr bill

• Scooter
Hi Dave,

Congrats on the new machine, Philly Scooters is a welcoming dealership
last time I was there though I wasn't watching the meter and , yes,
a ticket to the policemans ball 28$. Best of luck with the G

Cheers, Bill

rockndave

• Scooter
  • "THMPA"
yeah, I loaded BOTH them meters up good!
1963 Vespa 150 VBB

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
south philly oh yeah....use to hang out there on occassion......use to be if u head over to 9th and christian their was the Itaian market with all kinds of interesting foods , fresh liive  chickens, Pats and Genos steak shop up the corner,  etc.....not sure if its the same today..Use to pretend we were Rocky runing down the street throwing our fist up in the air yelling yo adrian,
Kinda far for ya to get a Enfield from Maryland...Hope it works out for you..Good Luck
Oh Magoo you done it again