Author Topic: exhaust help!  (Read 11327 times)

saint45

• Scooter
on: October 22, 2011, 10:25:07 pm
I'm finally getting ready for an exhaust for my G5. any ideas? anyone buy one offeered thru Nfield gear? looked for an EM GO but could'nt find one....also, to baffle or not to baffle? thx ;D

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: October 22, 2011, 11:07:35 pm
The EFI silencer from Nfield works great. Mounts easily, very nice sound with being way too loud, but you can hear it a block away in normal neighborhoods. No baffle to worry about. No carburetion (Injection) problems. Five pounds lighter than the stock muffler. Great mileage.  It's a beautiful fit. Can't say enough about it.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

TWinOKC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: October 23, 2011, 01:22:10 am
The EFI silencer from Nfield works great. Mounts easily, very nice sound with being way too loud, but you can hear it a block away in normal neighborhoods. No baffle to worry about. No carburetion (Injection) problems. Five pounds lighter than the stock muffler. Great mileage.  It's a beautiful fit. Can't say enough about it.
Bare

+1   I like my EFI silencer from Nfield Gear, sounds good, not too loud, no problems at all.

Terry
2010  C5  Teal
2011 Triumph Bonneville T100
2015 Scrambler Ducati

bman734

• Grease Monkey
  • If it smells nasty, don't eat it
Reply #3 on: October 23, 2011, 01:54:10 pm
I LOVE LOVE LOVE my efi muffler. I had a guy on a Harley pull up beside me the other day to complement me on the sweet sound of my exhaust. I thanked him and told him that personally I had no clue what it sounded like from behind since obviously I'm riding the thing. We have a number of hills here in NE ohio that have concrete on one side or another and then you really get an ear full of just how sweet and poppy that single four stroke can sound like as you give it a little tug of the throttle. It looks great too!
Royal Enfield C5 Military
Suzuki SP370
Honda CX650
Yamaha XS650

TCP

• Caseman
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #4 on: October 23, 2011, 02:35:04 pm
Makes me want to go online and get an EFI silencer right now....

Riding with another bike that had loud exhaust, I couldn't even here my engine  at all.  Had to use the speedo, and try to remember what gear I was in.

Oh Bother.  Give me a loud exhaust
The Caseman

"Neither rain nor snow nor sleet nor hail
will keep me from riding unless I can't make bail"

1969 Triumph T120R
1972 Triumph T120R OIF
2011 Royal Enfield C5 Classic Chrome

Chiefharlock

• Bulleteer
Reply #5 on: October 23, 2011, 04:21:20 pm
I totally want to order one, but they are out of stock, or at least the were a week or so ago when I tried to order one.
Ton Up!

bman734

• Grease Monkey
Reply #6 on: October 23, 2011, 04:56:14 pm
In regards to noise levels, the efi is louder for sure but, in my opinion, not too loud at all. At cruising speeds its just background noise. When accelerating or going up hills, the efi does have a bit of pop to it, but in a good way, trust me. I've heard that the cone muffler that is out there, available from RE, is much louder. A neighbor hater as I've heard them described by the dealer. That's too loud for my tastes. I really don't think you'll be displeased with the efi if you get one. Of course it comes down to personal tastes of course.
Suzuki SP370
Honda CX650
Yamaha XS650

TCP

• Caseman
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #7 on: October 24, 2011, 01:35:23 pm
What about the claim of increasing performance?  Is this for real or just shameless advertisement.

Even squeezing 5 mph out of a topper of 75 mph would be 6.66% increase in performance.  That's nothing to sneeze at.

Caseman.

Did you try another dealer perhaps to get the EFI Exhaust.

Someone has to have one.
The Caseman

1969 Triumph T120R
1972 Triumph T120R OIF

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: October 24, 2011, 05:44:08 pm
I've never seen a dyno test from a stock bike, so I can't tell you if it's a real performance increase or not, but I can say the bike runs smoother and more evenly than it did with the stock pipe and much sweeter sounding. I got mine dynoed and came up with 18.75 hp. However I'm not sure that would actually be the best it could do as the tester put the mixture sniffer all the way up through the 1/2" hole in the muffler thus cutting off a good bit of flow through there. Someone else did a dyno test that was posted here and got something over 18 hp with the upswept pipe which is notably louder than the EFI.
I have heard mentions of about 16 hp from a stock bike, but I don't know if this was an EFI or not.
I'm going riding with a buddy tomorrow who has a stock pipe on his and do some roll ons and see how much I can pull him by. It's a bit unfair as he carries about 40 pounds over me. I guess we could swap bikes and see what difference that makes.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

TCP

• Caseman
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #9 on: October 24, 2011, 06:30:25 pm
I believe the factory spec sheet indicates 17.5 BHP, although the manual only lists KW @ stated RPM.

Anything above that would be gravy.

I am interested in hearing the results of your field testing Bare.

Although, the last time I let someone pilot one of my machines, he dropped it.

Experienced rider, but we were both at less than optimum performance level if you know what I mean.

That was a long long time ago.

Caseman
The Caseman

1969 Triumph T120R
1972 Triumph T120R OIF

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: October 24, 2011, 09:32:43 pm
I believe the factory spec sheet indicates 17.5 BHP, although the manual only lists KW @ stated RPM.

The factory specs show 27.5 HP. However that is at the crankshaft driving no accessories, ie, alternators, nothing on the primary drive, etc, no exhaust to speak of, just a bare engine. So a great drop from that they claim to the real world is a pretty standard. At least 20% is is generally about the minimum on a very efficient machine. Most factories don't even publish horsepower figures any more as all the publications test them on a rear wheel dyno so the perception of how the engines are tested make the manufacturers look bad. Basically it's all advertising hype anyway.
In the case of the Enfield and it's rather antiquated and not-so-efficient drive layout, untuned intake and exhaust systems, etc. it loses a bit more by the time the power reaches the rear wheel. But, we didn't buy these because they are crotch rockets, so it really is generally understood by the buyer that you ain't gonna be able to go fast on these beasts without considerable work.
We wanted a vintage machine without all the hassles of a vintage machine, but not expected much more performance than the original bike, but keeping the great looks and charisma. I feel I got exactly what I expected. It performs as well as it needs to in traffic, but keeps me out of the man's eyes. Just what I needed to keep me out of trouble. 
I love it.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

TCP

• Caseman
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #11 on: October 24, 2011, 09:52:04 pm
Yes,  27.5 BHP.  Monday morning brain failure.

True, we are not in it for speed, simply style and history.
The Caseman

1969 Triumph T120R
1972 Triumph T120R OIF

Chiefharlock

• Bulleteer
Reply #12 on: October 24, 2011, 10:12:45 pm
I think I'm gonna get a 27" tapered Fishtail muffler from Debrix for 47 bucks (not including the hanger bracket) and see how that works out...
Ton Up!

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: October 24, 2011, 10:49:40 pm
I run the upswept on my B5 and it looks and sounds OK.

It does have the occasional backfire if you have been hammering it and back off the throttle - clearly not enough backpressure for the EFI mapping.  The occasional backfire doesn't really bother me but I suspect one of those Harley style 1-3/4" mini baffles in the end of the pipe would cure it.

NOTE ... The supplied heat shield on the upswept is way too short and there is a tendency to melt/burn stuff. I fitted a Samson 18" heat-shield which looks made for the bike and completely solved the problem.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 10:55:40 pm by GlennF »

Chiefharlock

• Bulleteer
Reply #14 on: October 25, 2011, 01:14:51 am
where does one get this :upswept exhaust"?
Ton Up!

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: October 25, 2011, 01:36:38 am
In Australia it seems to be a standard Enfield dealer item.

Hitchcocks make one. I think the bottom one in the link below is a US imported Hitchcock version.

http://www.harleycustom.com/Prod-Royal_Enfield_-_Royal_Enfield_Motorcycles_-_Royal_Enfield_Spares_for_Royal_Enfield_350cc_and_Royal_Enfield_500_Motorcycles_-_Exhaust_Systems-50-751.html

If you do go with an upswept remember it will backfire occasionally and it DOES need a longer heatshield.

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: October 25, 2011, 02:30:58 am
Another option is the "Silman" brand short bottle silencer sold by Bulletwala. Great thump and nice fit on my C5........recommended by r80rt.  Turns out that this is probably the well known "Ludhiana silencer" from Punjab, India. Search for the Royal Enfield 500cc Electra silencer and it should show up.
2022 Continental GT 650 Dux Deluxe
2019 Himalayan Snow
2019 Interceptor 650 - Chrome...off the first boat!
Previous REs:
2021 Meteor 350 Supernova Blue
2014 Continental GT 535 - Red...lowest VIN off the first boat!
2010 Classic 500 - Teal Chrome

saint45

• Scooter
Reply #17 on: October 25, 2011, 06:59:22 pm
Thx for all the useful info. guys! Yes Nfield seems to be out of stock....still. I'll check with some dealers. Cheers.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #18 on: October 26, 2011, 02:34:47 am
Not being a Harley guy I have to ask.

Is there a box stock Harley muffler that is a bit louder and lighter weight than the stock "Torpedo" that comes on the UCE bikes?

I know Harley's use a 1 3/4" exhaust pipe like the 500cc RE's and I'm thinking about all the LOUD Harley's out there running straight pipes.

Seems there ought to be a bunch of almost new Harley mufflers out there that someone could pick up for almost nothing.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: October 26, 2011, 03:35:04 am

Is there a box stock Harley muffler that is a bit louder and lighter weight than the stock "Torpedo" that comes on the UCE bikes?

I know Harley's use a 1 3/4" exhaust pipe like the 500cc RE's and I'm thinking about all the LOUD Harley's out there running straight pipes.

Seems there ought to be a bunch of almost new Harley mufflers out there that someone could pick up for almost nothing.

The straight pipes generally have a small constrictor called a "torque cone" in the headers to give some back pressure. Even then they run like cr@p compared to the original pipes.

No idea where all those stock Harley silencers end up, probably kept by the cycle shop and sold off.

Chiefharlock

• Bulleteer
Reply #20 on: October 26, 2011, 02:52:08 pm
Sounds about right....
Ton Up!

bman734

• Grease Monkey
Reply #21 on: October 29, 2011, 12:58:25 pm
If we wanted to worry about horsepower w'ed buy a horse.
Suzuki SP370
Honda CX650
Yamaha XS650

TCP

• Caseman
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #22 on: November 03, 2011, 06:31:35 pm
OK.

My new EFI silencer arrived today.

Comes with one welded mounting bracket in the rear position (welded on the muffler) with a slotted connection plate.  Does this also need to be connected to the front exhaust mount, or is it secure enough with just the rear mount?  Also, came with no exhaust clamp.  The factory exhaust has an integral bolt clamp system.

Suggestions, comments, experiences please.

The Caseman
The Caseman

1969 Triumph T120R
1972 Triumph T120R OIF

TWinOKC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: November 03, 2011, 07:44:18 pm
2010  C5  Teal
2015 Scrambler Ducati

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #24 on: November 03, 2011, 08:02:03 pm
Anyone know what's inside the short Electra/Silman silencers from BulletWalla in India?  I know a few people have fitted them.  The EFI is basically  a straight thru glass pack with a small diameter, I think you can see that at the tail and I don't see that in the pics on the link below.  I'd rather have a metal baffle than a glasspack, I've heard the EFI and it'snot for me.  

I don't think the Silman is the same as the EFI, it has a bracket welded on at the front and I don't think the EFI does.  So I'm wondering what's in the Silman models.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-CHROME-ROYAL-ENFIELD-500cc-ELECTRA-SILENCER-ASSLY-/130408381836?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item1e5cf1fd8c

http://bulletwala.com/exhaust-systems/silencers/new-chrome-royal-enfield-500cc-electra-silencer-assly.html

Scott
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 08:17:13 pm by Ducati Scotty »

TCP

• Caseman
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #25 on: November 03, 2011, 09:08:04 pm
TWinOKC.

Thanks for the pic.

So it looks like you took the mounting bracket and attached to the rear frame member.

I assume there is an exhaust clamp under the heat shield.

I was also looking at some small (7") heat shields to cover the clamp.

This provides a rigid enough support so the muffler doesn't rattle?

Caseman.
The Caseman

1969 Triumph T120R
1972 Triumph T120R OIF

TWinOKC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #26 on: November 03, 2011, 10:48:35 pm
Yes, there are 2 band clamps under the 8" heat shield, the shield makes a smooth transition from the silencer to the exhaust pipe.  The silencer bracket is held to the back side of the silencer by 2 nuts, the other end of the bracket connects to the bolt on the back side of the passenger foot rest.  No rattles at all.   

Good luck,

Terry   ;)
2010  C5  Teal
2015 Scrambler Ducati

TCP

• Caseman
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #27 on: November 03, 2011, 11:07:08 pm
Looks good Terry,

Thanks for the feedback.

Ordering more parts now.

Spare the buck Spoil the bike.

Caseman
The Caseman

1969 Triumph T120R
1972 Triumph T120R OIF

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #28 on: November 04, 2011, 02:38:41 am
Anyone know what's inside the short Electra/Silman silencers from BulletWalla in India?  I know a few people have fitted them.  The EFI is basically  a straight thru glass pack with a small diameter, I think you can see that at the tail and I don't see that in the pics on the link below.  I'd rather have a metal baffle than a glasspack, I've heard the EFI and it'snot for me.  

I don't think the Silman is the same as the EFI, it has a bracket welded on at the front and I don't think the EFI does.  So I'm wondering what's in the Silman models.
I replied to your PM with more details as well. It has a metal baffle with offset inlet and outlet inside the chamber....definitely not a straight through.  Very nice construction overall and not excessively loud or blatty.
2022 Continental GT 650 Dux Deluxe
2019 Himalayan Snow
2019 Interceptor 650 - Chrome...off the first boat!
Previous REs:
2021 Meteor 350 Supernova Blue
2014 Continental GT 535 - Red...lowest VIN off the first boat!
2010 Classic 500 - Teal Chrome

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #29 on: November 04, 2011, 02:58:59 pm

Here's a stock Sportster muffler on my '08 AVL Classic. I have NO idea how a UCE with EFI would react to this muffler so don't ask me. I'm just throwing it out there as another idea. These mufflers (used) are out there by the thousands. I fabbed new front & rear mounts. Very simple.
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

TCP

• Caseman
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #30 on: November 04, 2011, 03:30:06 pm
Nice work.

I will fabricate something.

I always do.  If something is not made to what I need, I generally just make it myself.

There are a bunch of exhaust mounts out there.  One will surely be close enough.

Thanks for the response and pic.

Caseman
The Caseman

1969 Triumph T120R
1972 Triumph T120R OIF

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #31 on: November 04, 2011, 04:46:28 pm
Nfield had them in their catalog. My dealer had one when I got my EFI. I thought about getting it, but then went with the EFI instead. Might give Nfield a call and see what happened to them. Maybe they still have some.  ;)
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

TWinOKC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #32 on: November 04, 2011, 06:02:45 pm
It has a metal baffle with offset inlet and outlet inside the chamber....definitely not a straight through.  Very nice construction overall and not excessively loud or blatty.

Scott,

The inside of my EFI silencer is exactly the same as GSS described the other silencer, except my silencer is approx 23" long, where as one of the 2 you are asking about claims theirs is 30" long.  The extra length should give a little different exhaust note.

I wish I could hear one running with the longer silencer.

Terry
2010  C5  Teal
2015 Scrambler Ducati

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #33 on: November 05, 2011, 04:37:45 pm
My EFI mount. The mounting arm goes to the original muffler mounting hole. The 12" heat shield is from Bent Bike Salvage in Washington. You can see the front clamp for the muffler sticking out from under the shield.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

TCP

• Caseman
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #34 on: November 07, 2011, 06:32:26 am
This looks like the proper mounting.

The forward dynamic prevents any possible vibration sag.

Clamp and heat shield are all that are needed for a complete installation.

Caseman
The Caseman

1969 Triumph T120R
1972 Triumph T120R OIF

saint45

• Scooter
Reply #35 on: January 17, 2012, 11:33:46 pm
Hey All-
Thanks for all the advice! Finally put my EFI silencer on and Boy does it sound great!!!! Bike just seems to BREATHE better and run more evenly. Not sure bout HP...but dont really care. Sound and feel is GREAT! Its cold but clear here in CALIF.(40) but not bad riding weather for January!
Thx again :)