Author Topic: Spares for my C5  (Read 1690 times)

MegaMoo

• Scooter
  • Thumping in Paradise
on: October 22, 2011, 03:50:23 am
Hi Guys

I've just bought a C5 and having it shipped to Nassau in the Bahamas. It's quite hard  to get specific bike stuff here so am looking to buy some bits and pieces so that I can do minor services and have some parts for breakdowns etc. This is my first bike so am hoping to learn quite a bit about maintenance as I go along.

Since it's quite expensive and very slow to get things shipped individually I'd like to predict what I'm most likely to need and keep those here so that either myself or a mechanic can fix the most common issues. What do you think I should order from the dealer to keep my bike on the road?

Steve

Tri750

• Big Al
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #1 on: October 22, 2011, 04:12:48 am
A rock to hammer on things with.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 07:42:30 pm by Tri750 »
Current bikes:
'71 BMW R75/5 racer
'73 Kaw Z1 racer
'77 Tri 750 Bonneville
'99 BMW R1100RT

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: October 22, 2011, 07:14:21 pm
I don't know, that sounds like overkill to me. A lot of the fasteners should be able to be found at local hardware stores. I don't know how you could lose or screw up tank mounting bolts.

The oil filters
box of each bulb part no. A lot of these are easily findable locally.
one each brake and clutch cable.
loctite, available anywhere
battery, sealed type
battery tender

If you are going to get a quality drive chain and a couple spare masters, you should get some countershaft sprockets with it.
The brake and clutch levers are pretty tough, I wouldn't necessarily have them on the gotta have list.
Get a K&N filter The oil and cleaner can usually be found at auto parts stores.
A box of iridium plugs is overkill. 2 or 3 should last longer than the bike.
fuses can be found anywhere
Sealers, glue, JB Weld and such are available anywhere.

Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Desi Bike

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: October 22, 2011, 08:35:13 pm
Oil filters. There is littlle else that can't be changed to locally available stuff, other thqan sheet metal.
میں نہیں چاہتا کہ ایک اچار
میں صرف اپنی موٹر سائیکل پر سوار کرنا چاہتے ہیں

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #4 on: October 22, 2011, 11:45:54 pm
MegaMoo

When they say Loc-Tite, they are talking about the Blue Thread Locking compound.

Loc-Tite also makes a Red version that is for permanent assemblies and you don't want any of that for your bike.

Although any fastener on your RE that doesn't have a self locking nut should be assembled with the Blue Loc-Tite, you will only be using one drop of it per fastener so you don't need a big bottle or tube of it.  A couple of small bottles or tubes should last for years.

The Iridium or Platinum spark  plugs are good but for about 1/5 of the price you can buy a regular NGK # BPR6ES spark plug.
I have put over 2,000 miles on one of them and it still looks brand new so if you buy 2 of them you should be set for thousands of miles of riding.

If you don't already have one, I think you should buy a good Volt/Ohm (Electrical Multi-tester) meter.
They are almost indispensable for determining everything from the charge in your battery to finding a short or open electrical circuit.
I bought a excellent digital readout meter for less than $20.00 USD and found one that will work at Harbor Freight for $3.00 USD.
I carry the 3 dollar one in my bikes saddle bags.

A good chain lube made for motorcycles is a good thing to have to prolong the life of your chain.
Although a heavy oil can be used it will fling off all over your rear wheel while the lube made for motorcycles pretty much stays on the chain.

Your new bike should come with a spare clutch cable, throttle cable, a can of paint and a spare inner tube for your tire.  If you don't get these contact the dealer you bought the bike from.

The other things mentioned by others may come in handy but so far the only thing my G5 has needed are# 53 light bulbs for the gages and turn signal indicator light.

Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

MegaMoo

• Scooter
  • Thumping in Paradise
Reply #5 on: October 23, 2011, 02:57:40 am
Thanks Guys, that's really useful. Once the bike arrives and I've had a chance to go the some of the local auto shops  to see which of those they have I may have some more questions but that gives me a great list to work on so long!

Maturin

• Grand Gearhead
  • My Precious
Reply #6 on: October 23, 2011, 10:57:49 am
Recently I experienced an oil leak at the oil filter cover and Precious stood because of a part worth 0,85€. Veeery anoying. As almost all gaskets are penny parts, I recommend ordering replacement of casing cover gaskets left + right, the said oil filter cover, gasket for the oils sieve, oil seal for the oil drain plug, and, while we´re on it, a replacement seal for the front fork.
Places to get these are, of course, our host NFieldGear, aswell as http://www.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/home in the jolly old kingdom.
Best regards from Bavaria, happy riding - and tinkering!
Maturin
2010 G5
A Garage without a Bullet is a empty, barren hole.

When acellerating the tears of emotion must flow off horizontally to the ears.
Walter Röhrl

bman734

• Grease Monkey
  • If it smells nasty, don't eat it
Reply #7 on: October 23, 2011, 01:47:18 pm
I've got 2,500 miles on my C5 and the only things I've needed so far are chain lube and a bolt and washer for the chain guard that fell off a couple of rides ago. I've yet to get the loctite mentioned above and am still confused as to which bolts and fasteners that need the most attention. Waiting until the dang thing falls off can be too late if you are on a long ride obviously.
That said, have a blast with your first bike! You made a wise choice in our opinion, I think I speak for all of us RE owners and enthusiasts.
Royal Enfield C5 Military
Suzuki SP370
Honda CX650
Yamaha XS650

Lwt Big Cheese

• Grand Gearhead
  • Getting there, slowly...
Reply #8 on: October 25, 2011, 10:39:37 am
Take a spare bike.  ;D

Then if (!) you need to wait for any spares you can continue riding.
No warranty implied or given.
Packed in a protective atmosphere.
May contain nuts.