Author Topic: color match  (Read 1985 times)

pag5military

• Neophyte
on: October 19, 2011, 04:41:15 am
After having taken a stroll on a less travelled path - laid down the military  :'( - its time to rebuild. My understanding is that painted OEM parts may vary in color to some degree even though its from the manufacture. So I either pray and order, or plan B source a paint/powdercoat to match in olive drab. If I go the plan B route anyone have paint codes or ral codes or rattle can codes to achieve a 99% match..

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011, 01:18:33 pm
Take a random part to your paint doctor who has a spectrometer to match it. Paint codes will do no good on this - neither will Factory paint. The bikes are done in such small batches they ALL end up a different colour ..... A REAL auto paint store should be able to help you out - seek a Sikkens paint dealer and use their ColourMap system as a good alternative to a spectrometer .....
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: October 20, 2011, 01:24:39 am
  It  Sikkens me that I can't find that stuff around here, especially when two toning  ::) ;)  .....But I like Chroma One, (single stage,Base and clear), when spraying a single color, and no pinstripping or graphics are used under a clearcoat. it's also available locally. A bit pricey, but it flows out really nice. Saves on the amount of time it takes  too. With a military, you could get away without wet sanding and buffing. Not sure if you could get it in a flat or matte color though. And  It really does not pay to go cheap on the paint, especially on the gas tank... You don't need much of it. ;)
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #3 on: October 20, 2011, 01:24:06 pm
  It  Sikkens me that I can't find that stuff around here, especially when two toning  ::) ;)  .....But I like Chroma One, (single stage,Base and clear), when spraying a single color, and no pinstripping or graphics are used under a clearcoat. it's also available locally. A bit pricey, but it flows out really nice. Saves on the amount of time it takes  too. With a military, you could get away without wet sanding and buffing. Not sure if you could get it in a flat or matte color though. And  It really does not pay to go cheap on the paint, especially on the gas tank... You don't need much of it. ;)

Croma paints are pretty good - but not quite the handling of the "Stikkens" .... and not quite as chemical resistant, either .... but then - I don't get pump piss (paint thinner with an octane rating ...) on the tanks. You can use flatting agent (basically talc soup) to get that military look with ANY colour ..... and save the polishing for the "nice" bike! Hahaha!

bebopper

• Scooter
  • Military G-5
Reply #4 on: October 20, 2011, 06:20:35 pm
 I have a Military with rack, side guards and butterfly crash guard. None of the paint matches including the factory touch up. I added a tail-light and painted the turn signal chrome with

http://www.krylon.com/products/camouflage_paint_with_fusion_technology/

off the shelf from NAPA. The color is almost identical to the fender and it's proved to be rain proof. It's on the fragile side, rubs off easily, but it's durable.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 06:31:50 pm by bebopper »

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: October 20, 2011, 06:54:03 pm
It's on the fragile side, rubs off easily, but it's durable.

There is matte or flat clear available out there. You might try that over the color. It shoudl stop the rubbing off.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: October 20, 2011, 11:02:09 pm
  I'm not a expert on military motorcycles.....Other then I know I like them. But I have heard somewhere that.....Particularly with the Brits and the Germans,,,,,that they  pressed into service any bike they could get their hands on. Took off a minimal amount of parts and sprayed them. Rims...spokes...engines...handlebars and all. Missed area's, Some paint on the tires etc. Would probably be more " Authentic" then the perfect paint job.  I don't think those scouts and dispatch riders really gave a ........
What they looked like.

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #7 on: October 20, 2011, 11:25:09 pm
  I'm not a expert on military motorcycles.....Other then I know I like them. But I have heard somewhere that.....Particularly with the Brits and the Germans,,,,,that they  pressed into service any bike they could get their hands on. Took off a minimal amount of parts and sprayed them. Rims...spokes...engines...handlebars and all. Missed area's, Some paint on the tires etc. Would probably be more " Authentic" then the perfect paint job.  I don't think those scouts and dispatch riders really gave a ........
What they looked like.

YOU are ABSOLUTELY correct on this account! The Germans ESPECIALLY committed these atrocities to shiny new BMW's and Zundapp bikes. The Brits - not so much as they HAD materials to build motorcycles and plenty of them - although most of them that lingered got a one or ten really shabby "touch-up" jobs as did my own WM20. It had no less than six brush paint or roller jobs on it as I found out as I peeled back the layers (and saw each new, older date) on the tank. It was like an archaeological dig! It was "retired" in 1967 with 700 miles on it. I assume it had been hauled out, painted up for inspection - then tossed back storage 'til the next time. Lucky me ....... sigh .....

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: October 21, 2011, 07:04:08 pm
 Sounds purpose built. What is it? About 700 miles from Normandy to Berlin.... And hardly broken in...

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #9 on: October 21, 2011, 08:08:22 pm
Sounds purpose built. What is it? About 700 miles from Normandy to Berlin.... And hardly broken in...

Hahaha!! From the condition I got it in - I'd say it was a "driver's school" bike .... Hardly a straight piece of sheet metal on it - except the tank and the tool boxes .... Me thinks it had been overheated as well - the piston had that "Iron Barrel " look to it .... but all that is nicely redone at this point .... I need to quit working around on the dang HOUSE and get back to the IMPORTANT stuff!  ;)