Author Topic: Dead c5. Ideas please!  (Read 2652 times)

Iyyer

• Scooter
on: October 17, 2011, 07:36:08 pm
This past Sunday I rode my 2011 c5 for about 30 miles. After stopping for a coffee break, I tried starting the bike. There was a brief whimper from the starter motor and then nothing. I switched the bike off and repeated the procedure. Same deal. On the third try there was no sound and the fuel injector did not switch on. Kick start also did not work. All fuses appear fine and I cant see any obvious connection problems. Defeating the side stand switch also did not help.

The battery appears to be charged. All lights work. The horn sounds loud. I had to leave the bike in the parking lot and hitch a ride home!

Any ideas or suggestions from the gurus here. My nearest dealer is about 100 miles away and i would love to fix this myself if possible. Thanks in advance!

jartist

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: October 17, 2011, 10:47:42 pm
Since you disconnected the side stand switch already the next easiest thing to do would be to inspect the kill switch on the right hand grip.  With the key on switch it on and off a couple times.  If that does nothing get your wiring diagram out and start checking voltages at various spots like ignition, kill switch and the like.  There are lots of problems with solenoids but if the fuel pump and engine light don't come on when the key is turned on it's something else.

TWinOKC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: October 17, 2011, 11:03:34 pm
Since you disconnected the side stand switch already the next easiest thing to do would be to inspect the kill switch on the right hand grip.  With the key on switch it on and off a couple times.  If that does nothing get your wiring diagram out and start checking voltages at various spots like ignition, kill switch and the like.  There are lots of problems with solenoids but if the fuel pump and engine light don't come on when the key is turned on it's something else.

+1   The kill switch on the handle bar.  Has happened to me before   :-[

Warranty?  Hope there is a dealer close.

Good Luck
2010  C5  Teal
2011 Triumph Bonneville T100
2015 Scrambler Ducati

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: October 18, 2011, 01:54:04 am
Check and make sure the neutral light is on and it's not in gear, and the other switches that control starting are in their proper position. With the experiences with other machines that have an ECU it, my next trick would be to disconnect the battery, pulling your fuses should suffice.That will reboot the ECU and refresh the programming back to zero. Put the fuses back in, then try the starting sequence again. If the proper lights come on, you should be in business. If not, then we have to dig deeper. But I suspect is in the ECU, if it's not in the first lot of switches, the clutch switch, kill switch, Neutral switch, or side stand switch.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #4 on: October 18, 2011, 06:03:32 am
Turning the key on causes the ECU to go into a self check mode for itself and the various devices attached to it. See if the power relays have some loose in the right hand toolbox. After that I agree that the kill switch and clutch switch are the most likely. What is the battery voltage? It should be up to snuff at about 13.2.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: October 18, 2011, 07:43:01 pm
      It sounds like a charging issue. I bet you checked your battery by checking the lights. This only tells you that the lights work. It takes almost no battery power to run the lights. The clue is the starter almost working. You need to fully charge the battery. It should have around 13 volts. Now the bike will start. At idle you should read around battery voltage. When you rev it it should go up to about 14 to 14.5v. If id does not, or it goes up slightly then drops, then you have confirmed the issue. Next you check resistance and AC output on the alternator. If that is OK you need a regulator, If not, you need a stator and a regulator.

Sub

• Bob's Your Uncle
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2010 Black Bullet C5
Reply #6 on: October 22, 2011, 04:37:51 am
Check the wiring harness as it goes through the fuse box area in the back.. mine was shorting on some sharp metal and I had a similar starting issue.. once I sort of wiggled the wiring around and pulled it out a bit, the bike fired up.. but I also had fuses popping. but maybe  you've shorted one of those other little wires back there..

My other starting issue was starter motor related, but if you have a kick start, I guess its not that. I had to replace my starter motor. It was a slow death, I could take a screwdriver and whack it on the start motor and it would sometimes fire. :)

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #7 on: October 22, 2011, 05:37:28 am
Royal Enfield doesn't seem to be too concerned about wiring next to sharp metal edges but I had read that several people had problems.

When I bought my G5 I went thru as much of the wiring as I could see and decided to add some protection to it in the areas where sharp metal edges exist.

I posted a topic on this subject I think in the Tips section but to cut to the chase I slit lengths of plastic or rubber tubing and installed it over the wires.
Here is a photo that shows what I'm speaking about.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

mleo

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: October 22, 2011, 08:14:07 pm
Fuel pump relay? I had loose wire. It is on the left under the seat near the battery.

bman734

• Grease Monkey
  • If it smells nasty, don't eat it
Reply #9 on: October 23, 2011, 02:05:05 pm
I had the same problem when I first got mine and felt like an idiot after an hour of trying to start it in front of a bunch of Harley drivers that wanted to hear how it sounded like. It was the kill switch after all and we all related that it happens to all motorcycle riders sooner or later. Once you do it once you'll never do it again. I hope that's all it is. Let us know.
Royal Enfield C5 Military
Suzuki SP370
Honda CX650
Yamaha XS650

Okie Enfield

• Grease Monkey
  • RED 2010 C5
Reply #10 on: February 02, 2012, 10:59:04 pm
any word Iyyer?  ???