Author Topic: Ping timing  (Read 3783 times)

geoffbaker

on: March 28, 2008, 10:31:45 pm
I recently got my Bullet back up and running after a major rebuild.

Carb is set to factory standards and I've got a good idle.

I'm concerned about timing, though, and I have tried setting the timing a couple of times. I think I'm OK, but I find I just can't tell well enough to be certain.

It's very close to TDC, that's about all I can say, as using the TDC tool and setting the points got me more or less in the ballpark.

But no amount of fiddling (wheel in gear, rocking it back and forth) got me any closer to .8mm before TDC... close but no cigar!

The bike starts easily. Occasionally (esp if it has choke) I'll get a pretty vicious kickback when I start her, but mostly she runs fine. And I've heard others talk about the kickback, so I don't know if its a bad sign or not.

I'm worried that the kickback, when I get it, might be a sign of the timing being too retarded, and could cause damage to the engine. (I broke the kickstart spring already from the recoil, but that couild have been just from age).

I've run the bike up to 3/4 throttle under load, and I don't think I'm hearing pinging. But I don't trust my ears, either!

Suggestions, tips, advice welcomed!

luoma

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: March 28, 2008, 10:43:32 pm
Sounds like your timing is too far advanced if you are getting kick back. If you get that taken care of and it still pings, try going up a grade in octane.

LotusSevenMan

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...._[:]@==<
Reply #2 on: March 28, 2008, 10:44:36 pm
Geoff.
Sounds like you are pretty close to where it should be!!!
The timing being out to the extent that gives a kickback is too far advanced not retarded. This can also be if the battery is a bit down on power or the kickstart is given a slightly lazy kick I've found.
I have moved my kickstart lever to a fairly clockwise position (if viewed from the rhs). This ensures a good swing/engine rotation and kickback now doesn't occur as it did occasionally before. The downside is I can feel it against my leg slightly more while riding. Small price to pay.
The pic below shows the bike kick start as I collected it. Now, the k/s is just slightly in advance of that cadmium plated nut just in front of the air filter box

If it ain't broke-------------------------- fix it 'till it is!

Royal Enfield Miltary 500cc  (2003)
Honda VTR FireStorm (SuperHawk) 996cc 'V' twin
Kawasaki KR1 250cc twin 'stroker
Ducati 916 'L' twin

Emmet

• Tampa Bay Piper
  • Scooter
Reply #3 on: April 03, 2008, 01:18:24 pm
I was getting some pinging going up a grade (the high bridges) with my wife on the back. Increasing the octane from regular to mid-grade solved the problem for me.

fredgold52

• Grease Monkey
  • Macomb, IL Flatlands Rule
Reply #4 on: April 07, 2008, 10:21:47 pm
I know this is a tough question, but what does "pinging" sound like?
2006 '65' and a 200cc Stella, Indian all the way

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #5 on: April 07, 2008, 10:38:16 pm
It sounds like pebbles hitting your cooling fins, Ping!
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

alwscout

• Bulleteer
Reply #6 on: April 25, 2008, 03:22:51 pm
To hear ping if you have it, try accelerating in a higher gear than needed when testing for ping so that your exhasut note is softer and you can hear the engine if it pings.Take off in first and second like normal but instead of going into third go straight to fourth or even fifth if you like. It's pretty obvious to my ears when I do it this way. I pull over and make an adjustment or two then I'm good.
REA Member #10