Author Topic: Speedo Cable Fell Off G5 During Ride  (Read 1755 times)

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
on: October 16, 2011, 11:16:23 pm
There are many reports of parts falling off RE Bullets when riding, such as foot rests, locks, turn signals and lights ............  My G5 did something quite unexpected while I was riding today. Everything was working fine including speedometer. A few miles down the road during which it had its share of our bumpy roads as usual, the speedometer needle read only 0 ! As I looked at the front wheel, there was this dangling speedo cable sleeve. The nut must have loosened due to its notorious vibrations and completely come off the speedo hub drive. The flexible rotating shaft had slipped out of the sleeve and fallen somewhere on the road way back.

I turned around, rode for a couple of miles looking on the roads to see if I could find it - but no luck. Initially, I was a bit disappointed but soon felt a sense of freedom that I do not need to look at the speedometer at all to see how fast it is going - it was good enough to know which gear I am in and listen to the sound of engine :D !

From now on I think I need to use Blue Locktite on the new cable nut, when or if I install it.  Wonder who else lost speedo cable !  
« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 11:59:53 pm by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #1 on: October 16, 2011, 11:24:29 pm
Didn't you get a spare speedometer cable when you bought your bike?
If not, maybe you should talk to your dealer if he is still in business?

Knowing you and your attention to maintenance  you won't be happy without knowing the bikes mileage. :)

As for a need to know what speed your at the only times I worry about it is if I'm leading the pack.  If there are other cars around me I just go with the flow.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #2 on: October 16, 2011, 11:25:47 pm
Mine has come loose a few times.  The indicator that it's loosening up is that the speedo acts erratically.  Wild swings, long time to come down to zero, etc.  I haven't needed to Loctite it, just a good turn with pliers usually holds it.

Scott

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ride carefully - You are invisible.
Reply #3 on: October 17, 2011, 06:27:12 pm
I used some blue threadlocker and hand tightened mine.  No problems since.  Yet...   ;)
A Royal Enfield owner's cup is always half full.

street

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: October 18, 2011, 02:12:20 am
Singhg5:
Might need it hooked up to keep track of mileage.

I didn't receive a replacement either when I got my G5.
Asked dealer about the replacement parts that are supposed to come with the bike as per pg. 56 of the owner's manual and said he had nothing, mentioned it may be a geographic thing, and not to worry I'd be taken care of if I needed them.

Great but would like to have them when/if I need them as opposed to having to arrange to get them down the road.
Not sure why those parts are not simply included in a small pack when you get the bike.

I got the impression my dealer never knew about it.

Seems like an odd inconsistency that some get the parts and others don't.

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: October 18, 2011, 06:58:36 pm
I did not get a spare speedo cable from the dealer - but I did get a tube, a clutch cable, and perhaps throttle cables. I bought a new one from a new dealer to keep track of mileage, so that I can change oil every 2000 miles !  

But I did enjoy running G5 without the speedo needle going anywhere - it was pure fun. May be I should cover the speedometer with tape and occasionally peek at the odometer  :D.

Oh, that gave me a chance to make this -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWTdX-zam48&feature=channel_video_title
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 07:12:41 pm by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

Jack Leis

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 G5 Classic, F&%king Stolen
Reply #6 on: October 18, 2011, 07:24:24 pm
I certainly enjoy your videos, keep up the good work!
I would much rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow    Jack

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #7 on: October 18, 2011, 11:24:43 pm
singhg5

You're simply having too much fun with your camera and editing software. :)

Great job, as usual. 
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

kauai1800

• Bulleteer
Reply #8 on: October 20, 2011, 03:29:36 am
Hadn't seen all your nice videos singhh5...just subscribed. I'm gonna do the LED mods you mention.
'05 Royal Enfield Deluxe
'64 Volvo 1800S