Author Topic: new milary color  (Read 7121 times)

Monty

• Scooter
on: October 15, 2011, 12:26:24 am
Just saw the new color RE is offering for the military...Great looking bike, might have to pick one up.

Thank RE for making a bike in the desert color

TWinOKC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: October 15, 2011, 12:49:50 am
I haven't decided yet.  The darker color was cool, maybe the lighter color will grow on me.  Sure makes the bike look a lot different, then again I'm not a big fan of military stuff.  
2010  C5  Teal
2011 Triumph Bonneville T100
2015 Scrambler Ducati

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #2 on: October 15, 2011, 01:09:00 am
Glad they finally took my advice on that ......
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

P. Schraub

• Bulleteer
Reply #3 on: October 15, 2011, 02:28:36 am
Just My Opinion,
        The military color looks great, however, a true "military " bike would have ZERO chrome, as they did not want to be seen at night. Think of all the money RE could save if they didn't have to chrome anything!

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #4 on: October 15, 2011, 02:33:18 am
From the complaints about the chrome I've read, they come damn close to zero already.

As many of you know, I live in Phoenix where rain almost never occurs.

The only water I recall riding thru was a short patch where the underground water line had forced water up thru the pavement.
I have only ridden thru this puddle 3 times in the last 2 months and yet as I looked under the bottom side of my torpedo muffler I spotted 3 areas with some rust showing. :(
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #5 on: October 15, 2011, 03:00:50 am
Just My Opinion,
        The military color looks great, however, a true "military " bike would have ZERO chrome, as they did not want to be seen at night. Think of all the money RE could save if they didn't have to chrome anything!

The older models had green wheels and green/black engines.  I think the earliest UCE Military's off the line had green wheels (a  friend has one) but now they are chrome.  Economy of scale, the painted ones are more expensive since they are such a small minority of the production.  Cheaper to make everything chrome.

Zero chrome with a black exhaust would look way cool but even just getting rid of the chrome wheels and polished side covers would be a huge improvement.

Scott

indyogb

• .22 Bulleteer
  • Scooter
Reply #6 on: October 15, 2011, 06:23:53 am
I like the green better, but the brown/tan isn't bad.  Also, count me in with the no chrome crowd.  I like the old iron barrel military (I also liked the hard cases on it) but the chrome on the new one looks out of place.  I can definitely understand the economies of scale argument, but it is a shame.  I suppose blacking out the pipe, side cases, indicators, and wheels wouldn't be too hard and would help quite a bit.

Maybe they'll make one with the old German grey next.  Wait, would that be wrong?  Couldn't be any more wrong than Daimler building Jeeps.

Monty

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: October 15, 2011, 09:15:43 pm
Kevin,

Is this a color that is going to stick around or is it a special color with limited run

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: October 16, 2011, 01:17:11 pm
The older models had green wheels and green/black engines.  I think the earliest UCE Military's off the line had green wheels (a  friend has one) but now they are chrome.  Economy of scale, the painted ones are more expensive since they are such a small minority of the production.  Cheaper to make everything chrome.

Zero chrome with a black exhaust would look way cool but even just getting rid of the chrome wheels and polished side covers would be a huge improvement.

Scott

I recall reading the issue with the painted wheels was, as you would expect,  they chip and rust more than chrome, and their were customer complaints.

Presumably there are other options like powder coating but they are not economical at present.

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #9 on: October 16, 2011, 04:02:51 pm
Just My Opinion,

Get out the rattle can  ;) ..... it can look like the one that I built with painted cases, etc .... which really IS right for a military machine .....
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #10 on: October 17, 2011, 10:29:01 am
There is no way to tell how long the color might last. The painted rims were discontinued for many reasons but customer complaints were the main factor. Actually paint and powdercoating are cheaper than the plating. The C5 frames are powercoated for example and the factory has a brand new paint booth so neither is a problem. I have seen entire powdercoated bikes as the factory as part of a series of experiments. At the end of the day because customers objected to any little mar, ding or signs of a tyre being installed the factory decided to discontinue it. Very difficult to touch up.  It was the same with the engine. The engine was painted with a spray gun but was not baked for obvious reasons unlike the rest of the paint. It came off pretty easily and of course got banged up pretty easily. I always thought that all of this was consistent with the look of a Military bike. They were painted that way back in the day to camouflage them sort of, not to win a bike show. However.....I am not the customer however and the customers ruled.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

Lwt Big Cheese

• Grand Gearhead
  • Getting there, slowly...
Reply #11 on: October 17, 2011, 10:29:41 am
Wehrmacht grey would be a nice colour.

If you add a swastika, you could get in to all sorts of arguments with those who only know the swastika from the Nazi's and not as a peace symbol, from where it was hijacked.
No warranty implied or given.
Packed in a protective atmosphere.
May contain nuts.

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #12 on: October 17, 2011, 10:33:42 am
LOL the Swastika would sell well here in India where as you point out it is a peaceful symbol.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: October 17, 2011, 02:32:27 pm
Wehrmacht grey would be a nice colour.

If you add a swastika, you could get in to all sorts of arguments with those who only know the swastika from the Nazi's and not as a peace symbol, from where it was hijacked.

Oddly the people who argue its a peace symbol usually turn out to know nothing about Hindu or Buddist beliefs and actally want to use the NSDAP version on a tee shirt,  in computer games or on a historic WWII vehicle :D

The appropriate Third Riech symbol for the  "desert storm" color would be the Afrika Corp emblem with the palm tree over the swastika in a circle. However as Enfields are of British origin presumably Montgomery's 8th army would be the best option.

TCP

• Caseman
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #14 on: October 17, 2011, 07:45:01 pm
The Swastika is also a symbol of the sun from ancient S. American Indian cultures.

Still, I feel that that particular adornment would be misunderstood by most.
The Caseman

"Neither rain nor snow nor sleet nor hail
will keep me from riding unless I can't make bail"

1969 Triumph T120R
1972 Triumph T120R OIF
2011 Royal Enfield C5 Classic Chrome