Author Topic: The Badger has gone Flat Tracker!!!  (Read 4257 times)

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
on: October 14, 2011, 08:59:21 pm
Nice article on Pipeburn about the Badger 2.0.  What a b-e-a-utiful machine.  Great photos.  Where's the battery?

http://www.pipeburn.com/home/2011/10/13/royal-enfield-bullet-the-badger-v20.html

2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #1 on: October 15, 2011, 05:51:32 am
I believe the battery is tie wrapped to the frame in front of left side number plate.  Sweet setup.
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #2 on: October 16, 2011, 01:35:28 am
I just got some emails from Team Badger that they have plans to take the bike to Maxton NC for the "Maxton Mile" Land Speed Record attempt.
I had some emails with Leon about gearing and aerodynamics. It will need a very good fairing if it's going to get near where he wants it to go.

He wants to try for 125mph, and I told him......maybe 120.
We'll see.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: October 18, 2011, 10:40:35 pm
Hi Ace,
 If our machines are anything to go by, our 500 can pull 125 mph at peak power rpm on the dyno [46 bhp] with the highest gearing we run [and also reaches these rpm's and more on the track], peak power is around 6,200 rpm. BUT ... racing gearing will be different to a speed record attempt gearing and our gearing varies from track to track and is usually lower than the above, two circuits excepted. 37 bhp from the 350 gives 114 mph, so I would guess that 40 bhp should be enough for a light machine with good streamlining. I could count sprocket teeth tomorrow if it might help, but you know as well as I that you will want pretty tall gearing. Also Avon race tyres put around 2bhp more to the ground than the equivalent Dunlops, although 'Henchy' prefers the Dunlops for his cornering style. What I mean is research your tyres and their sizes, the right choice might be the 'clincher'.
 Good luck !
 B.W.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #4 on: October 19, 2011, 02:31:20 am
Hi Ace,
 If our machines are anything to go by, our 500 can pull 125 mph at peak power rpm on the dyno [46 bhp] with the highest gearing we run [and also reaches these rpm's and more on the track], peak power is around 6,200 rpm. BUT ... racing gearing will be different to a speed record attempt gearing and our gearing varies from track to track and is usually lower than the above, two circuits excepted. 37 bhp from the 350 gives 114 mph, so I would guess that 40 bhp should be enough for a light machine with good streamlining. I could count sprocket teeth tomorrow if it might help, but you know as well as I that you will want pretty tall gearing. Also Avon race tyres put around 2bhp more to the ground than the equivalent Dunlops, although 'Henchy' prefers the Dunlops for his cornering style. What I mean is research your tyres and their sizes, the right choice might be the 'clincher'.
 Good luck !
 B.W.

Thanks BW!
Our engine isn't tuned as highly as yours. We are on pump fuel, and relatively low compression in comparison. But we can bump up the compression for race petrol, and I think that will  be a must.
We peak hp at around 5800 rpm, and can hold it pretty well up to 6000 rpm or a little bit more.
I told him a 21 tooth spocket and a good full fairing could potentially get 120 mph.
I don't know about anything more than that.
If we ran some wilder cams and much higher compression like you do with the methanol, we'd have more of a shot at it. But I don't have that stuff because I only made hot street parts and not racing parts.

I do have some hotter cams coming up with .410" lift so if they get done in time, that might help..
I also have a ram air intake with tuned airbox which could add a few ponies at the top end too. It's not pretty, but it works.

All told, it's just a work in progress. These boys are putting this bike into roles that I really hadn't intended it to go into. But, it's hanging in there, so we'll just see what it does.
One thing appears certain, and that is that this bike is holding up to alot of hard use!
Home of the Fireball 535 !

trees

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: October 21, 2011, 06:41:14 pm
Ha! Was just going to post this.

BigDon

• Grease Monkey
Reply #6 on: October 26, 2011, 08:02:37 pm
Bummer they couldn't make Barber.....I wanted to see it....now where is Maxton????
BigDon
REA #73
08 RE Classic, the last of the Iron Barrel Bikes.(FireBall!)
05 Suzuki DRZ 400, for haulin' xxx in the woods!
09 BMW R1200GSA for a change of pace!
http://www.youtube.com/user/SlooDon#p/u

geichal

• Grease Monkey
  • REA #64 ...not quite done, but close...
Reply #7 on: February 21, 2012, 12:46:32 am
Very Sweet Bike!!!
geichal