Author Topic: stuttering on deceleration  (Read 1208 times)

edthetermite

• Grease Monkey
  • The Emperor has no skin.
on: October 09, 2011, 11:28:14 pm
I am throwing this out there cold turkey as I have not yet investigated the issue at all. I have recently noticed the Bullet now has a tendency to stutter on deceleration. I can be riding along say around 50-55 mph and go down a slight grade and let off the throttle a hair to keep from picking up speed and the bike will start to stammer and stutter a bit. As soon as I reapply throttle it picks back up. Acceleration through all gears is strong and continuous. It's only when I back the throttle off just a tad that it occurs.

???

Ed
Ed   - Long Live the Iron Barrel !!!!

2008 Military RE "535"    2006 Ural Gear Up

mikail gransee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: October 11, 2011, 12:36:36 am
It is probably due to detonation and unspent fuel getting "ignited" in the hot exhaust causing a "popping". Or "backfire" it is not bad for your engine but engine braking is...try pulling in your clutch when going down a hill and see if it goes away. :)
-"ONCE YOU STOP CONTRIBUTING, YOU BEGIN TO DIE",   -ELENOR ROOSEVELT

1999 Enfield Bullet
1977 Yamaha xs360 TD
1978 Yamaha xs 400 D
2005 Yamaha YZF 600R
2007 Honda CBR 1000RR

edthetermite

• Grease Monkey
  • The Emperor has no skin.
Reply #2 on: October 11, 2011, 04:46:49 am
It is probably due to detonation and unspent fuel getting "ignited" in the hot exhaust causing a "popping". Or "backfire" it is not bad for your engine but engine braking is...try pulling in your clutch when going down a hill and see if it goes away. :)

It is not popping or backfiring. It's acts more like a lack of fuel but it does this after decelerating...... ???
Ed   - Long Live the Iron Barrel !!!!

2008 Military RE "535"    2006 Ural Gear Up

Chasfield

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: October 11, 2011, 11:20:52 am
Maybe the low manifold pressure, with part closed throttle, is exaggarating the effect of a leak in the inlet tract, which makes the bike run weak until you open her up again.

Check out the mounting rubber.
2001 500 Bullet Deluxe