Author Topic: Brown liquid coming from the exhaust  (Read 6513 times)

greggers

• Bulleteer
on: October 09, 2011, 09:06:18 pm
So I have a G5 that was sitting for a while. I was putting on the EFI exhaust in July, and noticed the header was loose, went to tighten the nuts and got a little over zealous, and broke one of the studs. I ordered a new one through a local dealer and it finally came in a couple weeks ago, but in the mean time my bike was sitting in the garage idle on a charger. I installed it and went for a 80 mile ride last Saturday with no issues.

I decided to try and do my first oil change the following day, and was hoping to go riding after but bad weather moved in so I waited until this weekend. The oil change went mostly fine, though I did over fill (just over the top mark when cold) somewhat, so I removed some a couple days later by putting the bike on the side stand and letting as much oil would come out through the drain hole, closing it up, and then carefully adding until it hit right around the middle line between the marks. Verified that it was there still today.

Today the weather had cleared up and I was going to go for a ride. Went through my normal pre-ride check, started the bike to let it warm up while I put on my gear. I noticed after a couple minutes that it looked like a lot of steam (maybe smoke? it was dissipating quickly so I'm pretty sure it was steam) coming from the tail pipe, and on closer inspection a lot of brownish water droplets spraying everywhere. I dabbed them with my finger, it wasn't oil, and it doesn't smell like fuel, so I think it's just dirty water. The temperature did cool off this week quite a bit, but I've ridden in colder times before, and my bike is covered in a garage. I've never seen this before. I let it run for a bit to see if there was just some condensation built up inside, but after a couple minutes it was still spraying so I killed the engine and parked the bike.

I'm still relatively new to the bike maintenance thing, so I'm not sure what to make of this. Any advice is appreciated.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #1 on: October 09, 2011, 10:27:23 pm
It was water that had condensed in the exhaust.

That's pretty common even with cars but most folks don't start their car and then walk around behind it to see the steam/water drops coming out of the exhaust so they never think about it.

Unless your muffler is made out of stainless it's a good idea to ride it far enough to evaporate all of the water that's in there. 
If left in place it can rust the insides of the muffler.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

hocko

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: October 09, 2011, 11:11:40 pm
Arizoni has hit the nail on the head. We have a fleet of about 40 cars here, some only get started once a week if that. All without exception blow a Little (Or more that a little) condensation upon startup. That is why short ,infrequent trips do more harm to the muffler than  good. Always try and take it for a good run to dry up any moisture in the exhaust.

Cheers  :)

greggers

• Bulleteer
Reply #3 on: October 11, 2011, 12:54:51 am
Thanks guys. Condensation was my first thought but I'd never seen anything coming out in this volume before so I wanted to make sure, especially since it was just after my first self oil change. I went out for a couple hours riding and it seemed to clear up and run great, so looks like everything is fine.

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: October 11, 2011, 01:18:41 am
Shame the brown liquid didn't turn out to be beer  ;D

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #5 on: October 11, 2011, 01:42:46 am
They just don't build them like they used to.

My AVL Classic is hand made and never does that.
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)