Author Topic: Will i be the youngest RE owner on here? :)  (Read 3328 times)

fantomsingh518

• Neophyte
on: October 07, 2011, 03:11:56 pm
Hi guys, im Steve and im planning on gettin a 2011 c5 in a couple months. I rode a bullet 350 in India and now i want one here in NY  ;D. im 20 turning 21 in March. I think im probably the youngest person on this forum. I originally wanted a crotchrocket (GSX-R 600) but after a talk with my friend on how im gonna kill myself on a rocket..i decided i was going to get a bullet...c5. Quick Question tho...can i get alloy wheels in the U.S?? like i see in india see link below for example.
http://www.punjabiportal.com/punjabi-wallpapers/bullet-wallpaper-motorcycle-wid-401.htm

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: October 07, 2011, 06:30:45 pm
If they aren't available here, you can always order them from India or wherever they were made.
One source http://www.premjis.com/spares/wheels.htm
Bare
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 06:37:42 pm by barenekd »
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: October 07, 2011, 06:31:41 pm
First, congrats on your decision and I hope you love the bike.

You can get a far wider range of anything for motorcycles in the US than you can in India from what I've seen, at a far higher levels of quality and commensurate price.  (unless you need a cheap part for your 120 Honda/Hero or whatever...)

You can even get wheels as ugly as the ones you posted.  :D  Given the post Orange County Choppers hangover this country's in, it's not gonna be hard.

Quick google shows:  http://www.wixwheels.com/motorcyclewheelcatalog.pdf as an example, and I'm sure that's nothing compared to what you could find/spend.

"Custom chopper wheels" "motorcycle alloy wheels" etc will get you more results than you want.  I for one, however, would discourage the purchase of wheels that potentially cost a large portion of your bike's worth, especially when they only change the aesthetics rather than improve the bike's functionality for you.

To each his own, however...certainly my soon-to-be Enfield project is not going to be to everyone's taste.  Just remember that an Enfield in America is by comparison an oddball, small, classic, and interesting motorcycle, not the fire-breathing King of the Road cruiser bike it's often considered in India.

Edit to add:  one practical consideration is that alloy custom cruiser wheels (and matching tires) in the US are more likely to be found in fatter widths than used stock on the Enfield, so consider what will actually fit inside the relatively narrow frame/fork.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 06:37:07 pm by AgentX »

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
Reply #3 on: October 07, 2011, 06:38:23 pm
You might be the youngest, and I think you will find we are all open minded, accepting people here on the forum... even to young guys who have odd taste in wheels.  ;)

Welcome aboard and good luck.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 04:56:29 am by boggy »
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: October 07, 2011, 09:22:07 pm
The spokes flex, and absorb shock which this wheel will not.

Also, check this out:

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,11416.0/all.html

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #5 on: October 08, 2011, 01:28:12 am
Hi fantomsingh518 and welcome aboard.

Good choice IMHO Bullet instead of crotch rocket. Easier to ride well and no wrist

Cheaper insurance, superior fuel economy, easy maintenance = more money left in your pocket. :)

Did I mention chicks dig this bike ?  ;)  8)

Another advantage that wire wheels have over cast is the ease of flat repair.
Sooner or later you  get one. Simple matter to fix with wire wheels.
Breaking the bead on cast wheels requires a bead breaker or a call to AAA.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2011, 04:27:39 am by Ice »
No matter where you go, there, you are.

Desi Bike

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: October 09, 2011, 03:48:57 am
Most of the major Indian wheel suppliers will ship Alloy wheels over to North America for far cheaper than buying from an American bike customizer. There is one of the 10 Chrome C5's that were shipped over to Canada running on a set of Alloy wheels he got sent over for for less than the cost of one from the US dealers.  If it is alloy wheels you want, then go for it. It will be your bike, and feel free to do what you want to it. ..and congrats on the choice of an Enfield.
میں نہیں چاہتا کہ ایک اچار
میں صرف اپنی موٹر سائیکل پر سوار کرنا چاہتے ہیں

Maturin

• Grand Gearhead
  • My Precious
Reply #7 on: October 09, 2011, 10:41:00 am
Hiho fantomsingh518,
congratulation to your idea to save up the GSXR for later periods of your life - it´ll be an exellent choice in your midlife-crisis, then  ;D.
Up to that point, however, it´s fine to do some serious motorcycling - on a Bullet.
Right after the Enfield-grin, that is included in the price, the second best feature of this vehicle is the possobility to turn it into whatever you´d like to. Looking around the forum you´ll read stories of folks who chopped, bobbered, caffee´d the bike, by either removing anything or adding tons of stuff - or both. There are even people who simply take place and ride - fancy that!
If you´d like to hear a word of advice from somebody who more probably belongs to the latter group: before you spend your hard-earned money into gadgets and devices for your soon-to-be Bullet, ride it first. Quite possible your priorities will shift, maybe from wheels to a seat, or handlebar, or more power, different tyres and so on. You´ll know when you´ve done some kilometers. Maybe you are going to arrive at the conclusion to leave it like it is and spent the money on your girlfriend, what´s probably not smarter, but a different matter alltogether, and requires another forum. Regards
2010 G5
A Garage without a Bullet is a empty, barren hole.

When acellerating the tears of emotion must flow off horizontally to the ears.
Walter Röhrl

Maturin

• Grand Gearhead
  • My Precious
Reply #8 on: October 09, 2011, 10:50:43 am
2010 G5
A Garage without a Bullet is a empty, barren hole.

When acellerating the tears of emotion must flow off horizontally to the ears.
Walter Röhrl

redcat

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: October 09, 2011, 01:22:51 pm
Hello there and welcome! From what I've seen on line if you survived riding in India you'll do just fine in New York. I don't know if you are the yougest or not but new young blood is always a good thing in this collection of old bastards. Have fun and be careful. T
Watch out for the guy behind the guy in front of you

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: October 11, 2011, 04:20:05 am

Just remember that an Enfield in America is by comparison an oddball, small, classic, and interesting motorcycle, not the fire-breathing King of the Road cruiser bike it's often considered in India.

The market in the west is totally different. The Indian market seems full of younger guys trying to "modernize" their Enfields to be more like japanese bikes with digital dashboards and mag wheels and so on. The market in the west tends the other way going retro and trying to make the Enfield even more like a classic vintage British bike or classic 60's cafe racer or old school bobber.

Fantom ...

Its not so much an age thing with Royal Enfield but a case of class and taste. Overall most "western" Enfield riders tend to be experienced riders with a lot of years on two wheels behind them. Newer riders, whether the young or the mid life crisis "first bike" older guys will tend to go for one of two extremes, boy racer crotch rockets or the Harley style cruiser nonsense. Its good to see the occasional younger rider joining the Enfield fold.

As for mags, in the end its your bike and do with it what you want :D

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: October 11, 2011, 11:05:24 am
Edited:  Damn, forgot our Flickr link was made private.  Will upload intended photo later.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 11:07:32 am by AgentX »

TCP

• Caseman
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #12 on: October 11, 2011, 08:57:07 pm
My new RE is my midlife crisis bike.

I just couldnt see myself on one of those crotch rockets.
That's not why I ride.

I do believe its a matter of taste and style.

RE's are one in a million.

In Miami, I have never (NEVER) seen another one on the road.
Most people don't even know what they are.
They ask me, "Who makes that"
I just smile and say Royal Enfield of course

It's not that I choose to be exclusive, just different.
The Caseman

"Neither rain nor snow nor sleet nor hail
will keep me from riding unless I can't make bail"

1969 Triumph T120R
1972 Triumph T120R OIF
2011 Royal Enfield C5 Classic Chrome

Bumbadawg

• Scooter
Reply #13 on: October 14, 2011, 06:39:02 pm
Well your just a little younger than me (24) but all the more power to ya.

I get chills when I think of this bike. I am a history buff and am a semester away from getting my degree in Military History. Though I know this bike was not built immediately following the war..it was not long after. I knew a guy once who fought in the war and talked about riding motorcycles when they came back. Just a big group of guys piecing together bikes and riding for the thrill of it and challenging each other. The first cycle clubs. When I think of this bike it makes me think of riding down tight narrow hedge rowed lanes in Europe. May sound lame..n I have never ridden a bike..but it was either this bike or a vintage German scout bike with a mg42 bolted on. I somehow dont believe that would be street legal though.

Take care and good luck on making your bike pretty. =)

pz for now,
Joe

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #14 on: October 15, 2011, 04:42:29 am
I guess it depends on where you are but take a look at this sidecar setup that shows up at some car shows in Scottsdale, Arizona.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

TCP

• Caseman
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #15 on: October 15, 2011, 02:41:08 pm
Well there you go then.

I bet he never has to fight for a parking space.
The Caseman

"Neither rain nor snow nor sleet nor hail
will keep me from riding unless I can't make bail"

1969 Triumph T120R
1972 Triumph T120R OIF
2011 Royal Enfield C5 Classic Chrome

Desi Bike

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: October 15, 2011, 04:08:25 pm

I bet he never has to fight for a parking space.

heck no, he just makes his own. lol
میں نہیں چاہتا کہ ایک اچار
میں صرف اپنی موٹر سائیکل پر سوار کرنا چاہتے ہیں

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: October 16, 2011, 05:34:58 pm
Here we go.

Sophie thinks you will NOT be the youngest RE rider here.