Author Topic: Economy Bullet Turnsignal Lights Heads-Up  (Read 2223 times)

fredgold52

• Grease Monkey
  • Macomb, IL Flatlands Rule
on: March 27, 2008, 09:57:59 pm
I spent the last few days messing around fitting the Economy Bullet style lights to my original turnsignal stalks.  I think it turned out well.  I noticed after getting the new signals mounted and wired that the engine needed to be revving a little for them to flash.

I initially suspected my grounds as that is usually where problems come from.  Nope, they're fine.  I checked the resistance of the new lamps Vs. the old lamps.  New lamps are about 3 ohms, while the older lamps are about .5 ohms. 

Lower resistance in the older lamps means they draw more amps.  It takes amperage flow to make the flasher flash.  I changed the lamps and now they flash fine without needing 3500 rpm.  BTW, the older lamps are 10 watt rated.  My guess is the newer lamps are 5 watts.

I wanted to post this in case anyone here had encountered the reluctant flashing thing with the Economy Bullet Style lamps.  I'll try to get some pics of my installation pretty soon
2006 '65' and a 200cc Stella, Indian all the way

Byway

• Inner State.
  • Scooter
Reply #1 on: March 28, 2008, 03:49:16 am
That's some good info., Fred!   Definitely something to watch out for since those are popular turn signals to upgrade to!

Al
2001 Royal Enfield Bullet Classic;  1988 Yamaha Virago 535;  1999 Suzuki Katana 600; 2001 Honda CN250 Helix;  1972 Honda CB350SS.